Trust

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Hiji Zuru, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

2. Dun Scaith

Dun Scaith Well-Known Member

With the community being as small as it is.. *shrugs* it would be nice to assume that.
  3. Treasureman_Retired

Treasureman_Retired Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

When I make trades, I tend to use the same character I always use dressed uniquely to my setting. It takes a lot of work and a lot of time to gain trust of people, but is worth it in the long run. It makes the process incredibly easy to trade items and receive gold before giving the item.. like with paying my main char (where all my gold is at) and making the trade on my mule (character with the items). Trust is earned with "consistency" is probably the only way to gain trust on a shard that allows for multiple accounts. Unsure if we have protocols in place for trusting, but I know if you scam someone using programs sponsored by the shard (IRC or forums), you pay the penalty and risk getting banned. I trust very few people on this shard, and it took years because I was previously burned by someone I completely trusted..

All I can say is, tread lightly.
  4. Dun Scaith

It sounds like you still harbor a grudge.
    I suppose the point of continuing to harbor that grudge is to show that it meant something?
  5. Treasureman_Retired

Oh yeah. I trusted this guy with pretty much everything I had.. and he ended up using a friend exploit where he logged out on the steps of a castle and placed a box at his feet and logged out. Upon logging back in, he was pushed to the second floor past my barricades and looted me dry. Then he made it a point to say I looted his house, lied about him, and proceeded to run my reputation through the mud. You damn right I am holding a grudge, because it was not about the items (I was going to give them to him anyway as I moved over to UOR), and it hurt when he did it.

Items... meh..
    Trust... different story...
  6. Dun Scaith

That is truly the act of a real shitter, far greater than I've encountered.
    I agree completely. Trust is a different story.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

This thread makes me want to plug @Pirul's idea to start a list of community supported A-List sellers and Brokers. It would have to be run by a pretty credible person and should require several recorded instances of honest and hassle free trades.
    One likes this.
  8. Treasureman_Retired

As I progress to the other side of the fence, pending time I have available and the blessing of Chris.. I see this idea to be genuinely beneficial to the shard and the trading process. I could potentially run this, if approved. This is all theory, because I do not fully understand all of the tasks that will be entrusted to me yet, or if this concept would even be accepted. Still a good idea to say the least.
    One likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

this is just me and my big fat opinion, but I think qualifications would include but not limited to

1. Established forum history (100+ legitimate posts)

2. demonstrates understanding of value of most items on market

3. 3+ endorsemens from people outside the player's immediate circle of friends

4. Ability to control a trade situation ina secure manner (nothing can destroy credibly faster than a 3rd party thief or interloper interfering and casting doubt on the broker being party to the activity)

10. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Jupiter likes this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

show of hands, who has not only gotten ripped off/scammed via a posted forum trade AND had it remain as such after notifying an admin?
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

13. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with trading either, but I'm not the most active in those parts.
    wylwrk and Jupiter like this.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a secret that I am a big advocate of brokers. Not because I am generally untrusting of people who don't have a reputation to uphold (which I am), as much as just believing it provides peace of mind to all the parties involved.

But to amswer your question, as others have mentioned before, trust is built very slowly one trade/interaction at a time. Don't be a douche. Be fair. Live up to your word. Trust will fall upon you in time.

As for @Jupiter's post, it is very doable, and has been done elsewhere before. You just need the right person to run it.
    One and Jupiter like this.
  15. NerK

NerK Well-Known Member

Wow this post makes me sad...

I've had nothing but positive experiences here.. Aside from someone not turning in an oaks skull... Telling me they never got it!

I find most players to be very trust worthy... I think following along on IRC gives you a good judgment of character...
    Jupiter likes this.
  16. One

One Well-Known Member

Jupiter likes this.
  17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Trust no one unless you can slap them in real life.
    Jupiter and M3THMOUTH like this.
  18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Oh, I could slap a ton of people IRL, and I still wouldn't trust them!
    Jupiter likes this.
  19. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

I think finding good friends will solve 95% of all problems but obviously you can have trouble with people. I feel like the age of players here makes a big difference; but I could be wrong.

As a kid on OSI and Hybrid all I did was scheme and scam any way possible. Fake house trades and all that stupid jazz, cross-shard scams, befriending people and all that stuff.... But, I started playing Hybrid at 11 years old; basically what I am saying is that (IMO) is little kid shit.

I do have a thief, who can stealth and hide and I do plan on trying to break into some houses... But not any of my friends or even anyone who is even a little nice to me.
    One likes this.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member