Title Removed

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by WhyULie, Jun 25, 2015.

1. WhyULie

WhyULie New Member

Edit by Chris

On most servers they would simply remove an offensive post like this, but I think it is important for players to see the depths that administrators/staff/players from other servers will go to attack our server. From DDOS attacks, to false reports to making posts like this.

This forum account was made using an IP Address currently in use by a major hosting company.
    The associated IP address has never had an account on UO Renaissance.
    The associated IP address has zero commonality with any other player that has used a Renaissance resource (IRC, Forums, Gameserver, Mumble, etc)
    Note: Other than logging in yesterday to spam that imgur link.

If this supposed player was concerned about the environment here they would have used their actual forum account or minimally an IP related to a gameplay account.

The situation this player is referring to was when Renaissance was attacked by our 112th DDOS attack on Monday night at 10pm server time. During this attack our host placed our account into the advanced mitigation system. A small amount of traffic from the attack made it through to the game server resulting in a few minutes of unstable connectivity. During this time a few players lost connection but most of our players were able to stay online. To keep the server stable during the attack all new inbound traffic was halted.

This affected a small section of the playerbase along with services such as JoinUO.net and UOGateway.com which poll the server. However unlike most hosts who simply null route ALL traffic the bulk of the Renaissance players were unaffected.

So when the attack ceased and the server was removed from mitigation our disconnected players and the polling services were once again able to communicate with the server. This poster assumed that Renaissance could not handle these types of attacks and assumed that we are somehow faking the online count. All that the graph on UO Gateway shows is that when UOGateway lost the ability to poll the server 500 players were online. When it regained the ability to poll the server 300 players were online. We have 4 months of experience dealing with these attacks and I personally work with our host every day to improve the protections afforded to our players and report these attacks to the authorities.

So moral of the story. If you choose a server that invests their donations in sports cars, drugs and supporting their lifestyle rather than investing in proper hosting then you will continue to be surprised at the efforts the Renaissance staff takes to ensure our players an enjoyable experience.

If this player would have been playing on Renaissance monday night, had been in IRC they would have realized that the server was still up and 300 of our players were still playing without interruption during a massive attack against the server.

Renaissance is still one of the only servers that proudly displays our online players and updates that list every 5 minutes. http://www.uorenaissance.com/players/online

What follows is the original post

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Perhaps I'm not reading that graph correctly. From what I see it shows a drop in users over a 24 hour period. Considering the server has fallen victim to a wave of constant DDOS attacks I can understand the dip in numbers.

I'm one of those people that leave my accounts online 24/7. Time and time again I come back from work or wake up in the morning to see that my accounts were either all disconnected or 1-2 of them disconnected. I've been here for a while so I understand that's more than likely DDOS. In the past week I believe the server reset twice for a patch or a hot fix or two.

I think, considering the circumstances, that the numbers on UOG are not representative of the servers health or user base.

I will say that I can relate to PKing for hours to only find a couple people farming. What you are failing to consider is that UOR has an insane amount of things to do and a lot of people don't farm in the open world too much after a certain length of time here. I haven't farmed in a traditional manner for probably over a year now and most of the people I associate with are in the same boat as I (no pun intended - considering "Cynic hasn't left his boat in God knows how long").

With the latest patch there are people out there doing TMaps more than they are in dungeons farming.
    newme and Mes like this.
  3. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

This was my favorite part:

What a tool.
    newme likes this.
  4. Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice Active Member

wow... first of all, the graph he referenced is just stupid.

It doesn't make any sense at all?

How is chris spoofing anything at all? It is common knowledge we all get 3 accounts.. spoofing a number would mean he literally just put a random number higher than what was logged in as the number online and he simply doesnt do that.

You are a moron, and normally I hate to see people leave.. but good riddance, idiot
    newme likes this.
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I don't think the numbers are spoofed. I think that graph is likely a result of the ddos attacks lately - a lot of afk players are knocked offline and do not log back on every time it happens.
    I do see a lot of merit in your complaints about overworld activity, though. It seems like a lot of players seemingly never leave occlo or the young program. Activity in dungeons is also extremely low, and I think that this is in part due to server culture and in part that there is so much to do in protected instances.

I think in a large part that the server is still active enough, it's just a matter of getting people to come into the places where interesting things happen.
    newme and Bixby Legbone like this.
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme and Fin like this.
  7. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

False. The DDOS attacks are something Telamon invented to justify his buggy player inflation code. You're just a sucker, like the rest of them.

