UOR Factions Sigil Defense 2/10-2/12 ~36 hour battle

Discussion in 'Photography & Videography' started by Mes, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I mean, you literally never have any idea what you're talking about.

They were not outside of a guard zone at that time, nor could I personally make them do so. If you want to know where the GZ ends, run a blue up that bridge and when the invisible barrier stops you, you'll know.

'abusing mechanics'

You are severely retarded.

But for what it's worth, I agree. I believe the mechanic on OSI made them rubberband back to their patrol position once they got so far away. This prevented them from being led off, boated off, stuck in houses, or otherwise go places they were not intended, like inside bases. I talked to Telamon about it nearly two years ago, asking him to bring this mechanic back to the functionality of the guards.
  2. Pax Romain

Pax Romain Well-Known Member

Post it.
  3. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I've been factioning since the only place you could do it was Test Center... and it was always about competitive PVP... which is something you're clearly not interested in.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Cute. But it's too late to move the goal posts to make yourself still sound credible. This touchdown has been scored.

1. [16:48] <Blaise> it's not factions
    2. [16:48] <Blaise> it's stupid as shit
    3. [16:48] <Blaise> hahaha
    4. [16:48] <Mes> what do you know of it Blaise, have you a history of factions?
    5. [16:48] <Mes> guard turrets are 15 years old
    6. [16:48] <Mes> its not like it just started today
    7. [16:48] <UOR_7103> how do i unlock my karma? i dont seem to be getting any i did snooping
    8. [16:48] <Blaise> and are stupid
    9. [16:48] <Mindless> Factions arent 15 years old.
    10. [16:48] <Blaise> hahaha
    11. [16:49] <Blaise> pwn on years son
    12. [16:49] <Blaise> Factions is about 12

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_8
    (december, 2000)

By the way, Mindless, if you don't think I am a very competitive person...heh. I get that you think you guys represent a small faction of fierce noble hearted heroes, trying to deal with a legion of cheating boogeymen. But that is grandiose delusions.

Enough though, I will make a post explaining what the factions system really is, and what things are hurting it (chiefly perception of complaining players that are badgering staff for help).
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

@Mes Just post what these mistakes are. Also, I don't always disagree with you, consider my statement that I do not agree with GM intervention with what some, including myself, are considering a flawed guard/vendor system. I agree with you regarding how GM's should not have taken immediate action, and the guys I play with can vouch for the fact that I voiced that in mumble as well after I heard about it.

I do think there's a misconception on what transpired that day, while some may assume that Blaise single handedly convinced Telamon to do his bidding, I really believe that Telamon saw something that was broken (in his eyes) and decided to put a bandaid over it for now.

Like I said, the community needs to sit down and have a civil discussion on how to make factions work. This jumping to the boards and trashing each other over grudges or whatever needs to end already. I really think that the heated back and forth between everyone is turning some people off from factions, pvp in general, and probably this server.
    El Horno, Prodigy, Mindless and 3 others like this.
  6. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

There's no defense, dawg. Go sit in the corner with Blaise.
  8. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    swiftfeet likes this.
  10. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I played factions extensively during the UOR era on OSI servers.
    Faction vendors being used to obstruct guard movement was a tactic used extensively during that time, in fact the only way in which guards were used then was in turrets. For those that don't know, a guard turret is when you place a few faction vendors and use the natural landscape to create a single enclosed tile. Then you dump all of the caster guards in the turret. Caster AI was a little different on OSI too, so the first person to go on screen with the turret was likely to die to explosions and EBs cast by the guards.

Using faction NPCs and guards you could turret up both CoM and TB base very easily on OSI. TB base was particularly vicious, you could create the turret and a situation where people had to red pot through, and all of this was under the bridge between the two guard towers at the gates, so you couldn't even easily target the guards.
  11. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Factions was introduced in Publish 8 (Dec. 5th, 2000).

Publish 14 (Nov. 30th, 2001) introduced the change where faction vendors could no longer be used as blockers.

It took almost a year but OSI apparently realized it was an issue and fixed/nerfed this tactic. The tactic surviving a year shouldn't be the independent reason it remains live here.

The problem with turrets, while some may argue they are very easily negated/terminated, is that at the same time they really aren't.. especially in the midst of a sigil battle. We all got our laughs when they were set up at banks, I think their current use is a little much. Sure, you can purple pot them down pretty quickly but they can also be re-built just as fast. Not to mention you can also hide a blue near them and run a guards macro. There are back and forths to this debate but I think all in all factions would be a lot healthier without them.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I know where the GZ is and the guards that day were all north of the vendors in the TB base where they simply do not belong. Abusing mechanics to create such scenarios is pathetic and something I would expect of fledgling players who don't have the ability to bring an actual fight to the table. For example, if I had as few scruples as you and I wanted to make a defense, that's what I would do. I just don't do shit like that and think that, OSI accurate or not, faction NPC turrets are bad mechanics and should not exist here as it suits no decent purpose. It's a broken system and needs the players who know the most (TT, Pax Romain, etc) to step up and HELP find a happy balance for the system that can keep it fun and avoid retarded shit like bugging faction guards into bases where they don't belong and making faction vendor walls.

If you want to fight, why not fight and put down the bullshit trickery that made factions actually stupid, not fun fighting. I may not have played it during the day but I have read countless threads as recent as 2012 from OSI players about how stupid these things are. It's not combat if you're pitting mechanic abuse against mechanic abuse. It's just boring shitshows of who can be a bigger turd.
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Well Cynic, that doesn't really change much does it? The turret is used as a barrier for the guards, not the players. Although it certainly is more defensible if it prevents player movement. Even so, that particular mechanic was a standard for the meat of the faction system's popularity. I suppose I can only speak for servers I played like baja and catskills, but as time got closer to AoS's official launch, (ie the times when statloss was removed from dungeons, and such) factions became a less active system.

@Blaise just type turd a few more times, i'd respond to your post but you never say anything worth reading. You do not understand the basic concepts of factions.
  14. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I don't really know dates and shit, that shit was almost 15 years ago. All I know is what I played, and during the height of factions turrets were a common occurrence.

The trickery is mostly us doing what we have to win when outnumbered and facing multiple factions teaming up on us at the same time. I'd love to have straight up fair fights, but that is a rare occurrence here.
  15. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

So I just got whacked for no reason when I was north of the guards because it suits your argument to say so? I have a feeling that's it
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If your concept of factions is using piss poor mechanics to win fights you rightly shouldn't, then I hope we never maintain that logic here because it's bad. No faction collusion was happening when Mes vendor-walled the bridge to block FACTION GUARDS (that's for you Kane, you dolt) north of the GZ where they didn't belong. It was two TB, versus him after Kane got booty raped by trying to cast on my blue who was calmly sailing the small lake around the base minding his own business. lol

Anyway, party on childrens.
  17. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Basoosh likes this.
  18. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I can make this more clear. I got whacked by NORMAL guards.... while NORTH of the FACTION guards. There I made it Blaise friendly. Bee tee dubs, thanks for the kill point, bro ;)
  19. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I can make this more clear. The mechanics used to setup the scenario are terrible and should have no place in Factions. I'm sorry that is the only way you choose to fight now that there's a formidable team to fight against. The guards were moving well beyond your MSPaint lines because they could not return to where they belong, well within GZ. It's ok, paint pictures all day little mens. I understand that's the only game you have left here. Enjoy.