UO:Renaissance - Thieving perfected (ongoing thread)

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by BlackEye, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

Yah, thief's name is Waldo. He broke the code. Time for war.
  2. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@Kexle Do you run around advertising that you're a thief in game? If not, how would he know?
    As for the code... crap imho. I know damn well that there are thieves that wouldn't blink at looting another thief's house dry.

edit: spelling fail
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    One and O'Malley like this.
  3. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

You don't have to advertise in game it's pretty obvious right away who is a thief and who isn't. I made the statement in jest, in fun, bc of the previous convo about the thieve's code blackeye was talking about. Anyone who is running around on foot, I just assume is a thief. Works better that way.

Especially if they have negative karma attached to their name.
  4. JimmyTheHand

@Kexle Ah. Well then, that was not obvious from the statement! I spoke to this fella, he also was not aware of any jest. :)
  5. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

I don't talk to that dude, he roleplays too much for me. Can't have a normal convo.
  6. JimmyTheHand

The horror! Roleplaying in a fantasy roleplaying game! :O :p
    Hadrian and eherruh like this.
  7. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

Nah there's nothing wrong with roleplaying in game dude. It's fine, but when you do it on IRC too in PM, it's weird af and offputting. Trying to have a convo but you cant.
  8. JimmyTheHand

Fair enough. Each to their own :)
    eherruh and One like this.
  9. O'Malley

O'Malley Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

@Kexle , Have some fun buddy. It IS a fantasy roleplay game.
    eherruh and One like this.
  10. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

Well yeah dude. Like I said, no problem with people who roleplay in the game- that can be fun and exciting. But outside of the game in real life- it's just not fun when some dude is trying to roleplay in a PM in IRC, it's just someone who takes this game WAY too seriously. It's just a game, it's in IRC, talk to me like a person.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

12. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I can only advice anybody to follow the long-time tradition of honor-among-thieves. If some mistake happens, which always can happen, then one should work it out and can't expect the other player to realize who he is stealing from. Without at least some chat revealing the same profession, you can't blame the other thief to do it on purpose.

And sure, nobody can enforce the rules with GM powers, but if someone deliberately mocks the rule (especially if it's a fulltime RP-ish dude!), then that thief will hopefully end up as a outcast from the society.

Apart from that, I will still dryloot the house of a fellow that mainly plays non-thief toons and only has a thief in his pool that isn't really used. Especially when he hasn't posted anything in this forum or shown his dedication otherwise.
    O'Malley and OptimisticSam like this.
  13. JimmyTheHand

Not trying pick a fight here, but this seems contradictory to the old (current?) 5D guild rules.

"@steal or attack other 5D members without consent (but our alts are ALL free game."

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Perhaps you learned that doesn't work out, from that?

Additionally we're probably moving outside the realm of the intention of this thread.
    So in keeping with that.....

Thanks [nlu] for the 10k gold and pvp kits earlier! Counters that gank on one of my alts the other day nicely :D
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    O'Malley and One like this.
  14. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

Had a fun time the other night trying to get into GloryWhole/Sindrome's Small Tower. It was a quiet night in Moonglow, but GloryWhole opened up a gate near Glow stables and I noticed him bringing Drakes in and out of his place for Disco macros. I saw he left the door wide open every time he left. So...

[​IMG]

I slipped in to pay a visit.

[​IMG]

It was a bit cramped in there with all the Drakes and him moving around. But eventually he went AFK to do his Disco Macro.

He had his upstairs blocked off and secure well enough. So I dismissed his characters and took what I could off of them and some resources not locked down.
    Not a large haul, but nevertheless a lot of fun from a gate hop.
    JimmyTheHand likes this.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

16. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I don't understand, where is the contradiction? It sounds like exactly what I wrote (non-thief toons free, thieves that break the honor = free game or outcasts).

Apart from that, 5D is no more. And one of the reasons why I stopped the project was that half the shard was in 5D, and that people started to feel they should be safe from steals because they have a (unused) thief in the guild. So yeah, that didnt work out well to take anybody interested into the guild. The few really good and experienced fulltime thieves felt uncomfortable.
  17. JimmyTheHand

@BlackEye

The part about alts being free game is what I was pointing out, as thieves typically have alts. The whole honour among thieves, stealing/looting from those known to be thieves.

Seems my thought that a lesson was learned was exactly what happened, the guildies felt they should be safe.

Part of the reason The Mockers has remained small is this potential situation.
    Also easier management.

Anyway. I am corrected :)

Slipped past any insufficient security lately Mr. Blackeye? :D
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BlackEye and O'Malley like this.
  18. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

azE5P1x.jpg

Found this on Imgur today and thought I'd share it with you fine folks. Ok, bye.
    bart simpson, Alvien, wylwrk and 4 others like this.
  19. JimmyTheHand

Puck likes this.
  20. KIWI_JR

KIWI_JR Member

As my favourite time of the year is approaching I decided it would be a good idea to loosen up those thieving fingers and prepare for Valentines day. I hopped between towns sneaking a look in many an unsuspecting pack when suddenly I found this stash in a pack belonging to a Glorious Lord who appeared to be AFK by a bank.
    Whispering Rose_2-12_22.15 (2).jpg
    I umm'ed and Ahh'ed but the lure of the shinys was too great. I scoped out the guards and when the coast was clear i quickly transferred the goods into my own bank account. A quite day turned into a successful one in the twinkling of an eye.
    result:
    10 plat
    10 HC's
    a tambourine of Repond
    and a harp of Exorcisim
    all belonged to me.

I almost felt sorry for my victim but I felt it was my duty to help with this fellows UOR education.
    Seba, Kiryana, One and 6 others like this.