Theory Crafting: Help me make a nox mage work

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Deebo, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

Back in the old days of UO, I had a nox mage named Johny Noxville ( very original right? Hey it was the 90's and I was a skater punk). This was my favorite character and I had a lot of success with him in PvP. From my research of this shard, nox mages seem completely useless due to cure pot success rate and no timer on the use of cure pots. How can I make this work? I had an idea to pick up just enough taming/lore in order to have an army of scorps constantly applying poison to waste cure pots and make them unable to heal while under the effects of poison, but I feel like it would just be too easy to kill/ run away from the scorps. I really want to revive one of my oldest and favorite toons, so I am open to any and all template suggestions. Let's get creative here. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I am just looking for some creative template ideas that I can try out. I already have a toon with GM Magery/ med/ eval/ resist/ wrestling. If I can't get a nox mage to work, I can always scrap it for a stun mage.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

basic

resist/mage/med/eval/anatomy/tactics/fencing
    90/45/90 is a good starting ground for stats - set a goal to adjust later

carry DP dagger/kryss (emphasis on the plural) and a decent spear (gold +)

... a little weird

Use fencing/swords as a delivery method for poison
    resist/mage/med/eval/anatomy/wrestling/fencing

fencing there as a delivery device for DP via dagger/kryss/katana
    access to both stun (wrestling) and paralyzing blow (spear from fencing) OR concussion blow (halberd from swords)
  3. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

I guess I must come to terms with t
    I guess I may have to come to terms with the fact that the old nox mage is dead. From an RP perspective, I really just wanted a poisoner to work and I guess I really don't have to have poisoning on the toon, These are both really interesting specs. I can just carry plenty of Dp'd weapons with me. The second spec really fascinates me. Access to two separate stuns, ability to basically be a tank mage. With med, mage and pots, I should be able to keep myself healed.
    Very interesting specs both worth a try. Great input. Thank you. I might try them both out and see how it works.
    I like the creativity in the second spec. Nice work,
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Don't take it so bad.

Here, have a bad meme.

5. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

That just gave me another +1 for this community. Seriously though, thanks for the input man. I am trying to relieve the old days, but with the addition of razorr and easily accessible macros, the game has changed, and i just need to learn to adapt.
    wylwrk likes this.
  6. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

If I can pick your brain one more time.. , I am just getting back into this game and have very limited experience in PvP, which is something I am looking to change his time around. I am really fascinated by the spec #2 you provided, but do you think it would be more beneficial to have double para or para/concussive? The last time I started on this shard, I went full PvE, but I am looking to learn how to fight now, I understand this may not be the ideal pvp character, but I can always easily create one of those. I am trying to find a balance between what I used to love about this game and be able to remain somewhat competitive.
  7. Balgami

Balgami Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Having poisoning on your pvp toon is pretty useless but there are multiple ways you can incorporate poison in PvP. Forget about going in the field or 7x without stun.

You can always be the one who casts poison in dumps which is pretty effective in group pvp. You can also practice your poison lock and be really good at 5x. Or you can do crooks' build: 5x mage + anat and swords like the guy above suggested.
    One likes this.
  8. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

So realistically with this build, I am still a mage. I don't need tactics or healing because I am mainly using my weapons to apply poison and not as a main source of DPS. Plus if I go fencing I have the added bonus of switching to spear for para blow? If I take wrestling I can also add stun punch. So which would be the better weapon choice to take, swords or fencing? I am really liking the spec that is coming together here guys, thanks for the help.
    One likes this.
  9. Lnomer

Lnomer Well-Known Member

Deebo, go for fencing I'll say cuz probably the only advantage of swordsman over fencing is the burst damage(since you won't have tactics that won't effect you). But conc. blow is pretty useless cuz its not %50 percent like in old days.

So if you get fencing you can have %99 percent win chance with the right combo if it comes... You can load para blow drop hand stun drop to kill someone... There are a lot of factors of course in between like %25 chance of parablow and %50 chance hand stun must hit for you to have that particular combo... Other than that dagger - kryss poison works pretty well and I think you can hit u to 15 damages with good spears even without tactics...

People with good ping should really consider that buid :)
    For people like me healing is the one to go
  10. Deebo

Deebo Active Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I am going to give this build a try. It seems like a great way of adapting one of my old favorite characters to the new style of play. If it doesn't work out, it is easy enough to make adjustments since I have already GM's the more difficult skills.