Triple Boxing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dalavar, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

What I mean to say is that this game has become so fundamentally different from its beginnings that it's almost pointless to argue how things are supposed to be. Triple boxing has changed the landscape severely. UO can now be played single player. You could always play solo but a large part of the game would be closed to you. Not so much, now.

I think it's the wrong direction and I do sometimes wonder what it would be like if people could only have one account here. I think with the community that we have, it'd be really cool. It won't ever happen so I don't let it bother me too much. I've found people to play with in-game who are more on my wavelength and that's good enough for me.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    Maltman, Kane and Blaise like this.
  2. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

And here goes blaise, losing his argument he resorts again to personal attacks. Classy as always, no wonder no one takes you seriously.
    Player X likes this.
  3. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

I guess the real problem here is that 3-box tamers essentially negates any need to interact with others. Content that was put into the game with the specific intent of being a group activity can now be soloed. The whole reason we play an MMO is to be with other people. Sure, you can hang out with folks, you can sell and buy loot, you can show off your boss trophy collection, and that's all great. But, when the stuff that was actually designed to bring people together for a common goal becomes a one-man gravy train, then we really ought to take a step back and see if it's right.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  4. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I'm simply saying, if you're gonna scream "tamers play I'm trammel" you'd better be prepared to take a good look at where else Trammel is apparent
  5. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I'll point you back to elhorno's post about the difficulty of soloing champs if you're going to go calling it a gravy train. These are the words of someone who has never tried what he's talking about.
  6. Melochabre

Well, thank you for reading my post and taking only those two words from one sentence from it.

Here is the edit so we can just discuss the triple-boxing, "But, when the stuff that was actually designed to bring people together for a common goal becomes a one-man uber-hard, best-of-the-best, no-bathroom-break-for-5-hours-straight farming session then we really ought to take a step back and see if it's right."
    Maltman, Eladrin and Alice Asteroid like this.
  7. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

While I do see your point, and I respect you for being what I imagine to be the most active dexxer pvmer, I don't see a problem with being able to solo champ spawns. When I first started here I trying to get people together for champ spawns every day when I logged on, which happened to be around 7am MST. As you can imagine not often was it that people attended, and it's the same way today. While I enjoy playing with other people it isn't always an option and I'd rather not be barred from enjoying champs simply because I can't organize a group of pepole during my limited play time.
    Andersonius likes this.
  8. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

I just solo'd baracoon (except for killing the champ; would have been too much trouble in my opinion solo) on my triple tamers ... I wiped once on the last candle (derp...) but besides that no deaths.

I make more money on my solo disco tamer at bloods.

Now.... this was my first attempt; and surely there is room for improvement in efficiency. But while I can see milking tier 3 mephitis being super profitable... I'm pretty sure everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing.
    Andersonius likes this.
  9. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Vella made a shit ton of gold because he FARMED A TON... not because he did it on triple tamers.

Thats just my opinion.
    Basoosh likes this.
  10. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

I personally think that anyone thinking someone having a "no bathroom break for 5 hours straight farming session" isn't right needs to seriously think why they worry about what someone else is doing. That is what is needed to take a step back from and contemplate. People doing just that is good for the server not bad at all. Someone enjoying this server until their eyes bleed is the definition of success for any UO server. Good Lord this is a game that many of us have played for 10, 15 or more years.
    Basoosh, Maltman, Ahirman and 2 others like this.
  11. Player X

Player X Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree with this statement, I would like to point out that 3rd party programs grossly changed UO... yes it's gross. And yes I use them but only to keep up with the rest of you. I would love to see them destroyed.
    Triple boxing is made possible by these programs and further "changes the landscape" of the game.

TLDR: Remove all 3rd party program compatibility on UOR. :D
    Blaise and boothby like this.
  12. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

You're completely right. I almost feel silly for making that statement, forgetting about the major effect that 3rd party programs had on the game.
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

It seems to me that the core of this discussion is because of the bragging that a few players engaged in.

The takeaway from this is that other than people randomly dropping the phrase "triple boxing" no one has bothered to speak to any of the staff clearly about the problems. Most of the statements seem to focus on "tamers are to OP, nerf them" Not anything substantial that the staff can address.

In the last few days some players reported a situation in which young players could macro taming with zero risk. This was fixed immediately.
    Someone reported a few locations in which players, while attended, were using a tamer to farm a specific creature with little or no risk. This was fixed immediately.

