Treasure Hunter BODs

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Anarchy, May 7, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Now this is something cool I could get behind. If you could somehow just turn completed maps into a system with your name on it and get a gump reporting which have been filled. Or a message saying 'You've already turned in this location' or something. Just a simple named trophy of a few plat in value, tops.
  2. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Vlar likes this.
  3. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

A THOUSAND TIMES LIKE
  4. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Well i think i must open a new topic and retry to make a suggestion ;)
    I fear this topic here got some missunderstanding - specially because of the topic name.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No, please don't. This topic converted into what is a really good idea, in lieu of the original topic which was redundant at best.
    Vlar likes this.
  6. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

i just hope everybody understands it doesnt need a direct connection with the profession of "treasure hunter" :D
  7. corruption

I think everyone does understand that; but what was described would essentially be a repeat of what will be achieved via Clean Up Brit, with a bunch of unnecessary complexity added to the top of it. Obviously the reward tiers you laid out are not included in Clean Up Brit -- however, I see limited economic or player benefit from the ability to 'upgrade' weapons vs putting in the effort for collecting the perfect item for your desires.

My biggest concern about your idea is potential for devaluing what weapons market DOES exist. If you can collect enough crap weapons to get a weapon bless deed, and a couple weapon upgrade deeds -- all the sudden that +10 power that looked OK at best is starting to look like that rare near-perfect part you can collect in the field. At that point, why would anyone care at all about a player market for these items?

For the record, yes, I recognize that it is already possible with runic hammers to surpass an indestructable/+25/Vanq -- but the high end rewards for these hammers are not easy to come by, nor do they appear frequently. With the volume of lower-end weapons on the shard, a *TON* of these rewards would quickly flood the market -- and given typical droprates, would continue to flood the market -- thereby completely destroying the middle ground of magics that is currently a somewhat weak, but existing, market.
  8. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

I am more thinking the opposite could happen. A power Weapon +20 has the potential to get a vanq+25 weap.
    And the power +0 weapon can be used to get the nice reward -> player would buy

Is the middle range market really existing? What is middle range? power+10?
    What is currently the really highest price you get for a vanq+20/25? Look at the forum auctions! Its 15-25k gold. This - Is - Nothing.... :-/ 20k gold is collected in 20minutes by a pve-char.
    Power weapons sell for 2-4k or does not even sell at all if its a sword (non axe) or mace weapon.

What i meant is: Give all this weapons a value.

What would you pay to bless a weapon for the limited time of 2 weeks? 250-300k?! More? This is not a common item.
    What was the typical item insurance on osi.. 750gp! We are talkling about a very hard to get item.

Also the "weapon enhancement" will not be the cheapest. It may cost all together at least 20k-25k for each enchant. But this may be it worth if you looked for month for this damn vanq war hammer +25 and did not find it anywhere in the market... but looted 2 clubs, 3 cleavers and 4 hammer picks and 1 pitchfork of vanq 25 while farming ;)

The Slayer enchant will also cost its gold and effort.

I think Chris said anytime - not literal but in content: Its not about the anyhow "trammyitems" that are in this world but its about the affort/costs somebody must take.
  9. corruption

The middle ground market for magics IS powers and vanq's -- this is where the market currently sits. This is partially due to the existence of runic hammers, partially due to the drop rates from early in the shards history (vanqs and powers were far too common at one point early on), and partially due to the largely uncontested farming that occurs on the shard daily. The higher range weapon sales come from the runics.

I understand conceptually what you're leaning at; but the ramifications of such a change long term I don't think would be healthy for the shard because it becomes a more accessible (and possibly more desireable with things like weapon blesses) alternative for all the effort that goes into the runic system as it is. I just don't see this working in any way that would be sustainable long term, without creating vastly more problems than it solves.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Also we have to consider that weapons just plain DO NOT have a finite lifespan here. With the inclusion of powder of fortification and the ability to apply it to weapons, you could potentially use the same +25 vanq until it decays on your corpse, literally.

That breaks the weapons market more than anything in this game, as far as I'm concerned.
  11. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Thats true Blaise.
    Why do i use powder of fortification?
    Mainly not because of hold it alive but because hold it alive longer while one farm run to dont need to repair it so often.
    The "health"-property of high end weapons isnt worth a lot because powder is not too expensive.
    Maybe also any system of long term decay may also help.
    Using powder could rise actual max health by 10 but also could sink the absolute maximal health by 5.
    This would give weapons a decay over time.
    However if so there also must be a system to know the health-status of a weapon by arms lore.

I think any kind of magic weapon market regulation should be introduced. This topic is just one idea.
  12. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Not a bad idea.

Since there are 200 spots, you could break them into 20 subgroups of 10.

We have endgame content planned for treasure hunters just like we have for the other major playstyles.
    Jack of Shadows, Faber and Wodan like this.
  13. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I've been marking a runebook set for myself and it's so many runes, I think that'd be a great quest. (people like to release drags or wyrms on the little island, it's funny)
  14. Gozinya

Gozinya Active Member

THAT looks like it was an awesome time and would've loved to be there and help.
  15. Gozinya

Gozinya Active Member

Double post. Please delete this reply.
  16. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

There's a new achievement system planned that will feature lots of trophies for treasure hunters - will probably have a BOD-like effect on tmaps !
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Like after you have achieved all 200 sites you get a message that says "you've discovered the final resting place of Telamon's trammel collection" and the very next tmap you dig up will be guarded by all of the monsters of the previous 200 chests! (The chest loot and monsters would be tied to the level of chests dug up, so you can't just do all level one maps and then get a massive spawn.)
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Our next planned step for Treasure Hunters is a system similar to the ancient MIB's. Where certain treasure maps (level 6 or new ones) will take you to one of several instanced areas (aka mini hard mode dungeons) where you fight your way to the treasure or attempt to complete the dungeon solo.

These might function differently from the AMIB instances as the gate to the dungeon would remain open for the duration. So instanced, but accessible, and dangerous.

This is no ETA on this currently but it is on the development roadmap.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Vlar likes this.
  19. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member

There was a post on old old old stratics about changes to cartography that would be of benefit. One item in particular was a BOD type book for tmaps. Would make keeping collections sorted a lot easier and selling them would be a lot simpler as well.