Treacherous equipment...

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Johyn, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Johyn

Johyn New Member

Greetings all!

A lil word about somethin that I find annoyin, that is, the damages on my equipment, never to know wich part of it is damaged...

Wouldn' it be possible to know it?
  2. Plankton

Plankton Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Arms Lore?
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Yen-lo-Wang likes this.
  4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Mind the delay between updates.
    Yen-lo-Wang likes this.
  5. Johyn

Johyn New Member

Ok, but all that is rather tedious, and takin time, while it seems logical that an equipment warnin should warn about the particular piece of equipment involved, no?

Would that be only for gameplay's sake, in'it?
  6. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I agree, but the character should have to have Arms Lore as a skill. Passively gaining the knowledge of "what's breaking" would require knowledge of arms and weaponry.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

To Johyn's point, I think it is for gameplay sake. Common sense should tell you *what* is breaking, and if we could snap our fingers and have that notification in the game I think we would. (I mean, if my helmet is shiny and new and my chestpiece has a hole in it, one would think I can figure out why I have the nagging feeling that my equipment is damaged).

Arms Lore IMO should be to tell you how urgent it is that you fix the item, and/or precisely how effective or ineffective it is in its current state.
    MikeK likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I agree with Dalavar. "Your equipment" is far too vague when it can reference literally anything exposed on your person, including your shirt. Arms Lore as a skill should be really just for seeing all of the full details of an item (Damage values, AR values, HP/Durability ratings, Poison/level) but any newb should be able to see their sword is dull and in need of repair or their leather armor is shredded.
    MikeK likes this.
  9. Johyn

Johyn New Member

Yes, you got clearly my point. :)
  10. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

That logic is dangerous. You can extend it to make some very bold claims on how skills should operate.

UO is not suppose to follow real World logic.
    Yen-lo-Wang likes this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yes, actually it should and does already. Short of magic and monsters, the fact that we play humans and need ingredients to build things/make things, is just one small segment of the mimicry of reality.

You can play the "but we cast spells" argument until you're blue in the face too. Garriott specifically built Ultimas around actual worldly concepts and facts. This can even be seen in the spell reagents. Even though magic isn't real, the components have real world ties to their end result. Ginseng and garlic have healthy properties and sulfur is used in fireworks (flame spells).

The logic that I can see which piece of gear that I use regularly has damage (although not having any clue how much repair is needed or how close to failure it may be) is common sense. This is not some stretch of the imagination to consider.

Also, the word is "supposed".
    Yen-lo-Wang likes this.
  12. Horatio

Horatio Active Member

It is also why we have the Virtues.