We have no plans here to adjust any class of playstyle because they suddenly become to effective in a variety of situations. This argument makes about as much sense as demanding that fishing be nerfed because people have 3 monitors and its not fair that they can watch 3 accounts fishing at the same time when other players can only watch one.

That said if there is an imbalance in the design of the world in which a player can gain an abnormal financial benefit with a minor amount of risk then generally the staff will look into this. Did we anticipate that the players would all work together and run public harrowers years ago when we designed and planned our custom champion system? Not the least.

Have we slowly worked to adjust the champions and the spawn process to account for this? Yes. Will we continue to improve the system to reward risk and negate the benefits of low risk behavior? Yes.

But seriously enough of this "triple boxing" talk like it is the new trammel slur. First off it makes no sense, as no one plays with 3 computers. I've been at this for a while and even I WTF'ed over the term.

Just because someone posts a house for sale for 500k over the deed value does not mean the house market has suddenly crashed. Just because a player brags they can make 500k/hour "triple boxing" does not mean this happens or is even possible. However if someone has the ability and skills, and has invested the time in creating and training characters and completing multiple bonding quests (I think the player in question has completed more than anyone on the server) Then yes they can be very successful at something they worked for months to accomplish.

The staff here believe in the bonding system and our taming mechanics. We believe this is a fair compromise between all the varying mechanics of this era and rewards the players who invest their time in this trade. The taming quest has only been run around 160 times in the last 18 months. That is 1600 additional bonded pets on a server with 26,000 accounts with 43326 characters.

This said we are always open to player concerns regarding the health of the world. So if you want to make this place better then lets continue the discussion with constructive ideas rather than "fuck tamers".

Pet skill loss will return in the next patch, and the harrower reward logic is being completely re-designed. Judge things for yourself rather than putting to much stock in bragging and fearmongering.

When you see something in the world that concerns you, simply contact a staff member to discuss it. We are always around to listen.

Side Note: This is not a discussion about 3rd party applications as I am sure 99% of the things being discussed in this thread could be accomplished without razor if a player set their mind to it. The point of the discussion is the world aspects that reward stacking multiple characters in certain situations resulting in a low risk endeavor with high value rewards.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  14. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

Fair enough.

I remember passionately trying to lobby against "triple boxing" ( or using three accounts at the same time as we called it back then lol) on another server a long time ago, a legendary server that had very cool and amazing staff that made smart changes fast. And although I argued well and a lot of players agreed it was unfair and not era accurate, nothing was ever done about it.

Eventually, I began to feel like "using three accounts at the same time" wasnt that bad anyways. I don't think allowing players to do everything by themselves through three accounts hurts player interaction as much as people think. There is no guarantee those players who enjoy playing with themselves so much would ever want to interact with others anyway. Perhaps it allows anti social players to enjoy the full games content. I would never do it, I dislike playing this game alone with a passion, but lots of others seem to enjoy it.

In my earlier post I thought two accounts would be a cool compromise and I still don't see how it would hurt anyone or why it was pumped up to three accounts but I bet there's probably a solid reason, perhaps to be like other free shards.

I think it's sad that everyone has a crafter, we will never have smith friends or tailor friends that we go to for those goods. But part of the reason for this is that everyone wants to experience every pixel of UO. Everyone wants to do crafting, pvm, pvp, and so far it seems a lot of people enjoy the formula of getting everything. I'm not saying I like it or that it was the way it was meant to be but others are enjoying it.

In the end I think there are other ways to boost player interaction and we should focus on those ways. (Right now for me at least it has seemed outside of IRC and forums its been very hard to find anyone to play with and I wish there was a client side fix to this because a lot of new players don't want to fiddle with irc and forum. Personally I would have left the server long ago if not for forums and irc and a lot of players are much shyer than me and don't like chatting outside of the game. ) The success of this game is tied up in how much everyone gets involved in the community and becomes friends and adventures together and stuff and there are a lot of ways to promote that besides making it so people can't triple box (seriously what am I supposed to do with the other two computers I went out and bought to play this game? Donate them to good will?)

@Ducky Yeah I criticized UO a lot and I'll continue to. The original game could benefit a lot from improvements, and I was under the impression that's why this shard is called history perfected and is not like other shards that seek to be perfectly accurate reproductions.

Allowing people to use three accounts is one of these "improvements" though not a unanimously beloved one. "Razor" is also an improvement, one people seldom dissaprove of because inconvenience is not always fun or immersive.

