Thoughts on adding Metal Armor Paint Tubs to Renaissance

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, May 31, 2014.

1. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The artwork is out there, but it'd only be viewable if all user clients updated after it was added in on the download package. Adding it in is easy....having everyone update their clients would Prolly have to wait till one big update I would assume.
  2. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

I always commended the original system for providing additional ores to achieve various shades of armor and felt like this was sufficient. I never particularly cared for the Leather Dye tub when it was introduced. I talked a bit about this on IRC, but I would've preferred a more natural look to the leather based on the leather type that was collected so you could get various shades based on the type of monster killed. Nothing insane, but colors that would resemble the skins of the various beasts of our land. I was never really one that liked seeing all of the crazy colors of stuff in game. Of course, the game isn't intended to please just me :)

With that said, what about - instead of building a tool to essentially 'dye' metal - that it was possible to blend ore types together during smelting to get (1) and only (1) shade.
    This would provide a natural balance of hues based on established hues that feel very natural and consistent.

If you took Iron Ore + Shadow Ore, it would be a 50% increase in the Iron hue and 50% decrease in the shadow hue (I have no idea what the hue number would be).
    Dalavar likes this.
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

That's really clever, I like it.

In fact, that could be the way the "dye" system was built. The dyes would be the color of the ores, and you could apply them to existing armors. If the armor was an original0 ore color, adding the dye would make it a blend. If the armor was a blend, adding the dye would revert it to the color of the dye (an original ore color). The gump you got when attempting to apply the ore would tell you what was going to happen and ask you to confirm.
  5. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

I didn't realize that the leather/furniture dye tubs were restricted - cool - they had some crazy hues back on the EA servers.

This might be valuable instead of smelting ores together, you apply this dye or coloring during the smelting process resulting in a specific hue depending on the ore that you are applying it to.

However, how would this potentially impact the economy? I assume the value lies in the dye itself (based on rarity if taken from Blaise's original suggestion of a BOD reward) along with the value of the ore based on which hue could be achieved.

Would this result in a new 'ingot' based on color or should it be simplified and added during smithing?

What about weapons - should a system like this be reduced to armor only? There should be no added bonuses, aesthetic only.
  6. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

I think if there is any system of "painting" it also should be available for magic armor.
    And it should not only be for "i am so a cool bank sitter" people! That means it should not be too expensive. About 1000gp each dye may be ok for risk fight in colored armor.

A mix of different ores is not physical realistic. Ever tryed to mix copper and iron 50:50? Better you dont try ;) its a waste of ressources.
    Here we are again on point of realism.
  7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

All aboard!! Next stop, TRAMMEL!! *toot toot*
  8. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

This is a fantasy game with magic wizards and pet dragons, where the guts of a jet-black horse will have a pile of gold and a couple of weapons in it. Realism is not on our side to begin with.

Next stop: Straw man!

No one's even talking about a risk vs reward situation here, your comparison to Trammel is absurd as Jack thinking that he was white knighting with his actions on the forums the last few days. If you have a *REAL* complaint about this, share it. Othewise, shut up.
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

We do not need to talk about "realistic" if it goes about dragons and magic.
    But we should think about realistic if we speak about physical basics.
    A physical basic is:
    - (dry) wood burns well (camping skill)
    - fire is hot (dragon breath)
    - iron and copper cannot build an alloy on 50:50mix ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alloy - well - and bronze IS an alloy.. but thats another story)

I dont want to absolutly disagree on any coloring of armor. But please not with breaking basic physical laws.
    I dont want a absolut unrealistic world. Its ok to explain the flying of dragons with her magic and explain rising undead lichs with necromantic magic and so on...
    but its not realistic that a 10str character can swing a mega heavy double axe. and so on and so on
  10. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

I think a metal dye tub isn't a bad idea, but I would like it to somehow 'expire.' Mainly after armour takes a certain amount of hits the hue disappears and needs to be redyed, paint chipping or whatnot. This should be a goldsink but a continuous one, otherwise real quick everyone will have dyed armour.

Leather dye tubs are damn near worthless I see 10 charge tubs for sale at 2.5k. Dyed leather armour is valueless and so many people don't even bother dying anymore because it doesn't make em stand out and look rich.
  11. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I disagree, and feel it goes both directions. If you can't suspend disbelief in a fantasy world, I don't know what to say.

Also, as has already been pointed out several times -- Dye is a misnomer. Paint is far more appropriate -- and 100% realistic.
  12. Gideon Jura

13. Elrik

Elrik New Member

I like the idea here, but I like having more reasons for crafters as well, enter Plating Tool, based on Blacksmithing, or Tinkering, or both. (Not a new skill)

For the gold sink desire the tool is very limited on uses and sold for ~500 ea or something.

You take existing armor (even magical) and replace it to looks like one of the existing ore colors, uses some ingots of desired ore color.

Clarify on 'replace':

Make item appear as desired ore item. Properties of original items remain unchanged and Plating has 10-15 durability: wears out fast.

Uses something like 5-10
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  14. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

Are we seeking to make it more a goldsink by making it a vendor item? What about if it was craftable by tailors so that the money dips back into the player economy?
  15. Gideon Jura

[Mobolin] likes this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Thread title edited for accuracy to the topic at hand. I'm tired of wearing blue GM chainmail for the best crafted AR possible while every barbed leather wearing character can dye their suits to an array of colors.

Remove the mage bias and add metal armor paint tubs.

Bump for great justice.
    PaddyOBrien and ReZon like this.
  17. 1-1=0

1-1=0 Active Member

Personally I would rather if the different material types did not provide armor bonuses at all and that way it was a pure aesthetic thing. Also this would increase the value of things like invul armors.
  18. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

How about if the smithy "enhancing" system of OSI was implemented for coloring only, without the armor/resistance value increases? You take a piece of metal magic armor and enhance it with colored ingots. If it fails you lose your item like you did on OSI. If it succeeds you got yourself a new hue on your Invul Plate. Stripes and Sigils and stuff would be super duper awesome cool, but hey lets be realistic now... Not in terms of historical accuracy and whatnot, in terms of whether or not the staff will have resources (time) to allocate to it.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Sounds neato, but not balanced in any way to the plethora of Leather Dye Tubs facilitating an array of colors on barbed armor for mages.

Next.
  20. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

The Worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal - Aristotle.