Thieving

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Codus, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

So ... i ventured down the dark path of theiving and I am kind of bummed. What is the reason that EVERY time I steal something at GM Stealing I turn grey to the world?!

If i am a gandmaster thief.. wouldnt i at least have ... even a 1% chance not to be grey stealing 1 onestone diamond? Just my 2 cents... you can pick em off my gaurdwacked corpse in town.
    Gozinya, Jakob and Jack of Shadows like this.
  2. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Heed the call of this desperate man, one of many! Will nothing be done to this injustice?
    Codus and Jack of Shadows like this.
  3. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

1. Keep no sight through walls
    2. Reduce fails (you aren't supposed to fail on stacks at all, you should get a min amount every time)
    3. Fix guards being called by npcs faced away on one stone items
    4. reduce disarm fails through armslore (nothing better than failing 3 disarms and 2 or 3 steals on a heavier wep)
    5. gm - 10 stones, like the 1 point hit with melee, there should be a min that gm doesn't notice or get gw at unless player initiated (such as 5<, 6-8 mostly successful, 9-10 risky only half or 1/3 of the time)
    6. Stop making rares over 10 stones (this is a blatant nerf on the class when you make ALL rares heavy)

a few other things. I think Russell is right in that it is time to fix game mechanics in place than focusing on new content for a while. This is exactly what OSI would do, they'd keep rolling out new stuff without ever getting previous things working properly.

Anyhow, it might get a lot of flack, but I've played a thief for a long time, and it's pretty horrible here in all honesty when compared to Prodo, the thief might have been over powered, but nerfing it down to pointless in town (you aren't going to steal with regs or supplies on you, so that's another nerf, if you do get away you have to wait til your are blue to restock, or have some stashed somewhere)

I realize (that like pks) the potential for abuse is pretty high, but this was a valid and powerful fun class that is a part of UO. I really really would like to see it fixed.
    Gozinya, Supra, Basoosh and 1 other person like this.
  4. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

I think the only spawning rares that are too heavy to steal are barrels (15 stones). The rest of are all of stealable weight I believe (though there are several that are 10 stones: Cauldron, Pot of Wax (large), Tall candelabra, vases, broken chairs).

So there's plenty of them to steal!

Server birth type items are typically 20 stones or so from what I have seen though.
  5. Jack of Shadows

there are a lot of cases where the rares are too heavy, on prodo statues and potted plants were 1 stone, stuff like that, but I'd like to see the majority of it stealable (it should be locked down or in a bank anyhow) I also am for runebooks being target stolen (0 stone item? whatever) and the bod books if that was changed (used to be able to targ steal them here, but someone told me it's random now)
  6. Jack of Shadows

oh but when I complain about weights, it's more on fails, amounts from stacks, and use of the skills than just random rares being too heavy. I was guardwhacked automatically yesterday for trying to steal a carrot by an npc facing away and half a screen away. It's pret - t- y- poo.
  7. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

You know the new they're saying: "Don't touch them carrots!"
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  8. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Oh yea, here we go with this thread again!

It's very rough for thieves, but victims are very confused by the current system too. (i.e., He went gray, I called guards, nothing happened, this is lame!) Very veteran players have been confused by it even.

My proposal (that I always post in these threads):

• Thieves continue to always go gray on a theft.
    • NPCs no longer call guards on thieves, ever.
    • Players calling guards on thieves always works, with three exceptions.
      • Does not work if the thief has gone invisible.
      • Does not work if the thief is off screen.
      • Does not work if 10 seconds have passed since a theft.

This gives thieves the ability to outwit active players and strip-search players foolish enough to go AFK with loot on them.
    This gives actively-playing victims the chance to defend themselves.
    And AFK victims just get screwed (as they should).
    Codus, Gozinya, Lord Krake and 5 others like this.