Tinker Change Request

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Paradigm, Jan 29, 2014.

Change logical crafting tools to 1 iron ingot aka 8 gp of raw materials

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I can see the points being made here but is it really a worthwhile use of the staff's time to monkey with something so trivial? This change would save a dedicated BOD crafter like what, 20-30k in materials in a years time? Pretty sure the tailors on the shard aren't quite that hard up for coin.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

ooh, how unfortunate. Ultima Online was designed to emulate 7001 BC. What a bummer, JUST missed.
  3. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I have never programmed a runUO server, but I can't think it would take more than 30 seconds to change a 2 to 1 in the code.

I appreciate everyone's jokes, but I gotta disagree with Dal. Are we even sure that 15 years ago the sewing kit cost 3gp and tinkers could make it for 2gp? Are we sure that ingots cost 8 gp 15 years ago? There are many changes here that favor a more logical world. The formal request doesn't seem so negative does it?

Could the admins please look in to changing some of the crafting requirements on tools to make them more cost effective?

I wonder how many people would rather craft their own user materials and then use those to make bods. I for one, would prefer this. I don't want to buy these from a NPC. It is part of my role playing enjoyment to create a character that is self sufficient.

Logical? Who cares. I just want to craft more things!

P.S. Dal, are you REALLY saying that someone with a hard on for era accuracy will be more offended by the lowered cost of sewing kits than the instanced amib dungeons or other no-loot holiday events or any other scammy/griefy hot fixes this shard has?
  4. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Sure, I'm on board for this.

I actually really like the small customizations that UOR has made along the way; it was one of the things that originally drew me to the server. UO is/was great, but old school OSI was far from perfect.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

This is generally where the person requesting the change does the research into this.

It costs 2 ingots, or approximately 16gp, to make a sewing kit that creates 135 items. How is this not cost-effective? I'm really shocked that this is the motivation for this suggestion. At the very least, you're using let's say 4 cloth per item, at 1gp each. So to make 135 items, it costs 540 gp in cloth, and 16gp in sewing kits, for a total of 556 gp per 135 items. That's 4.12gp per item. Contrast that with your proposal of one ingot, and you have 540 gp in cloth and 8gp in sewing kits, for a total of 548 gp per 135 items. That's 4.06 gp per item, or approximately 1% cheaper. Is making crafting 1% cheaper *really* changing the dynamics of the profit of it? I mean, that's best case too. I just don't follow the logic here.

No. I'm saying stuff adds up. I'm saying there is a reason people are here, and not a completely custom UO server. We share a common interest in a particular period of UO. The further this shard deviates from that particular period, the less common interest we have, and the quicker this shard dies as it meets less and less people's interests.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Fewer and fewer, but that's besides the point. Its just incorrect to blanket shit on something as simple as this, that is a clean balancing adjustment that literally no one but the most anal retentive of all UO historians would even notice. However, the tailors of the shard who ALREADY got slapped with a longer craft-delay, might enjoy a little kick down in the form of lower ingot consumption on sewing kit crafting.

There is literally nothing about this request that anyone in their right mind would see as making the shard too custom. No, it's not a slippery slope, it is one small tick in the CHOSEN DIRECTION OF THE SHARD.....perfection.

The shard isn't going to die because it adjust things in a sensible fashion and a sewing kit taking the same resources to craft as other tools of the same size (tongs, etc) just makes sense.
  7. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Dalavar, you are trying to understand my logic.. but I am not proposing logic! I am stating my personal opinion. Sure you can muddy the math by adding cloth in there, but guess what? .06x135 = 8! We are back at the start. It is as simple as paying a vendor 6 gp or using 2 iron ingots/16 gp for the same item. I am only stating that I would prefer to craft my own goods, but not at the cost of raising my bottom line.

I would love to fill a chest with gm kits as opposed to buying out every tailor of 20 kits, recalling around on my mage!

Dal, anyone could do that math. I know it isn't a lot of money. I just can't bring myself to craft what can be so cheaply bought.