Ultima Online: Lost and Found

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by PaddyOBrien, Sep 16, 2014.

1. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Nymeros in some time but @Jittery Sauce might know what he's up to, would be cool if he came back!
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey! Glad to have another Europa player! Welcome! It might have been KT. I didn't really hang out with the whole guild as much as with 3-4 guys, and we would hang out in Trinsic. It may be that the guild was not town based, and it was just us that were. We used to hunt Hyth deamons until they launched T2A when we moved to hang out in Ice...A LOT!
  3. Titanious

Titanious New Member

I lived on Great Lakes from 1998 to 2000 and on Siege Perilous from 2000 to 2004 with the occasional re-upping of my account for a handful of years after. Though I do recognize some of the GL guild names here the only character name I remember is Ronald McDonald - I think each of my friends were PK'd at least once at his hands. When I first started on GL I had the fortune of being taken in by the Guardians of Light and Virtue (GLV) and we spent most of our time trying to defend the roads between Trinsic and Britain from various troublemakers (but you'd often find us spending our down time at Kazola's Tavern in Yew).

My participation in the GLV lead to my two+ years in the Trinsic Town Council (TTC). My primary characters in the TTC were Titanious and Anton LaVey. We helped organize events in town (craft shows, role playing events, tournaments, etc). "ran" the town council, and even founded the Church of Tyr. We also managed to attract the attention of an occasional Seer from time to time. My interest in the TTC eventually waned given the various in-game politics (go figure) but mostly due to my eventual full time dedication to crafting. As Titanious, I became a 7x crafter and ran an extremely successful shop out of a small to the South of Trinsic (just a few houses West of that Southern gate). At one point we had wall-to-wall vendors (with two on the porch) selling nearly everything that could be crafted by players or acquired in our travels (mostly loot drops). Both 1999 and most of 2000 found me playing UO nearly every single day and sometimes upwards of 8+ hours a night. We became very familiar with the shard warp times.

I started as Titanious on Siege soon after the shard first launched (sometime in the latter half of that year) and fell in love with it, moving to Siege full time in 2000. Our intention there was to launch a trading company of sorts that would generate a lot of community participation. We founded a guild called TPV and tried to focus on commodity trading using set/current prices of raw materials on the shard. Though outright sales of "raws" (boards, ingots, leather, feathers, etc) included outright purchases with gold, we did encourage trading raws for raws at the set market value. An example being if Gold ingots cost 20gp each and Iron cost 10gp you'd have to trade twice as many Iron ingots to cover your Gold ingot order. We even had a website and active trading forums at one point. That worked well for a while but after a few months it devolved into fulfilling bulk orders for raws from our previous customers. Not that I'm complaining (we made millions) but I was always a little disappointed there wasn't more community participation.

I have a bard and a dexxer running around UOR now for adventuring purposes, but my primary character remains Titanious - who has recently made his home in the Minoc/Vesper area (I think I've had my fill of Trinsic). Don't know if there is any room on the shard for another dedicated crafter but that has always been what has given me the most enjoyment in UO. There is just something about running a full blown, well oiled vendor store in UO that has never been replicated in any of the numerous other MMOs I've played since.
    Lyta and PaddyOBrien like this.
  4. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

[KT] was big on Europe, a none RP guild and many of them did hang out in Vesper, around the bank area. Two of them wracked up an RP event we had in the south Vesper, moved around the furnitures we had placed in the hall there. We contacted the GM of KT and the two players came to us later and appologized. which was very nice really. Thats my biggest and most clear memory of KT and that is one reason I remember that whole event at all, which was a "boring" trial that we had anyway... The two KT made it less boring really... ;)

//Pekka - former Voice of Kha [KMK]
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. Dot Com

Dot Com New Member

Great Lakes from about 98-02. Roleplayed with the Bloodrock Clan orcs [URK] most of the time and even was guild master for a bit. Great group of players and a tight community. They are the reason I'm here today.

Characters:
    Grur'bak [URK]
    Warwick
    DJ Sife
    Xegugg, Vishakt and PaddyOBrien like this.
  6. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

Europa early 2000 - late 2001.

