UO:Renaissance - Thieving perfected (ongoing thread)

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by BlackEye, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ElleFeyRa

ElleFeyRa Well-Known Member

Tears are being shed somewhere... I watch this thread to see if my name pops up again lol. Nice haul brother : )
    eherruh and BlackEye like this.
  2. Fefa

Fefa Active Member

Damn that was BadYins favorit blanky you stole. Now I will drown in dragon tears
    eherruh, Hoominaga, Zylphie and 2 others like this.
  3. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

- "Idle hands are the devil's workshop..."
    The lockpicks on his craft bench had accumulated a visible layer of dust, catching his eye as he was forming his stone ingots. It had been quite some time since they had seen the light of day due to unforeseen life events. Before long, he traded his full apron and hammer in for something a little more fashionable and stowed his freshly oiled lockpicks in his backpack.

As with many other nights, the story began at Serpent's Hold where a group of tamers were followed for a bit before The Warden had decided that they were a hopeless cause. A few stops later landed him at the bank of Skara Brae, just in time to see a blue moongate with not a soul in sight. His old legs made it to the gate just as it was closing where he found himself on the stoops of a small stone tower that had a certain familiarity to it. The ever powerful @El Horno and his lumberjack accomplice were standing only a step away and he dared not move in hopes that the wretched man wouldn't sense his arrival. Seconds later, a second gate appeared which landed all three of our hero's in a run-down log cabin somewhere off of the beaten path.

The Warden quickly searched the contents of the home sensing he could be revealed at any moment. Not seeing much more than a bank note for 60,000 gold coins on the ground, he chose to forgo the check hoping for a larger adventure. Soon a 4th guest appeared through a magical gate and The Warden's excitement grew of the possibilities. The newest guest was snooped minutes later where a Valorite Warhammer was discovered in the midst of his pack. With excitement, The Warden attempted to document his would-be steal with a screenshot. Before he could get it off, a new moongate was formed and the 3 hero's hastily entered leaving Pockets without his blue hammer!

1.jpg

With tears in his eyes, he too entered the moongate which took him to a familiar yet magical landscape. Sensing that this was one of the Christmas dreams he had heard of, he consulted his friend @Hoominaga via carrier pigeon for advice. As he made his way through the maze of bodies, he was unfortunate enough to take one too many stealthy steps and revealed himself to the three heros. After a small chat, he returned to the shadows and spent some time making his way to the White Witch's lair at the end.

2.jpg

Surely these experienced warriors would have very quick fingers when it came to the emptying of the Witch's treasures. The Warden situated himself atop the throne as to not alert the men that he was still in their presence, yet still able to reach the chests. Once unlocked, there was a mad frenzy for the loot and although not quite as fast, poor Pockets was still able to land a stack for 25 green coins. With a successful night in the bag, he headed home to Serpent's Hold to lay his head for a while.

3.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    eherruh, shad, OptimisticSam and 7 others like this.
  4. OptimisticSam

OptimisticSam Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Great story! I've been killed by @El Horno jumping his gates more times than I can count! Surprised you got one over on him!!
  5. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

There is no thief I would rather have join us on an adventure then you sir. Thanks for the good memory, had me laughing pretty hard at our foolishness!
    HulkHogan, One, BlackEye and 3 others like this.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I always thought one of the more under-utilized features of Stealing was that you could steal from monsters. It would seem possible to me that items could be put in a monster's pack which would not drop upon death, but could be successfully stolen while the monster is alive. This type of thing might reward combat-capable thieves (at least, ones that can survive in close proximity to the monster), and be a way to get rid of the constant zero-sum-game that is stealing from other players. Won't make the griefer thieves happy but could add a nice dimension to the skill. I love the way this is incorporated with keys in the pirate AMIB events, but there is still a way to just muscle through that and kill the pirate carrying the key. Something unique to thieves could be a new angle.
    One and JimmyTheHand like this.
  7. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

It's one of the worst things that can happen to the real thief world: distraction by NPCs/PvM content. You are no thief, because you have the stealing skill in your template. You are a thief, when you steal stuff from fellow players, it doesn't matter if you use scams, do house lootings, use psychological manipulation or whatever. So anybody that is doing PvM-type stuff using the "stealing" skill shouldn't even slightly dare to call himself a thief.
    True thieving in UO has and always will be a PvP type thieving. Anything else is just utilization of the skill that is called "stealing" in game. The thieving society in UO, but funnily in many other games and in overall general RP, has rules of conduct. For example, don't steal from fellow thieves. Don't talk to cops. Don't give your loot back for free, ask at least for something symbolic. Be cool, etc etc. Anybody that honors the oldschool style of stealing must detest any PvM content and loath so-called thieves that boast about their achievements from playing vs artificial intelligence. Imho, this very thought of compromising thieving is ridiculous.

