UO:Renaissance - Thieving perfected (ongoing thread)

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by BlackEye, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Garresh

Garresh Member

Congratulations! Very good steal there. I'm a little envious.

Any idea what that'll go for? I'm not overly familiar with how Silver affects weapon pricing.
    Seu Madruga likes this.
  2. Seu Madruga

Seu Madruga New Member

Probably 50-80k but I'm looking for fun.
  3. Mundungu !

Mundungu ! Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This is the kind of stuff that I'm looking to stir up !
    3 thieves ready to go finally !!
    :p
    Garresh and Seu Madruga like this.
  4. Seu Madruga

Seu Madruga New Member

Today I've found an adventurer fighting for your life against an efreet boss, I wait patiently until boss goes down. I managed to steal the shiny platinum coin but failed to escape alive. Lesson learned, sometimes the shiny coins lead you to death.
    [​IMG]
    The Crooked Warden likes this.
  5. Garresh

Garresh Member

From Moonglow Invasion to Home Invasion

Luck is a funny thing. She gives you everything you could want, then snatches it away at a whim. But on the rare occasion that she is feeling generous, great things can happen. I had planned on a relaxing evening of sipping on white russians and emptying Don Julio's pack for the umpteenth time, when I was set upon by orcs and ettins.

Confused and a bit frightened, I ran to the nearest human I could find and asked him what was going on. To my dismay, his pockets were empty. He also didn't know. As all of my unbeknownst business partners were leaving town, I decided to take a quick stop by the last town on my list, before returning to Moonglow to watch the festivities. I was not disappointed.

Upon my return, I found armies of dragons and players engaged in battle all across the town. I quickly realized things were too chaotic for conventional theft, but I found myself wanting to roll the dice. I started riding up to people and blind-robbing them. As I saw it, either I get something good and skip town, or I get an ever-growing audience of angry tamers. Either result would be acceptable, and tonight I found quite the audience. When I was finally caught I died in mere seconds.

Upon my revival, I thought my fun would be over, but I spied through the wall several seemingly afk individuals just outside the healer. I took a moment to make myself look good(because that's half of the reason we steal, isn't it), and then proceeded up to an individual on horseback. He did indeed have a few choice elements, but as I was planning my next move, I saw him cast a Gate Travel spell...and fail? Interesting. He didn't have any regs...ahah!

A nearby player dropped a bag of regs for him, which he immediately picked up. No trade window? Semi-afk multiboxing in a warzone? This looks like a mark! So I held fingers until he cast the gate spell, and silently slipped through. I quickly stepped to the side and surveyed my target. The house was a small tower, and I dared not move too close lest I trip and reveal myself. Still, I had a good feeling, so I patiently waited.

I watched as he and his alt came and went before finally opening the door. I darted through as he was switching windows and slipped past them to move upstairs. To my surprise, the upstairs was empty, but he had a wall of 9 chests and kegs lining the wall of the first floor. Patience, I told myself. The time will come. I knew if I screwed up I was toast, as my horse was currently some orc's dinner.

As I sat there, I saw my mark leave and return several times. I slipped down and started to survey the goods between his returns, and developed a plan of attack. After the 3rd time, I snuck down, grabbed everything I'd set in my mind to take, and left on foot. He unfortunately didn't have the regs for a recall spell handy, and I didn't feel it necessary to take all of his lower value resources.

Once everything was secured in my bank, I took stock of what I'd stolen. It may be only a humble theft by some standards, but I take pride in it. I got my hands on 20 charges of fortifying powder, 4 higher end magical instruments, about 15k gold between actual gold, gemstones, and low tier magic armor, a couple wands of identification, and an orcish bow. All in all, a pretty good start to burglary, I'd say.

SanGuinolento.png
    Amusing side note: I went back later to get a screenshot since I didn't think to grab any while I was heisting, and the homeowner recalled in as I was standing like that. I was able to slip away, but suffice it to say he had a sternly worded explosion for me.
  6. Fuji Flu

Fuji Flu Active Member

ahh i've taught you well. nice robbery :)
    Garresh likes this.
  7. Garresh

Garresh Member

Indeed. Since you don't mind people knowing, I have no qualms about saying you're one of my chief influences for house burglary. :)

I think it'll still be some time before I catch up to your score though. haha
    Fuji Flu likes this.
  8. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Great theft indeed! Those town invasions can be quite profitable
  9. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

@Garresh @RavenMagi

I declare these two scum thieves to be executed! I WILL HAVE NO PART IN A PLATONIC NOR SENSUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH EITHER OF THEE
  10. Garresh

Garresh Member

You say that every time. Then by friday youre texting Raven and I plat pics and making playful offers that you want to "launder my goods". You talk like you're clean, but we all know you're as dirty as the rest of us. Oh yeah. You know you want my goods. Just admit it. This thief stole your heart. :p
  11. Skippy

Skippy New Member

Old screenshots.
    Before...
    [​IMG]
    After...
    [​IMG]
  12. The Crooked Warden

What's the story behind it?
  13. Skippy

Skippy New Member

No real story, mostly boring. I sometimes take the keys (if you noticed those keyrings in my bag) and go around, finding places to use keys with. Usually, its a fruitless journey, but this one forge opened up and it was like Christmas. :)

Funny thing after this, someone posted on the Napa Valley forums to complain about it, and we all had a good laugh. :)
  14. The Crooked Warden

Like many tales of the past, this adventure found me trailing a man at the Blood Elemental spawn. Elemental after elemental were slain with not much of value for me to snag. As my hope was starting to fade, a blue moongate appeared out of thin air. The tamer made his way through the moongate with me hot on his heels. To my fortune, his misfortune, I found myself sitting in the middle of his keep. With my fingers crossed, he restocked and went back through his gate without ever suspecting a thing. Seeing as I was blocked in to his reverse gate/restock area, I had few options but to take his regs and gold before hightailing it out of the area. In all I made it out with over 132,000 regs and 40,000 gold.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Kiryana, One, BlackEye and 3 others like this.
  15. RavenMagi

RavenMagi Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Damn now thats a good grab.. i never check that spot on my thief but it looks like i might have to start
  16. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

If your reverse gate area has your resource/restock container, you're doing it wrong.
    Isabel and The Crooked Warden like this.
  17. Paithan

Paithan New Member

Hey guys, I hope it's OK to ask a quick question here. Does DEX affect stealing/snooping on this shard?
  18. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

I stole a vanq war hammer last night, only failed 4 times before a success.

Weights/stacks/guard whack system needs a major overhaul

no server has a good thief system in place, if you wanted to add to the perfected motto and offer something era accurate that no one else does, this is the area to focus on.

Gm stealing here is weak
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

in before we all find out ^ is Shadowjack reborn
    ReZon and Jupiter like this.
  20. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member