UO:Renaissance - Thieving perfected (ongoing thread)

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by BlackEye, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I was snooping the usual suspects at Serpent's Hold bank today when I came upon a gold key and a rune for what looked like a house.

My suspicions were confirmed when I gained entry into this house. The owner came in RIGHT after my gate vanished. Phew. I should have dispelled the gate.

So, here I sat. He changed the keys, but never detected.

Screenshot - 3_14_2017 , 4_10_52 PM_reg001.png
    All of the chests downstairs were secure except one. It had a lot of resources, but I didn't want to risk it.

Upstairs looked more promising, but the back room was locked. I grabbed tons of high level tmaps (no lvl 7s).
    Screenshot - 3_14_2017 , 4_15_55 PM_reg001.png

The other 2 floors contained nothing I could access, so I moved back downstairs. I weighed just grabbing the resources and leaving with them and my tmaps, but something told me to peek around more. I snooped the owner and found ANOTHER KEY. I waited for another lull in activity, then stole the key and quickly made my way upstairs to the chest room. They were all locked down and stuffed with loot. I quickly grabbed the valuable and interesting ones... a few slayer instruments, too!

Screenshot - 3_14_2017 , 4_20_58 PM_reg001.png

The owner was dragging a chest up the stairs. Luckily, he dragged it right to the room I was sitting in. The door was locked, and I had his key, so he ran around confused for a second then made a new one and continued about his business... no detect still... He left the chest right inside the door, then ran downstairs. He was running around frantically at this point. I stealthed over to the chest... It was the resource chest from downstairs! Now, I could have my cake and eat it too. As soon as he got back downstairs, I gated out and dragged the chest into my house.

Quite a nice haul for around 10 minutes of work:

Screenshot - 3_14_2017 , 4_32_02 PM_reg001.png
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Kiryana, Valrick, One and 8 others like this.
  2. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Some days ago, I was made aware of a man illegally fishing the seas without a permit. Occasionally stopping by to monitor his activities, I was able to learn his comings and goings. A plan was developed that would not come to fruition. As I popped in this morning to check on the subject of my investigation, I was delighted to see an unlocked door. I did as any good Warden would do and let myself in. The stench of rotting large fish was apparent upon entry into the residence, leaving me no option but to skin the illegally stored large fish into fish steaks. Unfortunately, I made quite a mess while rifling through the illegal contraband, confiscating only the most valuable of items. It was a long haul but soon enough I made it back to the Warden Post with treasures in hand.
    1.jpg 2.png 3.jpg
    Kiryana, shad, k1w1uk and 8 others like this.
  3. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

AWESOME THREAD!!

Thank you, thieves, for contributing your stories! I can't tell how much I enjoy them! I should probably work right now, but all I can do is flipping through the pages and read the whole thread! :D

And to everyone who thinks that stealing might be broken on this shard (which it might be to a certain degree - dunno): I very well remember thievery on Defiance Freeshard. No house looting and hundreds of blessed/newbified items. And even that worked way better than thievery on OSI. In the end there simply wasn't anything to steal on OSI! Besides Powerscrolls at Champs - and that system was completely broken as every little animal (a bird for example) would reveal you every single time.
  4. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

This post made me spill out my coffee all over my keyboard (thank you btw!)... *wipingthelaughingtearsfromtheeyes*

Excellent read! Especially since I reread the Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends last summer!
    BlackEye likes this.
  5. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Haha, glad you enjoy your time here. ;)
  6. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member

I've always been curious as to the overlap in the population that has read the Dragonlance series and plays UO...

I would bet it is high!
  7. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Of course it would be! You would expect that people with such a good taste in video games would also have a good taste when it comes to books..:)

No, seriously, I would like to know the figures also! I always loved Dragonlance! A couple of years ago I managed to befriend one the authors, Margaret Weis, on Facebook. I wrote her a very long pm in which essentially I thanked her for all the happy hours I had with Dragonlance! And to my surprise I even got an answer from her a couple of days later.