Apart from my rant versus calling PvM stealers thieves, why would you want more PvM content that involves the stealing skill? You could also ask for more PvM content for begging or cooking or Spirit Speaking or Alchemy or many other skills. The main difference in asking for PvM content for the stealing skill and associated stealther/rogues is that this would lead to less PvP-type real stealing as it might distract players from PvP type stealing.
  8. k1w1uk

k1w1uk Well-Known Member

I saw a thief actually thank her target because the target chased her around Occlo, it was one of the funniest thing i have seen while sitting at that bank. We need to see more of it. Not just AFK Macroers adding in guards to their macros.
    I would expect that after watching the chase the thief had no fighting skills, just hiding, stealing and stealthing cos they just kept running and hiding.
  9. Rextacy

Rextacy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I was that target and it was the most fun(interaction) I've had with a thief so far here
    eherruh likes this.
  10. King of Fun

King of Fun Active Member

upload_2018-2-1_15-5-1.jpeg

So i have now learned stables are a good way to get your bags cleaned up for you. And a named Panther to welcome the cleaners. :p
  11. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

There is a particular thief who loves stables. Was able to get many hcoins off me from xmas event.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Online PvP with unwritten rules sounds like what I imagine Hell is like. But to each their own!
    One likes this.
  13. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Well-Known Member

I disagree wholeheartedly. I won't bother getting in to my reasons. As Dalavar said...

This.
    One likes this.
  14. Smash

Smash Well-Known Member

The Crooked Warden likes this.
  15. O'Malley

O'Malley Well-Known Member

2 weeks on the server, my first house break. I was doing my rounds picking cotton to sell at NPC vendors at a hopeful 41gp per (im poor), when i see a gate. That blue gate does something to a thief, and I get excited and enter the gate and hide just as soon as its closing, and im in a house. Obviously "Bastos" has opened a gate for a couple horses and his ALT account in his house. I cant use stealth because of my damn horse(which i usually leave behind) but i stay hidden unnoticed for all of about 20 minutes while this guy locks down tables and gets his bard training operation set up. After what seems forever I make myself shown and re-hide, but the man is AFK. I quickly go to work looking through all the magic weapons and colored ingots. I cant carry all i want, but found a ring of keys that will allow my re-entry. I go back once more to carry ingots, and then decide ive had my fill and bank my goods. Only posting this in the hopes the Old thieves on the server here will respect me haha. ^^ thanks Bastos.

Attached Files:

Hadrian, eherruh, Surfrats and 5 others like this.
  16. BlackEye

Welcome to our humble society, O'Malley, and gratulation to your first tale! If you keep on, I am sure the time will come soon enough when you ride a ethereal horse and gate out items into your treasure vault. ;) Best luck with your marks.
    Hadrian, eherruh, O'Malley and 2 others like this.
  17. O'Malley

O'Malley Well-Known Member

Here's another. Was running around picking up trash and cotton to sell, hit a good lick instead. Left a book so whoever this is can contact me and buy back the goods cheap. If i dont hear from him in 5 days I will sell off everything to NPC at an even cheaper rate. Cant wait to get an ethy so i dont have to be the guy hidden on a damn horse lol

EDIT: found a green hued bag also, is this worth anything?

Attached Files:

18. BlackEye

Gratz again. Bags aren't worth anything, usually. It might fetch some 10k if it's a 1st anniversary tagged green bag.
    O'Malley likes this.
  19. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

I was out having a steal with a friend, and some random other thief broke the thieving code. It's war.
    eherruh, O'Malley, Rextacy and 2 others like this.
  20. Omga

Omga New Member