Ultima Online ambient sounds

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by Saphireena, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Hey, great Idea! Didn't check fiddler before, and you are right, ambient sounds for jungle looks like that are .wav and not midi/mp3 tracks ;)

upload_2018-10-7_22-3-4.png

I'll try to investigate if this sounds are triggered by the server as midi/mp3 are.

Thanks!
    JimmyTheHand likes this.
  2. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Haha, yeah there are sound effects alright.
    Separate files isn't exactly what we're discussing, but thanks for that :)
    We know the files as they stand are there, but they're all short files that obviously need a soundboard/mixer setup happening, opposed to ongoing song tracks like has been assumed.

We'd be the only emu shard with this feature. :p

As for annoying as hell, any new/renewed implementation should obviously have a on/off switch or even individual filters for regions, etc. Either through Razor, a different application or even a gump :)
  3. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

One way I know to see how these can be triggered is by looking up the monster sounds in the code. Where that is slips my mind.
    Also you can add ~4096 open slots for new sounds by hex editing the clinet.. but that's another topic.

Also it's +1 sound location..
    nightmare.cs
    Code:
    BaseSoundID = Core.AOS ? 0xA8 : 0x16A;
    That is Grizzly5.wav but due to how it's handled +1. it becomes 0xA9 Horse1.wav

Code:
    public override int GetAngerSound()
      {
      if (!this.Controlled)
      return 0x16A;

return base.GetAngerSound();
    }

of course this info only really relates to creatures / creature 'ai'.. but yeah

---
    grammar nazi
    JimmyTheHand likes this.
  4. JimmyTheHand

Sounds are definitely triggered in server code, but none are associated with a region, that's strictly a music thing. Which is where I was going with my 'spawner' thought, that they may have been strategically placed around and triggered by proximity.

It'd be really nice if the hex values on the sound files matched up to the Sound.def file.

[​IMG]

I'll have to fire up RunUO and shoot off some values to check that.

I have a sneaking suspicion they will, but which value? :)
    Will also need to check region values... and what's the 0 for? All of them have that, so either nothing, or a placeholder for a value sent...

But I'm busy right now :p
  5. JimmyTheHand

Haha not my intent. I thought you were showing a "them and us" mentality, so I reinforced the community spirit! <3
  6. JimmyTheHand

Actually the 'spawner' or, invis sound node, would essentially do the same thing.
    If you follow those functions around I believe I saw a reference to 'direction' as well. Which could actually be what the 0 value is.

Zero woild then be playing it at the location if thing that triggered it...

Cant be just -1/+1 though.
    Ooh.

I have to test. Maybe later.. but I wonder if its just a value per direction. Eg.

[1]- -[2]- -[3]

[4]- -[0]- -[5]

[6]- -[7]- -[8]

I'm now in the realms of wild speculation, so I'll stop posting without investigating for a bit :p
  7. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Bump hoping you guys smarter than me can figure this out. Drives me absolutely crazy hearing the same 4 or 5 songs over and over.
    Andrakus and PaddyOBrien like this.
  8. JimmyTheHand

I have something in the works that will address the problem, not a typical fox but you may find it even better.

Ive not forgotten! :)

Does my bloody head in to, so mich that I killed it entirely. Which makes me sad. Very.

Actually, I'll take it beyond testing phase when I next work on it. Something else occupying mefor a day or two though :)
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  9. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Hey Jimmy are you planning handle this with assistant? I mean if you receive some specific conditions from server, location, animation or whatever... you make the client play the right sound?
  10. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

So weird. Its probably because I was paying cloer attention than normal but today I heard a few songs I dont think ive ever heard before on this server.

I know this isnt a unique thing with UOR, I remember a lot of the songs being removed or muted a few years into OSI. You can find all the songs on the first few CDs. I have a copy of all of them from the Charter edition up until AOS. I sold my unopened Charter Edition a few years ago for ~$460. I originally paid $150 for it so I made quite a bit but in all honesty I wish I hadnt have sold it.
  11. Nightwolf

Nightwolf Active Member

12. JimmyTheHand

Client position in the world will be a parameter that will be used / can be used yep.
    I'll be using the available regions and biome types for the 'default', but beyond that a few other things as well will be simple to implement.
    I'm 99.99999% sure there is no possible shiftery via tany of this, it's all just our own ears and will be not capable of linking data that might provide advantage.

Example of shiftery that will definitely not exist: an audio cue from a non UO track/sound effect that triggers every time player with serial number X appears; "Jimmy North East!".

Example of simple, neat feature: user can define or draw a custom region that can have a specific song or set of songs play whilst your character is inside it. Maybe certain tiles as well, perhaps you have a preferred song or set for fishing, etc.

Edit one more time: This is not "Assistant" as you may know from code, As in it's not Razor.
    It won't be a stand alone "just some music thing" though, it's intended as part of a set of tools, although some are more "assistant" type, like my JMap and the ui extension, JBars, (buttons for spells, skills, standard consumables, and existing data represented in different ways that people will find useful). There are far more things in the works that lean toward a toolset of stuff that is both useful and cool, as well as unique to our UO:R :)

Oh, and, assuming no unexpected insanity trying to do a couple things... it's true native multi platform when versions are compiled for running. Hooray!
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Buga likes this.
  13. JimmyTheHand

Heya, I havent looked but I think it's this thread where myself and maybe some others gave links to full listings of songs in mp3, as well as I posted a full listing of the original MIDI versions. I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!! Expertly made MIDI from the era.... an art form.
    Go try run any old song through a free converter... it is the devil. I certainly didn't write these MIDI's lol :)

Anyway, I'll check back later and drop the links if you've not found them already. Do with them as you will!

@Nightwolf Hay! I sees ya! :) Your work? Same conversion as mine? (wherever turns out to be)
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  14. JimmyTheHand

15. Andrakus

Andrakus Well-Known Member

I think it'd be awesome
    I agree 100%. I'm not that smart but i'd absolutely love to have some of those ambient sounds again.
  16. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can help a bit with this topic, Jimmy will do something that will "patch" this issue, but the real thing should by fixed server side, and we will need help from @Chris

I already sent him a message and told me that we can take a look, but I know he is pretty busy so didn't bother him again. Let's see if he read the pots!
  17. JimmyTheHand

Definitely the wrong word, "patch", hehe.
    It will simply be one part of a collection of tools, assuming I go ahead with this third iteration.

I'm a little disheartened regarding work for UO atm, but sound stuff is the first thing on my list after finishing porting map and bars again :)

Server side is definitely where the proper fix lies though yeah.
  18. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry if patch didn't sound well, my English is not so good. A tool that players could pair to their client to make sounds play right :D I hope you'll get some time/desire to continue developing your tools!
  19. Buga

Buga Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon this and I thought adding it here for the record, this explains how config.txt works, and describe the zone trigger to play music and when it stops or just loop.

Andrakus likes this.