Trials and Politics ~ Sapphire Saga~

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Jupiter, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

The pain sunk deeply into Catalin's jaw and face. Yet it was not the force of the blows that allowed the pain to enter his heart. It was the knowledge that each blow came from a Paladin - one who was sworn to defend all that is good regardless of crown or country.

"Where are your forces hiding!," with each inquisition he landed another blow.

"What forces?," Catalin could not with hold the precious blood that spittled from the red cracks between his teeth, "I've been nothing but honest with you Master Paladin. I'm beginning to wonder if you can even see truth any more."

"You dare call my judgment into question?!" a blade was against Catalin's throat in a flash, "I am Deramond LaFayne, High Captain of the Golden Guard!"

"Nay sire, you are not so just yet," the shock on Deramond's face was something Catalin wished he could relish for just a moment longer, but the paladin turned to see who dared interrupt.

Weary from Deramond's questioning tactics, Catalin let his head slump. He glanced up to see a familiar crest on the man who had perhaps just spared his throat. C^V - the Vigilant Company.

"Sior Elis, what do you mean by this intrusion!?"

"I came to report sir that there has been another attack," the way Sior Elis shortened the vowels as he spoke suggested he had Spanish origins. Catalin allowed his heart to foster a glimmer of hope; the Spanish were known as master tacticians, and something told him Sior Elis had come to deliver more than just the report.

"And also, The Lady LaFayne is yet again missing. Despite our best efforts, we have been unable to find her." Sior Elis concluded his report and allowed LaFayne to reach his own conclusions regarding the attack and his missing daughter.

"Why you!" LaFayne turned to Catalin and raised a closed fist in preparation for a blow he wasn't sure he could survive, "what have your men done with my daughter!" But as his arm began to fall it suddenly stopped sending LaFayne's head lunging forward. With a powerful and swift motion Sior Elis held LaFayne's arm and placed himself between the captive and the captain.

"I do not believe that will be necessary Captain. The attack was not carried out by men. It appears a very large creature, perhaps a bear, is the source of this attack."

Deramond made no attempt to mask the rage he now worn on his face, "and how do you know this isn't some devil's trickery High. Lord. Elis?" The spite hung thick as he finished his rant.

"What I know Captain, is that this man has completed training at the hand of Mars, whom you know is The Company's greatest warrior. This is a distinguish that I do not extend nor hold lightly. And what you should know is that, while I do not currently possess all the information behind these attacks, I most certainly would not hang them all upon this man without due trial. If a man were to do such a thing, I believe more than just his honor would be called into question. Do you not agree?" Catalin was amazed, it was as if Sior Elis had purposefully chosen every word he had spoken. Not one word had been wasted and it was clear in Deramond's eyes that he understood there would be no more unsupervised inquisitions.

"Very well Master Elis, I shall see to it personally to find the bandits of this Catalin. And when I do, we shall see whose judgment is called into question." Deramond pulled his cloak over his shoulder as he spun and stormed out of the prison.

Sior Elis turned his attention to Catalin. He squeezed a bit of juice from some ginseng in his had and whispered "In Mani"

He stood and made eye contact "Please accept my personal apologies for your treatment thus far. There are politics at play in the Golden City which I cannot outright defy, but I assure you I mean to end those who are behind these attacks on my city. This is all I can provide for you at this time," he stood in silence while he allowed the soothing effects of the spell, "I have your word that you have no hand in these attacks?"

Still aching slightly, Catalin managed a nod. Sior Elis smiled graciously, then turned and departed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping outside, Sior Elis blinked into the sunlight and made his was across the street. He approached a beggar holding out a cup and dropped a few coins. He glanced up and down the golden paved road nonchalantly as if trying to decide which direction to travel.

"The lad is of hearty stock," Sior Elis spoke as if he was talking to the wind; not directly at the beggar and yet there was nobody else in sight. "I only wish I could have arrived sooner. I fear Deramond no longer adheres to his oaths; he has the heart of an executioner. It will not be long before he finds some bandits to help him perpetuate his lie."

The beggar shook his cup so the coins should have clanked, but instead they silently thumped against two small stalks of ginseng. With a cryptic reply he thanked Sior Elis, "Thou art giving me gold? Thank thee; money is always welcome."

The beggar raised his cup then turned it over, allowing the coins and ginseng to fall into his open hand along with a scrap of paper. A gust of wind caught the paper and plastered it against Sior Elis' boot. The old beggar hoisted himself from the ground, cackling and conversing with himself as he meandered to the city gates.

Sior unfolded the paper and read, "Stay vigilant, and keep him safe. The Ursa is about. - J. Greystone"