Thinking of jumping on the boat...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Skynyrd2, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Skynyrd2

Skynyrd2 Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hi there,

Don't really want to be "that guy" spamming the forums. I run one of the biggest guilds on the other server and really have had hopes for it for some time. But, after recent discussion it is fairly clear that server is in a tailspin and has no admin that really cares a whole lot.

I launched on UOR but did not put a ton of time in due to the lack of population. The last month or so I have been checking back in and things seem to be looking UP! I love all the additions to the website and content added in game. The population seems to be a direct result of hard work upon staff. It will be interesting to see what this server can do in the coming winter.

Thinking of bring a few people over with me and some back who started early on not 100% sure yet. But, this is the only server I have seen UOR wise that actually reminds me of that time. It could be right on the cusp of greatness.Hopefully I don't get blind sided again by false hopes of a dying server and fully make the jump. I appreciate your time and effort that has been put into this server, as a Ultima Online freeserver supporter this is a great thing ! Thank you :lol: :lol: :D :D
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

You are very welcome, on behalf of me (because I am awesome). :cool:
  3. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

We await you with open arms and a poisoned kryss! :lol: I kid (because I'm a lousy PVPer) but seriously the more the merrier.

This shard is growing, and it is pretty clear why: the staff is awesome and involved, and the content is fantastic and continues down the road to perfection.

Long live UOR!
  4. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

JUST DO IT MAN!!!! Every minute you wait is a minute wasted!!!
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I started here in early April. The average online population has more than quadrupled since then. Things only seem to be going one direction for now!
  6. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member

I could use some more people to pvp. I look forward to your return.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome Back to UO Renaissance.

You are just in time for our Halloween Festivities.

[​IMG]
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Mr Skins,

Can I call you skinny? Good. Jupiter here. I feel compelled to reply because I had many of your same concerns. I also had started on UOR but I didn't stick it out either for the beta. However after seeing what they have provided here with attention to mechanics and useful and meaningful added content I am now addicted. I worked with a player named Blaine the Gypsy on UOSA to build up an RP village called Paws, but after we grew 90% of our ranks migrated to UO Forever. I couldn't follow there because, although it did have added content, it came at the expense of integrity and there was just too much of the frivolous content. But I finally heeded the patient invitations of Blaise and Gharrick and I have not regretted my move here.

Hope to see you in UOR.

_ Jupiter the Grey
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I love it here so much I almost dont want to refresh my stuff on the other shard. Almost.

On that note, selling off second age holdings for UOR pixelz.

Welcome kind sir skynerd, stay a hhhwile.
  10. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Didn't even think of this...!

Trading 1 Billion gold on Great Lakes for gold here! :)
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

LOL, intrAshard trade is within the bounds of the rules. I traded back and forth with a couple folks over time but only to help them out because I have literally no need for anything in the old lands. I have my stores of rares and personal mementos in my banks, but it'll likely never be put to any use.

I remember a day when Telamon (Chris) mentioned possibly working on a UOR project. We never really chatted about it again until a few months later when I asked him about it because I was eager for a better UO than I was presently trying to enjoy. I logged in and since that day, have had some of the greatest times I've ever had in UO. I played for about a week in secret, while the shard was in Beta. Having a rather large guild on our old shard, it was a scary concept to tell my closest friends and members that I was thinking about jumping ship. There were a handful of folks so eager for something great that they immediately went full force UOR. Others trickled in over time, having such a strong foothold in their old lands, starting from scratch was not enticing. Personally, I love the build up and immediately started liquidating homes and consolidating my wealth over there to commit here full time.

The funny part is that many many people jumped to the conclusion that Telamon bribed me or enticed me over here in some way, because I was an outspoken GM of one of the largest guilds on the shard. It amuses me to think that he really only mentioned it off hand once. Perhaps he was wise enough to know that planting a seed would do better than trying to sell me an orchard. I might have been offended at such a proposition considering I was quite a loyal supporter of the old shard. Since then he has enticed me endlessly by providing unparalleled content on the website, meaningful and enjoyable features in game and commitment to avoidance of obnoxious hues and things like beetle mounts and other silliness. The feature set here is bar none and as long as the administration stays on this road, I'll be here until the end. I've said it more than once that this will be the last UO shard I play.