Only character anyone might even vaguely recall is I spent about 6 months wandering around on my beggar, Mathias the Poor, with his pet mongbat Roach. Used to flog copies of the Big Issue and set up admission stands outside dungeons and other exciting stuff like that. Lived out of the first small tower on the road out of Trinsic. Gave that to a random passing player on the day I quit, he probably eBayed it for hundreds.

There's very few folks from then that I can remember tbh. Oona Moonstone, Kas Valentine, Orangebeard, Hatchet Harry. It was so long ago.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

TBH? The Black Hand? If so, hail brother!
  8. Witchcraft

Eos the Monk [KGB] and Witchcraft here..
  9. Witchcraft

From mortal enemies to homeys now..

Long live The KGB!
    PaddyOBrien and TreeHugger like this.
  10. DrFunke

DrFunke Active Member

Played Baja from '99 to '04 as DrFunke and Pete's Wicked (the naming of this char involved a case of Pete's Wicked beer while liberating real llamas from the pasture I lived next to).

Glad to see a couple other folks from Baja! Did I read somewhere @Treasureman and @Telamon resided in Baja at one time?
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  11. Treasureman

Treasureman Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

@DrFunke
    Played my entire career on Baja. I played some Chessy and Catskills with RL friends, but Baja was home base. I played there with Telamon, where we were in his guild called ANI Reality. It was a fast-paced IDOC dominating guild, where simple effective rules and trust made the operation very successful. The character I played was named HeadHunter, which had neon red hair and a red neon goatee. I lived outside of Trinsic if I remember correctly, in a large brick. That was my sole place of residency (hard to remember). But I do remember placing a 18x18 right outside of the town Luna, when it was finally released.

Treasureman
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  12. Vishakt

Vishakt Well-Known Member

I remember fighting KGB a lot on Seige and then working with them in Shadowbane. Good group.
    PaddyOBrien and Witchcraft like this.
  13. Witchcraft

Did you ever get a chance to read this? Some Siege action on here, you might see yourself!

http://www.the-kgb.com/uo/sentinel.htm
    Vishakt likes this.
  14. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Wtf is Luna?
  15. Treasureman

Treasureman Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

@TreeHugger

I am not 100% sure the town was named Luna. It was one of the new expansions, where it was the first city that allowed people to place houses inside the town walls/guard protection. The gate to the place was located in the center of town, where the vendor houses could be placed in a circle/square formation on the grass surrounding. I may be remembering a different game or some dream I had. I swear it was in UO though.

Treasureman
  16. PaddyOBrien

Man now I have to dig up where I put those trammely screenshots I took of osi Atlantic when i did the 2 week free trial a few years ago for shits and giggles. WHatever bank I was at, had an extreme amount of trammel and was quite disgusting lol.
    Kalvasflam likes this.
  17. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Yeah, when I left Osi in 2005/2006 Luna was pretty popular and seemed to have replaced the WBB entirely. One reason for its rising popularity: Every NPC shop, from Tailor to Blacksmith to Stable etc. was (nearly) on the same screen with the bank. So, you could bank and also have everything you need in range. However, running around the outskirts of luna was like running through a mall. The by far largest vendor shops I have ever seen in UO. Dozens of 18x18s, all entirely full with vendors. There had to 100s of vendors within a few screens. And almost every vendor was wearing the brightest neons. I also have a few screens and may post them for fun this evening.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I remember briefly checking that out, but I thought the houses there were not guard zone. Wow that really is kind of lame. Guess it doesn't matter since the whole Malas facet was trammel rules if I remember correctly.
  19. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

If you want to see how terrible Luna is when it comes to the number of Vendors and players there, take a look at this video from 7:09 - I was a bit chocked really. Who have time to check out what is on these vendors?? Well fortunately, OSI came up with a database over all items at the vendors and a recall button, so yopu could recall direct to the vendor that has the best price or whatever search critera you enter, which seems smooth and is also presented in this Video

Well goto 7:09 if you want to see the vendor lagged Luna
  20. PaddyOBrien

Wow that looks so terrible I couldn't stand more than a few minutes of it. It is so depressing what they've done to UO.
    Kalvasflam and Pekka like this.