Thinking about playing. 2 questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Holophonist, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Holophonist

Holophonist New Member

Hey guys, I'm one of the forth coming slew of IPY3 refugees. It was leaked today that IPY3 will not be launching... period. My sister found this shard so I've been checking it out, skimming over the FAQs etc for the last coupe hours (off and on). I just had a couple of questions before I hop in.

1. Obligatory 'how populated is it?' I saw there were close to 500 online earlier. Is that pretty standard? That seems like a pretty decent amount.

2. Are there any custom... I hate to use this term.... 'endgame' features? As in any special pvp system or player run town system or anything like that? Or is it pretty strict pure UOR?

Thanks for any info.
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Holophonist

1. You can see a graph of the servers activity here. And while its easy to quote numbers, just take a little time and log on and you will find a very active server.

Server Status

2. Any custom elements you find here will fit within the Renaissance mechanics. So while we have expanded the fishing class with new endgame content (Ancient MIB's) this content would have been right at home in 2000 on an OSI server. So we are inspired by an era in UO's history, however we are not locked into it. You will find this server to be a very stable one, where development is done professionally and with minimal to no tinkering.

A quick review of our patch notes since the server went live will give you a good idea of our development mentality.
    Patch Notes

You can head on over to the ERA Discussion forum to join the conversation on how to perfect the Renaissance era.
    ERA Discussion Forum
  3. Holophonist

Holophonist New Member

Thanks very much for the quick and thorough reply.

When you say you are inspired by UOR but are not locked into it, does that mean such large scale systems may one day be considered? I only ask because the one thing I feel UO has always lacked is systems like that. Large scale gold sinks and things to work towards.

P.S. I'm not at all telling you how to run your server. It's not my intention to register on your forums and start complaining about a shard that I haven't even played yet! Just giving my 2 cents. Thanks again.

EDIT: Nice quote in the sig by the way. Godfellas, great episode.
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This guide contains a ton of info about uo in general and elements that are unique to Renaissance.

The population here is very pleasant and I feel there is a great balance of good vs evil and order vs chaos aligned characters both in game and on the forums :mrgreen:

Hopping into IRC will get most of not all of your questions answered.

Welcome!
  5. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Thanks, I find that is a great rule to follow as staff on a UO Server.

As for large scale systems sure, we are always looking to improve the server, while not alienating the players expecting a familiar UO:R experience they might have had in 2000.

As for a gold sink, we have by far the best statistical information available for a free shard, and have gone so far as to develop a desktop application that provides us with daily reports on the servers health. In the next few patches we will be unveiling our custom clean up brit system that will be a persistent system to balance out the economy in new ways. (Rather than encouraging hoarding by being a short term event)
    World Economy

Also here is a link to our blog covering some of the larger changes we have made.
    UO:Renaissance Development Blog
  6. Holophonist

Holophonist New Member

Definitely reassuring to see you guys are on top of things like that.

But let's be honest, rule #1 about UO private shard forums is you use the "gold sink" excuse to argue for something you just want. Come on now....
  7. Holophonist

Holophonist New Member

Wow that guide is.... extensive. Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to hop in IRC when I end up playing.
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Here is my guide on what has been added to this shard that would seem "new" or "custom" to someone who stepped out of a time machine from 2000-2001 UO:
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3663

It's just a sentence or two on each feature, with a link to more in-depth info if you're interested.
  9. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

If you start near Vesper I put up a vendor specifically to service new players and get them set up with a decent magic weapon(force or might)/magic chest piece (I think all are guardingatthe moment) and some bandages and still leave them with plenty of their starter gold left. There are also bandages for sale at cost, recall scrolls, pre-marked bank runes, etc. There are some higher end items on some of the vendors as well but the primary aim is to give new players a start without giving direct hand outs. I know some players like being handed a house and 20k as soon as they log in but know there are players like myself that do not so my aim is to help those folks.

This vendor is located at the Vesper Cemetery gate, pretty convenient location since you can pick up your starter bag and start killing some undead within minutes of starting at the Vesper Inn since the Cemetery is on the road directly North of the Inn. I'll also be adding a small rune library to the house over the next day or so but south of the Inn is a very nice rune library at a large marble house.
  10. MavisBeacon

MavisBeacon New Member

I'm an IPY3 refugee, started playing yesterday. Thanks for the vendor you put up, it's been very helpful.

I have a question to add on to the OP that didn't seem worth it's own thread: Does skill gain slow as you approach the 700 cap?
  11. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

There are no penalties or bonuses towards skill-gain for any circumstances. Skill gain rates remain the same regardless of your location or skills-total, etc.
  12. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

As far as I know skill gains are not reliant on other skills in the sense that you are asking. As you get into the mid,high 90's most skills gain really slow but the amount of total skills is not relevant.
  13. MavisBeacon

MavisBeacon New Member

Good to know; I figured as much, but wanted to be sure before I macro up anatomy only to find I'd screwed myself down the line.