I hope there will be more improvements, such as slayer spell books, which will simply expand the game and create more variety without pissing people off or being a disgusting overly customized mess like some servers become.
    I view such improvements as what OSI should have done: keep what works in UO exactly the same and merely expand upon it in the same vein so players have lots to do and don't get bored.
    Ahirman likes this.
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Multi-boxing does not necessarily imply that you are using more than one PC. In the first line of the Wikipedia article it states that it can also be multiple instances of the game on one machine. I don't think there is anything incorrect with referring to 3 tamers run in tandem with complex macros as triple-boxing.

I have a tamer. Three of them now. I like my tamer and I've used it quite a bit for pve and hold and have held plenty of high leader board spots. I don't think it is the same thing to say "fuck tamers" if I believe that tamers are too powerful in pve and pvp and this has been compounded by multiboxing.

And let me be clear that I am not confused about which issue I have a problem with. I have a problem with several issues.

I think tamers are too strong in pve.

I think tamers are too strong in pvp.

I think tamers are too strong when multi-boxed and their entire game play can be too easily run via macros.

Many tamers are played afk and are only at risk from other players finding them. The pve is just not challenging enough for them to need to be at keys, and much of the loot that they are interested in goes straight into their pack or stays on the ground long enough to be picked up at their leisure.

For instance, try to wrap your mind around this guy that sits AFK at the sacrifice shrine all day every day with nothing on his person and his mares kill the trolls and forest troll bosses without any need of healing (or pet loyalty loss or any other problem. His only risk is from players

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/89005
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Troll
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/ForestTroll

He doesn't mind being killed. He's quite pleasant about it. It's a lot of work to kill his pets and he doesn't lose anything for it other than time his tamer was killing mobs afk anyways. He just resses at the shrine, brings bandages down for his mounts and sets back up. All he has to do is check his backpack occasionally for plat or a statue.

All arguments along the lines of "if you can't beat em join em" or "no-one's stopping you from playing a 50 str beggar" or "well this game's old and screwed up anyways, so let's just ride this slippery slope on down with shit eating grins on our faces" are fallacious if the accusation is that tamers are too strong and triple boxed tamers are even worse.

Balance makes a game better. It makes a game more fun. Variety will keep people interested. It's not variety when one set of skills dwarfs all others by such a ridiculous margin. 2015 PvE leaderboard- 1. Tamer 2. Tamer 3. Tamer 4. Tamer 5. Tamer. There is a wealth of data collected on the website that says tamers are nearly the only skill set represented in pve. The Robin Redding's of UO:R will not return without change.

Many would be happy with just era accuracy. Tamers are about 40% stronger here (considering they get an extra dragon vs what they could control in era.) In PvP they have been well known to kill instantly with unavoidable damage. They represent a massive amount of tanking hit points and low risk/high damage over time compared to other characters.

There has been mention of nerfing tamers in a faction setting. Is this admission from staff that tamers are not balanced in a pvp situation? If so, why don't we nerf them in all pvp situations?

I'm not asking for a dexer or pure mage or bard to be as strong as a tamer. I wouldn't dare reach so high. But I would like to see a UO:R where other skill sets and play styles are more well represented.

[​IMG]
    Clouds, One, Blaise and 7 others like this.
  16. Andersonius

Your seriously going to bring up someone camping the troll spawn? That person is not making much at all in the long run doing what they are doing. Absolutely not at all a good example.

*edit*misread your post sorry
  17. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

A guy killing boss mobs afk for hours a day is a fine example of a low risk situation. I could tell you that vella gets three venom spawns to level 3 and simultaneously loots the dread spiders and matriarchs (both squishy mobs) with very well designed macros doing the work and he gains more gold and plat than people can likely conceive. But I'm not here to say that tamers make too much gold. I'm here to say that tamers are too powerful and too low risk. I think they make a lot more gold than other skill sets in the process. But I don't think a patch where tamers only produce 2/3 as much gold on mobs they kill will address the issues I'm concerned with. I'm not an expert on video game economies anyways. But I do think that it would be a more fun server if dexers and bards and pure mages were more well represented in pve or pvp. And the reason that tamers are so well represented is not that just that dragons are cool. It's that they're too much stronger than the other skill sets.
  18. Melochabre

Wow. Very well stated Mes. I had no idea that tamers could literally sit afk and plat farm.

The problem is exactly what Mes and many others have stated. Tamers reap great rewards while experiencing some of the lowest risk. Being able to run three tamers at once just makes it that much worse. There needs to be some balance to it.

I think the reason that these topics veer from discussing ways to solve problems is because one side first needs to illustrate to the rest that there is actually a problem to solve.
  19. Andersonius

*misread*
  20. Andersonius

-