Oh btw: If anyone is interested in good (fantasy) books, I can recommend "The Kingkiller chronicle" (Patrick Rothfuss) also. And if you havn't read it yet, please read Ernest Cline, Ready Player One! But that would be OT here, I assume ;)
  8. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Stealing Franz's style for posting stories.

Had a quick run in with two people & decided to try it out. Thank you Franz. The software is pretty fun to play with.

[​IMG]
    shad, Halabinder, Jupiter and 4 others like this.
  9. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Hehe, nice one! I like the attitude in accepting their predicament: "cA are like that".

@SteelyDan don't feel as u've stolen my style, I didn't invent it! It's just good if more ppl use Comic Life, we'll get better quality comics! ;)))
    The Crooked Warden and SteelyDan like this.
  10. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

Dearest Pockets, who is otherwise known as The Crooked Warden, while perusing this enjoyable thread I was rather amused to spot my son's emptied tower featured here (post no. 542) I thought that you might like to know that there was little thought in my sons mind that the residence had been looted, so dedicated you were looting, that the blame was laid on the wandering beasts that live in that corner of the lands. Foolish child for not having any security and leaving his door unlocked, what did he expect.

If there are any of the items still in your possession, as a caring father I would like to take the opportunity to buy the items back for him, if I am able to afford them.

I think he might also be interested in purchasing a fishing permit as illegal as it is it has been his main source of income.
    The Crooked Warden and Jakob like this.
  11. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Good sir! I regret to inform you that one of my cohorts has since fenced the confiscated items from this tale. But alas I am a softy and a man of many treasures, I am sure I can help you to to acquire some materials for your son. Let me know what sort of things he needs! (PM me)

One, Vandalin, snap dragon and 3 others like this.
  12. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

13. Too Old For This ...

Too Old For This ... Well-Known Member

... could be more interesting and educating .... if Franz placed an ordinary crossbow into the trade window the second time
  14. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Great story, Jakob, made me laugh :) And just when I wanted to dismiss this mistake as a noob mistake, I thought about yesterday evening. While I was recalling back to Occlo, my personal weapon of choice (eminently accurate spear of force -> yeah, it's not that good, but to me it's everything right now) went from my fingers to my backpack. And there it was... lying... waiting to be reequipped. Obivously that didn't happen, and when I checked my backpack a hour later, there I was: Idly standing at Occlo bank... without an eminently accurate spear of force...:eek:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Jupiter, Jakob and The Crooked Warden like this.
  15. ToX

ToX Active Member

I have meet him right now. While we are talking about this story, i steal a silver axe from him.
    Lessons are not learned.
    Jakob likes this.
  16. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

For some, wisdom comes more slow than for others!
    ToX and k1w1uk like this.
  17. Silas Blackeye

Silas Blackeye Active Member

This will be peanuts to the rich folk and most of the scores on this thread, but it's been a whole lot of funsies for me for the first 24 hours or so on the job.

(This is sort of continued from my Prison Break comic thread , but I thought it might make sense to post this here)

[​IMG]

Bag loads more stuff I didn't bother taking pictures of, but I managed to scrounge up a ton of invul leather gear, loads of magic weps, instruments, 100s of charges worth of ID wands, whole lotta regs, 100s of ingots, and some gold. I haven't even been here long enough to know the value of any of it - but they'll all be safe and in good hands for now! All in a day's work.
  18. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Great deeds of good done here mr Blackeye! Carry on in this good spirit!
  19. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

Silas Blackeye, did you realise you share a famous fellow 5-fingered discounters name?
    this is a good start but you have BIG shoes to fill , welcome to the thieves guild.
  20. Silas Blackeye

Silas Blackeye Active Member

Yes there was some speculation about us being related in some way. Blackeye has since denied being my father at least. No idea if this is true or if that's just something dads say! As I said before, I come from a long line of people that often get punched in the face. I also have way too many brothers to count.