Whew, did I jsut ramble on or what? Point being, welcome aboard. Hit me up any time if you have any questions or need a hand getting established here. We have a fair amount of assholes as one might expect in Feluccia, but that's what gives the game it's salt! Yarrrr!! Plenty more helpful people out there to balance it all out. :)
  13. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, indeed! I hope you and any of your guildmates that choose to follow you are met with a more enjoyable experience than you've been experiencing elsewhere. If it's the staff that make a shard, I can attest that those you'll find here are far and away better, more involved, conscientious and dedicated to a greater experience for the players than anywhere else I've played. The player-base we've got here ain't bad either. ;)
  14. Aris

Aris Active Member

You certainly will enjoy it over here a lot more. You are right about the tailspin, right now they're trying to figure out why their numbers keep going down. No matter how great one point in time may have been, it just eventually gets old. Without fresh content, any game becomes stale, and that strict adherence to "era accuracy" will be its demise. The great thing here is that Telamon is giving us regular updates without going overboard with it. This place is a real treat.

I think in the next year or two as we see their numbers dwindle, the core 30-40 loyal players will become increasingly hostile as they have nowhere else to go (I doubt most of that "core" would be welcome with open arms on any other popular server). It has been interesting to watch their ship sink so quickly and at the same time, see UOR growing like crazy.

So with that said, might as well jump on over and bring the friends while there's room. New players can still find great places to put their houses, and they can get that sense of being one of the "veterans" because in a few years from now this place will be packed.
  15. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

Welcome aboard!

I started on that other shard as well and was lucky enough to meet Blaise ingame, who helped me out since i was (am) a UO Noob. He did the same trick to me that Telamon did to him. He mentioned on a sidenote that he was playing on another shard. That got me interested enough to check it out and then fully settle here.

Thanks Blaise!!!

I ll see that i come to playing again, when i have more time to spend :)
  16. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I was banned from UOSA for some nonsense after putting in 4+ years over there. Sandro pulled me there back when it had 50 people tops and we played off and on watching it grow to what, 700 players at a peak? Unfortunately they made a series of terrible mechanics changes over the years and the staff became ridiculous. The server has been in a nose dive for some time now. This server, however, and I say this in all honesty, is the best I have ever encountered. Telamon does one hell of a job on so many levels that I've never met another admin who can do what he does. Zeke is genius with his knowledge of pvp an mechanics it makes for a very nice, diverse, balanced atmosphere. I went inactive around April this year when the population was about 50 on average. When I came back 6 months later we are now averaging 300. I have full confidence in the admin work here and hopes for the future of uor. I've played a LOT of different servers, and I assure you there isn't another that will be quite like this one. I digress.
  17. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Renaissance thrives off our passion for the game, we only hope that others enjoy it as much as we do providing it for them. ;)
  18. Giant

Giant New Member

Started up with Skynyrd just a few days ago myself.

Any hints on missteps others may have made coming from UOSA? I've made a million characters on a bunch of servers so I'm sure I'll catch on here. Just curious to know what little, out of the ordinary things a new player may have missed out on, or looking back wishes they had done..or really anything that helped you get a leg up.

Looking forward to some UOR PvP soon!
  19. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! I would highly recommend you check out the FREEIST resist training that will be starting up on 11/5 FREEIST RESIST SESSION. This is a fantastic endeavor and there is no comittment other than don't cause problems during your training.

Most of the macro/training tactics for melee/mage skills are standard UO. I did learn that you can GM tactics/Weapons skill on another character so you don't have to go find an NPC. Oh and you can't train magery in town (magic does full damage in town) so you might have to train either outdoors with a healer or use Invis to 80's. I used EQ in a remote area in the forest, but you can also do FS on yourself if you have a support healer

You might need to check with other PvPers regarding mechanic specifics like if the Hally Cycle exists, best templates, and tactics. There are a lot of elements from UOSA that exist here like concussion blows, paralyze blows, etc. that might be a big change from what you're used to.

From what I have gathered on Forums and generally putting my nose in other people's business (because that's what grey wizards do) I'd say you best resources for PVP are below or at the following thread Willing Duelist Trainers

Hatecrime
    Mes
    Battlerattle and HUM (or just Battlerattle)
    Private Parts
    Dank Nuggets

but again if you don't get anything else from this post join the
    FREEIST RESIST SESSION. No better way to get to GM resist than this.
  20. Giant

Giant New Member

Great, thanks. I'll probably try and catch of few of these guys in IRC.

Am I safe to assume a bard is the easiest get gold technique for a new player?