This is not a blessed rune book thread!

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jupiter, Apr 2, 2014.

Copying rune books as indicated below is good

1. Yes, I would support

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No, (please add thoughts for opposition)

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

As the title states, this has nothing to do with blessing a rune book. I just thought it would be a clever ploy to get you all to look at this.

I was thinking about specialty rune books (like ones at rune libraries with all towns, dungeons etc.), and wondered if it would be a meaningful and desired option to allow for copying of non-locked down rune books?

I'm thinking it would require a combination of GM inscription and cartography along with requiring a GM rune book and double the runes to create?
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Not sure how I feel about this one, actually. People put a lot of work into marking a lot of those books. Over time, it'd make marked runebooks worthless, I'd imagine.

For Example: Player X sells runebooks on his vendor and spent a lot of time running around and marking all the T2A Runes. Player Y buys Player X's runebook, copies them, then sells them cheaper than player X. ...Price War Ensues... Marked Runebooks become worthless.

I'm not sure that the obvious outcome of allowing this is a good thing. On the plus side, it'd save a lot of clicking.

Its certainly a change that I could make the best of either way.
    Basoosh and Jupiter like this.
  3. Jupiter

I know right? That's why I'm thinking it definitely can't be done on locked down books. Also the combo skill, and require actual GM carto. My understanding is that 100 carto is actually really difficult? People might make copies, but they'd have to put the work in. Also add a fail rate that consumes resources on failed attempts?
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Being a lazy man I think its a good idea, I would love to easily copy other people's books to expand my library and create new ones. Not sure how many people sell marked runebooks but I would imagine they would suffer if this were to be implemented.
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Inscription / Cartography BoD Reward?

A Runebook Copying Tool...give it a special hue and like 10 Charges or something?

That way, Marked Runebooks Retain their value.
  6. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Hells yeah, great idea
    Lightshade likes this.
  7. Jupiter

It would have to be a special hued ink cup. Ice white maybe? (J/k)

but as a BoD reward this would be great! It would help keep value of books made by sweat, blood and tears
    Lightshade likes this.
  8. Jupiter

I would say you get a special rune copying tool as a reward and then you can recharge it with secondary reward from BoD reward. That way we don't increase item count with hoarded copying tools. Once you get one, you only get recharge jars going forward.
  9. Tabius

Tabius Active Member

How about a risk of destroying the book to be copied on a fail!!
  10. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I wouldn't mind it as a convenience. Get some gold-sink action in on it, 5K+ for a copy seems fair.
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Jupiter likes this.
  12. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Strongly disagree. It should be challenging or at least require effort to put the books together. Also if everyone had their own rune library it would devalue public libraries which carry the possibility of player interaction while visiting. I'm not a fan of blessed runebooks because they, too, reduce the chances of interacting with other players at libraries, banks, etc.
    Wise and Jupiter like this.
  13. Urza

Urza Active Member

I disagree with this. Mainly because some of the social interaction that occurs on this shard happens when someone is recalling around and marking various spots. Also, these rune libraries that everyone has worked so hard to complete would lose their value and appeal.

Not to mention, the amount of regs and gold that goes into recalling marking and buying runes for each book? Would you require that all of those materials be used to continue with the gold and resource sink?
    Wise, Huzke and Jupiter like this.
  14. Jupiter

Excellent feed back. So far I am persuaded that this would have more negative implications.

So far the argument summaries as I have seen them

Pros:
    Convenience
    possible gold sink
    Possible BoD reward

Cons:
    Exploitation and psuedo-blessed rune books
    Imminent devaluation of marked rune books
    Loss of social interaction
    Further enabling of recall mining
    Devalue player made libraries

Based on these honest and thoughtful arguments against my idea, I am persuaded that it probably won't be for the best.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts to this discussion!
    Vlar, Lightshade, Wise and 3 others like this.
  15. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

I am against the idea.
    Runebook creating / marking is a business for mages / scribes that costs time effort.
    Time effort = value x in gold

And marking on more risky places is even more worth (lower dungeon levels are not always marked easy by "recall and mark". There may be npcs to lure away and so on)

No good idea - and not era like by the way.

For whoever want to make a rune library: Copy them by recall and mark or give order to other players.
    If nobody makes it by request... maybe your bidden price is too low? Thats living economy!
  16. Taran Kain

Taran Kain New Member

I'm scratching my head here - isn't it already possible to duplicate a runebook and bypass the hard work, by simply iterating through the book and going to each location and marking a rune?

The "danger" aspect to that method would be extremely low... I can't think of many places in the world where you wouldn't survive long enough to get off a 6th and a 4th circle spell. The "hard work" aspect of that could easily be macro'ed out of it.