Tips for new players on this shard. Some things I wish I knew

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Hiji Zuru, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Hiji Zuru

Hiji Zuru Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This shard is the best. I am addicted and hooked!
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Xegugg likes this.
  2. Hoominaga

Hoominaga Well-Known Member

Why are you still here if you hate everything about this place?
  3. Hiji Zuru

Didn't read the post bro! This is the best shard.

Having my guild copied was not really cool and it only happened because I was ignorant of the guild mechanics here. This is super super important information that I haven't seen posted anywhere else.
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Man, I think you're funny and witty, and I generally like you. I'm sorry your experience has been mostly negative, but that does not represent the typical player here.

However, I think it is poor form to go into the main subforum to trashtalk the server. I would suggest starting these types of threads in trashtalk.
  5. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

6. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Do you really, truly believe this is the reason? :rolleyes:
    Pirul likes this.
  7. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Valrick, Hoominaga and Pirul like this.
  8. Hiji Zuru

I respect you alot Pirul so I toned it down. Trash talk is rarely seen by new players and this is mainly so they don't experience what I have with my guild.

9. Hiji Zuru

If I knew the rules why would I not buy a bunch of guildstones and lock it down. I have a keep and tons of shit. A guildstone is very cheap. I would have patched those holes long ago.

10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I understand the value of what you are trying to inform, and I commend you for it, as it is something I didn't know either as a 4 year vet. However, I also think the form used to do it could have been more appropriate for this subforum.
    Halabinder likes this.
  11. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I've played here for 3 years and have encountered zero of those problems.

My tip for new players:
    You will get PK'd. You will get stolen from. When you play in Felucca, there will be setbacks. If you are able to accept these things when they happen and keep a cool head, you will have a great time here. If you lash out and rage, your problems will only compound.
    Canis, Valrick, Althorn and 8 others like this.
  12. Orange

Orange Well-Known Member

Then you are not playing UO right @Basoosh
    Bayara and Pirul like this.
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

No Roberto in ages!

I miss that cow!
    Basoosh likes this.
  14. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I don't understand, nobody can copy another guild name, they have to change it. Why not sure explain to people the differences in the guild tag? If someone makes a guild called o^s, I don't think we would lose much sleep over it. We would just say, ya that's not us, we are O^S, not o^s.
    Destruction likes this.
  15. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

There is the option of turning off the guild tag. Unless you HAVE to have a lameass tag telling people who you are with.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

You're going about this all wrong. If someone is trying to copy your guild name in an imposter fashion, you've reached the upper echelons of UO society. Only the most awesome of players and guilds get their characters and guilds copied by nefarious ne'r-do-wells.

PS: stfu already
    binlagin, Random, Orange and 3 others like this.
  17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

This ain't some damn flash kawaii dress up game. Everyone gets hurt, everyone dies... but new heroes and villains are right around the corner.

Don't get too cocky, my boy. No matter how good you are, don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe, my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous... be the little guy. You know, the nerd, the leper, shit kicking serf.

Look at me. Underestimated from day one.

You'd never think I was a master of the universe, now would you?

- S
    Erza Scarlet likes this.
  18. Fullmetal

Fullmetal Well-Known Member

Normally I would just skim through a post like this and not comment but as Pirul and a few others have said, I have to agree that this may not be the best place for this...

I would also like to add that although there are some "oddities" here on the shard I have personally never experienced any of your points made here. The only spying I have ever experienced is when someone says they either died or were/are farming a location in a public or popular irc channel.

And a final note... the negative context of this post feels more likely to drive folks away then renew their spirits to persevere.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    wylwrk likes this.
  19. MrCandyMan

MrCandyMan Active Member

My brothers and I completely understand each of these points.

For years, on multiple servers, we tried to create friendly, active guilds that would promote and defend whatever shard we were a part of. Most of the time, we would just open up Skunkworks (*Sk) to anyone who wanted to join. We would help "new" (mainly fake) players, fight pk's, and try to create activity for the shard we were on.

But every time we tried to do so, you could bet any amount of gold you wanted that we would be harassed, cheated, and targeted by complete weirdos... For some reason, the average UO player has the moral fortitude of a piece of garbage. I could go on for days with stories of people trying to hurt us in game, and out, but honestly I don't have the time.

It got to the point where we decided that we were going to have as little interaction as possible with other players outside of necessary trading. And to be honest, that would be my advise to anyone playing on any server. I would say, "Play UO how you want to play. Don't try to make friends, and don't stick out. If you make yourself noticeable, you become a target,"

It's really sad, but that is my reasoning for why the population of UO in general is declining. People are just jerks. And I'm not talking about Pk's and thieves. Player killing and theft are two EXTREMELY important parts of the game. It's the extra stuff afterwards that is not part of the game. That extra stuff is instead part of an individuals nature.

Anyway, lets end with a summation of my thoughts (for those that care):

1.) I agree with some of Hiji Zuru's points.
    2.) I disagree with some of Hiji Zuru's points.
    3.) I don't completely understand Hiji Zuru's conclusion and solution.

My solution can not be done in game, but it's quite simple. Do what you want, but be willing to accept consequences. If you are the sort of person that harasses people and stalks them on facebook because they are your enemy in a video game, don't get upset when you don't have anyone to play with...

/endrant
  20. MrCandyMan

MrCandyMan Active Member

Something I forgot to say...

My brothers and I LOVE UO:Renaissance staff and the server in general.