Tinker Traps

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Downs, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob Member

Like it or not Bob will keep bumping this thread until tinker traps rise again.
  2. a bad name

a bad name Member

Im with ya Bob!
  3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

The post is in my alerts!

Please tinker the tinker traps o_O
    Xegugg likes this.
  4. Ren

Ren Member
    UO:R Donor

Bring the lethality back to tinker traps.
    Xegugg, Blaise and Descartes like this.
  5. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Can't wait for that to be fixed. Also, I wish it wasn't possible for mages to open GM locked boxes with unlock. That's what lockpicking is for!
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yeah, but Mages/Tamers > everyone/thing. Sheesh.
  7. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

We need tinker traps!
    Lightshade and PaddyOBrien like this.
  8. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I swear, if simple to buy, several hundred gp worth, crates/pouches counter my 7xGM thief, which is my main toon, I will instantly stop playing a thief, delete all toons and PK all of you back to the Stone Age with 15 blue PK toons.

Honestly, if you die from simply snooping people, it's game over for my classical thief. It's stupid enough to fight the RNG, I won't face exploding all over this shard for the fun of people that don't know how to handle thieves except from buying trapped crates.
    Kiryana likes this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Why would you die from "simply snooping". I'm sure your thief is professional enough to detect a trap and remove it, because they are so masterful in their craft.

I know how to handle thieves and trapped boxes just make it more fun, in and out of my pack. The only time I've managed to get some kills with traps here is having a locked trapped container on the steps of my house and I wasn't even around to see it happen.

FYI: Classically, this WAS a major hurdle for thieves which we don't have here. I hope you enjoy thieving Trammel. :p
  10. BlackEye

I dont quite understand: As far as I understood, one of the ideas is to implement trapped chests that are lethal upon snooping and that can be carried with you. This is what I wrote about: Simple gadgets that can be bought quite cheap would negate all my skills and leave me dead without any chance for me. And even if it is possible to detect traps and remove traps in another ones bag (never tried it), that means extra 20 seconds and 250 skill points to invest for 50 DH, GM Remove Trap and GM Lockpicking (no, lockpicking of stuff in another ones bag is actually not possible, which means that right now locked chests and crates provide 100% safety from thieving as long as they are heavier than 10 stones). Ergo, no thieving possible except for AFKs perhaps (lame).

I have no problem with locked down ones in houses. Or to have noisy people explode on the streets.
  11. BlackEye

Oh yeah, allow me to do everything that was possible on OSI and change all the mechanics to that era, than I might accept that reasoning. (But actually I like the customizations of UOR, except for the bad RNG problem. And some other stuff that just now came to my mind...).
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If they restored proper tinker traps, I would hope the locks/container use would be altered to make sense as well. ie: cannot fucking USE anything in a locked container. Being able to use anything that is in a locked container, is quite possibly one of the stupidest fucking mechanics on this whole shard.

Not everyone has a tinker and not every tinker is available to make traps. They may come cheap but what's your big risk in dying? Oh shit, you might lose some recall reagents? lololol, whatever.
    BlackEye likes this.
  13. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

I just want them to blow people up.
    PaddyOBrien and English John like this.
  14. BlackEye

That thought is very limited. In comparison with a locked up chest (me not dieing, but not being able to steal), I become revealed, lose any surprise moment (no future steals), and die a very lame death (frustration + several minutes off from the field).

PS: Can't agree more. Being able to use locked up chests is plain stupid.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

very lame death for a very lame profession, lol

I don't want locked containers to be useful in the field without the keys, which you could then steal and use. I feel that if trapped boxes are put in place, that your ability to detect and potentially remove the trap should function, even with the container in someone's pack.

How about this, which makes 1000x more sense to me. If you spring a trapped container in someone's pack, everyone in a 3x3 range of the target, dies/gets hit by it.

As for very lame deaths, imagine stocking up with 150k+ worth of gear, dying at a champ spawn (lame) and watching some two bit chump who trained hiding at the bank, go running off with your high end weaponry/platinum.

Talk about lame.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  16. BlackEye

Oh, c'mon. I bet you enjoy the stories in the thieving thread too.

How would that work? I steal keys, the mark doesn't recognize anything and additionally stands still for me to open his chest and steal stuff? No, that doesn't work that way.
    Same with DH and Remove Traps (150 skill points so far). You would effectively need Lockpicking (in total 250 points) too due to what I wrote above. AND you would need 20 seconds for all the involved skill timers without the mark recognizing anything, and being near to the thief.

Makes sense, but would only cause major chaos. All die and nobody directly involved gains from it. Xegugg, all the Bobs and probably Red (is he still playing here?) would be happy.
  17. BlackEye

But it would definitely be cool to be able to lockpick chests in somebodys bag. Right now, that is not possible at all.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Holy shit, you mean train a full template to be effective in your goals....like every other fucking template in the game. lol

I definitely want to see improvements to tinker boxes AND the thief class in general but nothing at all that is easy. I want you to be able to steal a pile of 5 plat, but I want it to be hard. Not something that can be done with a death robe and a hotkey.
  19. BlackEye

Just for fucks sake try it ONCE. And post your outcome in the thieves thread. You have no clue what you are talking about. It's like me talking about taming, which I don't do for some good reason.

And I will add lockpicking if I can pick the front door of your keep, cause that would make SO much sense logicwise. And for your information, my template is fully developed (like hopefully every other thiefs too) and I dont need some treasure hunters skills. A thief already has to choose between several template options. Dont be so focussed on some nooby death robe thieves in Ocllo. It's just the natural starting point (for alot the end too) for many that are new to the profession.
  20. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

i made this for you