Tinker Traps

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Downs, Dec 5, 2013.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

they have a box, it's full of candy, it's trapped... anyone goes to open it and they go boom
    One likes this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  3. Cullinarn

Cullinarn Well-Known Member

Bring the Miller back, @chumbucket! You’re our only hope!
  4. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Trapped containers inside backpack kills snooping thieves, you know!
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  6. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

They do, but not enough most of the time.
    One likes this.
  7. Helicobacter

Helicobacter Active Member

Gm tinker trapped explosion boxes had a hard time killing people back in 1998/99. Most people had enough health or armor to survive them.

Dart traps did almost no significant damage as they were mitigated by armor.

Poison traps were the way to go back in the Era. GM thinkers made level 5 poison traps that required almost perfect timing with a mass cure spell to survive.

Traps set on the floor of a house you owned could kill a player without generating a murder count for the tinker. All other traps set by a tinker that killed a player could give a murder count.

Traps were my favorite part of UO and the only reason I ever had a red char. I would love to see them faithfully recreated here. I am working on making my first tinker, so I'll update when I have info.

Thanks for a great server!
  8. DaemonOfSiege

DaemonOfSiege Member

a 4 1/2 year old thread, still alive. I admit I did not read all of the pages to this thread, but I am curious as to how this issue was handled.
    I liked the boxes back in the day, I used to put a box in my pack, open it then lock it. I could place newbie regs and bandages inside of it and casting spells would not use them if my backpack had regs in the top level. I did this so after I died I could simple just loot that box 1st, and would be able to cast an invis spell. I also remember being able to drop items into the box, just not able to pull them out. This was especially useful after pub 16 w/ champion spawns, as thats where I would put my scrolls I was able to get, along with a pile of ore to make the box to heavy to steal, and being locked it was snoop proof.
    The trap strength issue, I would be glad to see GM tinker traps be strong enough to cause serious dmg and poison hitting lvl 5, almost impossible to cure.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

No change
  10. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber