Thief Reticle

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by Skouros, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Skouros

Skouros Member

(Is there a better place for this? I wasnt sure... I thought about posting it in the Renaissance forum but...)

I was thinking about tools to supplement my chosen play style and how there are a few lacking areas, specifically in the department of precision thievery and good timing. I wanted a few things:
    • An on screen timer in a HUD like style, something I didn't have to look very far or hard to spot.
    • A reticle to indicate where my character was in a huge crowd, especially a crowd of dragonz or other huge tamed pets.
    • A reticle to indicate where the safe distance was from NPCs. Though a good thief just knows this on instinct, with a larger and higher resolution monitor it becomes an eye strain, and CLEAR lines would certainly be nice!
    And so, I present to you, the Thief Reticle!

[​IMG]

As you can see it has the nice bright green border, the main character reticle, and the timer. The files actually include a series of 10 images to count that timer 1-10, allowing you to track the timing on your skill use with ease. (Ex: I hit steal on 8, so next time it hits 8 I can make a grab and then hotkey steal again and go twice!)

The software used for this is this wonderful thing I found, completely free and open source.

http://customdesktoplogo.wikidot.com/

And the files themselves.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jqTCv1NMomTGpZTUxGem1lVEk/view

To use them:
    • Unzip the folder into your Custom Desktop Logo > System > Images folder.
    • Open Custom Desktop Logo settings, on the Select Images choose Change Image Folder and select the Thief Reticle folder.
    • Go to the Animation / Graphics tab at the top of the settings menu and change the Frames Per Second to 1 and the Delay Between Animations to 0.
    • Adjust your Opacity to your preference (I am currently using 255 [100%] but with modified files you may wish to change it).
    • Find a location with nice square floor tiles to make aligning the overlay easier.
    • Go to the Location tab at the top of the settings menu and choose Centre, then in the Location Offset section adjust the position of the overlay until it lines up with your character! You're done!
    ------

There are a couple things about this that are interesting. For one, it need not be only a thief tool, of course. You can easily edit the images with your editor of choice (will need to be able to edit transparency in PNG files). This should let you change the colors, change how the counter works, add features if you can think of any good ones (please do, share them here!) I imagine this might be fairly useful for spell ranges as well.

Another added bonus is this is an overlay and not part of the client rendering. Screenshots do not display it! (Unless you use Windows print screen or some kind of special screen capture software for your screenshots.)
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    BlackEye likes this.
  2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is simply awesome.
    I see this as a huge help to place houses also. Great findings!