This shard in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by bor, May 2, 2017.

1. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

@Hiji Zuru stop using alt accounts! /jk

Templates like Dexers have theyr usage in various situations, but its a lackluster field pvp build, i agree.
    Dexer templates do have theyr place in pvp though, and you would better not underestimate them.
    If playing a dexer interests you, then hit up @Bayara - hes running a dexer guild.

There are tons of viable playstlyes other than playing a bard or tamer.
    Unless youre 100% sure about what ur talking about id suggest to spend more time here, and try out some other gamestyles.

Love, Erz
    Ducky, Jean-Pierre, One and 4 others like this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Whoa there ya'll...

Just because the masses chose what appeared to be as an easy button and rolled tamers for field farming doesn't mean dexxers are "worthless". Just because y'all live in a bubble and can't figure out how to use them doesn't mean they're automatically inferior to what alternatives you chose and works best for you.

A dexxer can and does pull more gph than a tamer in solo open field/dungeon pvm mob hunting.
  3. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

The best part about UO and perhaps the worse part about UO is that you get to set your own goals and what you want to achieve. Perhaps we need a disclaimer on the Renaissance home page that states "YOU IS IN FACT PLAYING ULTIMA ONLINE yo."

*"yo" can be omitted from the disclaimer but it would make it more gangster.
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Vishakt, Basoosh and Jupiter like this.
  4. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

That's all we need a Canadian gangster :p
    Halabinder likes this.
  5. Halabinder

I have a pank bandana eh!
  6. Dr Satan

Dr Satan Well-Known Member

Remember the time I launched a lvl 6 tmap and the rules was our small group could only use magic and melee to win? Oh we were on foot too so the extra deadly added bonus of that rule in place also. Yeah I remember that also, it sucked cause it took us 3x as long to complete it compared to 2 provo tamers wrecking it.
    Lord Krake and Jupiter like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ultima Online is what you make it. Your own decisions generally lead to the experience you have when playing here. If you spend a month playing on a server, and end up feeling that your time was "wasted" then I would suspect that the decision to play Ultima at all is the regrettable decision. This post would be at home on literally every free shard. The only variance would be how quickly someone posts it.

Renaissance has been designed as a shard that has something for everyone. There is no default action you must engage in to get ahead. Players do well as PvM'ers, Pvp'ers, crafters, decay campers, event participants, volunteers, guildmasters and trade mongers. You can pick the playstyle that suits your specific enjoyment of Ultima Online and have a long and happy experience here. Some of our more crazy players see this as a challenge, and attempt them all, sometimes at the same time.

A great example of this is the 100-150 players who are out right now taking part in Zyler's most recent fishing contest. This might not be for everyone, but for players who have never experienced a player run event like this it is a new and fresh experience from the classic 5 dungeon farming hotspots, or the 5 classic pvp hotspots.

In any activity as well the benefit that you can gain from that activity will usually match the amount of risk that you will experience. If you want to farm the Blood Elementals or Arctic Ogre Lords without being bothered by PvP players, even blue Pk's, you need to be prepared for that. UO is a high risk game that rewards caution and preparation.

As for templates, playstyles and their relative effectiveness your experience here will be very specific. Our goal is not to create a whole new game matching our vision of the correct mechanics for ultimate balance. Our goal is re-creating a world as close to UO in 1999/2000 as possible. So that when players start here they are greeted with a feeling of nostalgia. We have worked over the years to balance the effectiveness of various templates, while not fundamentally changing the design or vision of the game that the original developers intended.

In summary if you put the time in, and have a positive outlook you will realize that the world of possibilities here is endless. And you can find a home on a classic server, with minimal verbal harassment, hate speech, racism, homophobia and staff corruption. The world is developed methodically and all changes are considered carefully by the staff and player volunteers. Not to say it will be easy, to master Ultima Online on a felucca shard such as UOR will take preparation, practice and extensive understanding of the world mechanics. Something foreign in most games these days.