This person was deceived. He's entitled to play UO for free, with an active community, plenty of PK targets, and tons of custom content. What gives you the right to question that?

Did you know that Blaise isn't even a real person? He's just an incredibly obnoxious robot that Telamon created to play the "villain" character.
  8. MrCandyMan

MrCandyMan Active Member

This thread is so funny.

(sarcasm) Darn you Chris!?!? *Shakes fist* :p

WhyULie, I understand that when one sees signs of a conspiracy, it is hard to see the evidence disproving said conspiracy. Please give the shard another month and I guarantee you will see more activity.

Question: Where are you looking for people to Pk?
    newme likes this.
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme likes this.
  10. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

I don't like discouraging people when they are thinking of quitting or quitting.

But....

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thanks
    newme and Markos like this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You mean we don't have to suffer your tardaloonish dribble anymore?

YAY!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Musician and MrCandyMan like this.
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

You know, there are some elements of the server that do try to make it look more active than it is. The plat reward system pays you to keep characters logged in for no reason other than to make the server look more active. But this is no different than other servers I've experienced. Some servers have like +300% skill gains at WBB and extra gains in dungeons and reduced gains in houses all trying to achieve the same purpose. I also think it's a lot of the reason that the standard for servers is three accounts and servers seem lax on enforcing a three account limit.

But in the case of this graph...you're just looking at people getting dropped during a DDOS. Lately the DDOS's dont typically drop everyone. When the server comes down it comes back up with no players and people slowly log back in. if it stays up all day it reaches 450-550. If DDOS's are frequent it stays around ~350 lately. But it's pretty apparent that telamon is not spoofing the numbers directly.

You may view the players online and count them yourself and view their profiles

http://www.uorenaissance.com/players/online

I haven't seen another server that allows this personally.
    newme likes this.
  13. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I always knew you guys were NPCs coded by Telamon. I KNEW IT ALL ALONG.
  14. Unknown_Hero

Unknown_Hero Active Member

First of all the only shard that fakes their player count is UOF. Second of all, people afk macro on 2-3 characters.
    newme likes this.
  15. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Would stand to make sense seeing as the tool took the time to make a forum account for this one single post of nonsense.
    newme likes this.
  16. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

@WhyULie,
    I'm assuming you're just a chump from some competing server, but if not... I find it quite pathetic you let the lack of PK targets ruin your so-called "last hurrah." If you truly loved this game, as many of us do, PKing would not be the only thing you do and it definitely wouldn't stop you from playing UO altogether.

Furthermore, the fact that you don't respond to any of the valid points mentioned above, tells me you're full of shit. Name 5 people you've interacted with in-game that can confirm this (not IRC) and maybe I'll believe you actually played here.
    newme likes this.
  17. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Big load of bullshit.
    newme, Basoosh and Andersonius like this.
  18. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Wow telamon has been busy all day typing out these replies to this post

wow im telamon
    newme and Rayth like this.
  19. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Fact: PKs with GM tracking find more players than PKs without GM tracking. And yes, even the fishermen.

I find people in the forest doing t-maps.
    I find people in the mountains doing UOR sick take on mining ("mining" with dragons.)
    I find people throughout most dungeons, anywhere a boss monster can spawn, you'll find victims.
    I find people AFK hidden in the woods.
    I find people in unlocked houses.
    I find people training taming on boats, in dungeons, and jungles.

My main play window, is wait for it, 6AM to 11AM EST and somehow I am coming across people regularly. I wouldn't be PKing here if there was no one to PK.

Do I feel like the population claims you see on third party websites (that's how I got here) and the 450 some-odd online count meet the powergamer's expectations in regards to in-game activity? Not at all, but it's not as bad as you make it sound and if you want a post T2A experience without a cash shop, this is pretty much your only option.
    newme likes this.
  20. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

No, I'm Telamon!

(Here goes the sparticus thing)

I think everyone has beaten the horse to death already, but just to make sure its REALLY dead...

As has been mentioned, DDOS attacks sometimes only knock portions of the playerbase off now, thanks to the new server.

You're quite correct that the dungeons aren't packed. That's because there is so much content elsewhere. I know I havent dungeon farmed in over 2 years. Like all things, this has pros and cons. It takes people away from the hot spots, but it also increases the longevity of the server. Without the add-on content, I would have jumped ship years ago.
    newme likes this.