It would be hard to consider a free server that is developed and maintained by unpaid volunteers would ever be considered a waste of time to play on. Most people pay $60 for a game they finish in a week these days. Ultima Online is, and will always be, about the journey not the destination. If you focus to much on where you need to be immediately you will miss a great deal of enjoyment. We hope you stick it out and let the server grow on you, but even if you try the experience elsewhere the staff is confident you will eventually return.
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    axejunkie, Althorn, Avery and 7 others like this.
  8. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

This thing is rigged, J/K @Zyler, always puts on a great fishing tourny.
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Staff Note: Upon further investigation into this players complaints it has been determined that the player created his accounts approximately 8 days ago. The accounts have between 22 and 48 hours of total time played. (2-4 hours a day) Rather than a legitimate complaint about experiences on the server, this post does seem to have an ulterior motive/axe to grind. We never mind constructive criticism. However this player has not developed characters to the point that he could have formed an opinion one way or the other about his experience here.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I freakin called it!
  11. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I don't know about the later incarnations of UO after Age of Shadows, but mages have always been overpowered compared to dexxers. It's not impossible to be good at pvp and be a dexxer, it's just very difficult because of the fact that having armor on does squat against magic but mages can wear a full suit of leather with no issue. Not to mention the cost of restocking a dexxer vs mage, dexxers being forced to alter stats to negate mindblast damage, Archery having no special moves, among other things. It is what it is, though.
    One likes this.
  12. Halabinder

is my dexer still a dexer if he has 100 Magery?
  13. TheUORnerd

TheUORnerd Active Member

A dexxer has a low ceiling meaning there's only so much you can do.

Mage has a higher ceiling more combos greater flexibility in my opinion.

But regardless of both of these truths a dexxer can still just double click and win until the mage finally makes the adjustments needed. If you think pvp here is boring fight anyone in the top 3 and try to remember why you died during that fight lol
  14. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

OP only used his Nintendo with a game genie.
    One, wylwrk, Namarra and 4 others like this.
  15. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I need to find the link to post here or look for "gold per hour" in forums Blackeye has made upward 70-100k+ on a peace dexxer lol. I think i capped mine around 77k not including tmaps liquidated down. Plus peace dexxers rock at farming true-hue ore cloth! And those outfits are seksi!
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  16. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

and an amib (purple and green at least) can gross 160k+ in about an hour. and if you get a rare, 560k+!

From @BlackEye
    Elektra (me) is #1 killer of them @@Valrick.

Over the time, I optimized a PvM farm route for small humanoid repond class monsters including this spot that nets 85k - 90k per hour.

Example stats for different weapons:
    #1 59.5k GP, 1 plat, 2 lvl3 maps, 2332 regs, 926 arrows, 56 good scrolls - ~88.5k value
    #2 55.5k GP, 1 platin, 3 lvl3 maps, 2068 regs, 999 arrows, 61 good scrolls - 87.2k value
    #1 56.3k GP, 1 plat, 1x lvl4 map, 1x lvl3 map, 1x lvl1 map, 2153 regs, 1077 arrows, 56 good scrolls - 89.8k value

edit #6: Here's the link. http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-gold-per-hour-crowdsourced-guide-project.7530/

I really wish more newcomers would view this thread. Lots of builds showing their stars :)
    Soma Holiday and Spankrox like this.
  17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

18. compsays

compsays Active Member

I have no desire to be a bard, or a tamer. I've been back in the world of UO thanks to UO:R for a couple of months, and I couldn't be having a better time. There's oodles more things I want to do that I haven't even got round to starting yet, but it doesn't bother me that I can't go out and provoke my wyrms or nightmares onto a Balron before I have my breakfast.

It's what you make it. If it's not for you, then the problem lies with you rather than the shard, I'd say.
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'd like to see somebody corner the arrow and crossbolt market.

* throws down gauntlet *
  20. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

From playing games 20 years+, min maxxing and power gaming never ends up being long term fun.

Remember, games are about having fun, do what you like!

For instance, I like helping new players, running a guild, hanging with old friends
    and helping grow the server. Occasional killing stuff, champs, a little pvp and trading.
    Lord Krake and Kalvasflam like this.