Use of Justice Virtue - Proposal

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jupiter, Jul 13, 2014.

1. snaggle

snaggle Member

Another hiccup that would have to be worked out would be what happens when said champion or said player decides to use the justice virtue and the said pk is already in another battle in the field or even the arena
    Jupiter likes this.
  2. snaggle

snaggle Member

Exactly cause alot of times it just goes wasted or so it seems
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

Very very good ideas going on here, I really would like to see a system like this in game as it would help encourage players to PvP more often and PvMers would not only be able to see the merits of placing bounties on PK's but also know that if PK'd they can send out a plea to be avenged as well.

It injects some really good use to the virtue system which doesn't and hasn't received enough credit in UO, especially on freeshards so I think implementing something like this is a huge win/win for the UOR community as a whole.
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Certainly the PK should get say a 5-minute warning of the impending duel (plenty of time to get out of criminal timer in a given battle, and restock if needed).

As for whether the victim in your scenario Jupiter has a shot at winning the duel, it's still highly unlikely. A player who couldn't get away from a gank squad is quite likely on the weaker side (not always, but most likely). And also more likely to be a bard, a miner, a tamer, etc. Which is also why I like the champion system, because the champion could be their own alt!

Anyways I have virtually no skin in this game, I don't PK nor do I get PKed all that often, but just figured I'd back up my idea against a few of those objections.
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Brymstone

I think that if someone gets PK'd along with the reporting gump is an option to send out a cry for vengeance, then those that have accumulated enough Justice Virtue can respond and issue a challenge to the PK.

If the duel is declined the PK is "locked" in to being tracked by the character who issued the duel until such time as the PK is killed, kind of like perma-grey, but wih a GPS angle to it.
    Dalavar and Jupiter like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Brilliant.

The duel idea won't really give them any fear except to lose their head and lose a fair fight, but by being tracked, they will be incentivized to take the duel so they can fight on their terms versus being hunted down.

Next, should the duel be completed fair (i.e. both contestants spawn with preset GM weapon, set amount of regs, bandages, and pots of all kinds?) If they die, there is no need to worry about losing 'things'. People get hung up on losing 'things' esepcially if it's not their choice.

You could argue that PK's don't really give their victims a choice, but at least they can't 'compel' or force the victim into a 10x10 dueling arena. So in that sense we would have to make sure that what the PK loses is only their head, and maybe a little bit of pride if they get stomped. They should only go into stat loss if they are killed on the field, not in a duel
  7. Brymstone

It could just be that both opponents are un-lootable with the exception that should the PK lose, they can lose their head.
    Jupiter likes this.
  8. snaggle

snaggle Member

The only problem with that is what kind of armor do you give them. I know when I pk'd back on osi I wore a very weird set of armor combo so it is something that was way out of the norm. So I guess if you want to make it fair and not have them drawn into the duel with what they have at that moment, I would say when they are challenged they have 5 mins to stock what they need or they go with what they have.

I personally think if something like this is implemented the said PK shouldn't be able to refuse the challenge they should have to fight it. Losing your stuff is part of the game so if you take something in there you should be prepared to lose it if you lose.
    Jupiter likes this.
  9. Brymstone

The only problem with this is that no one should ever be forced to fight, gold farming is a choice as is PKing. The PK should have a choice to accept or decline but if they decline they will be hunted until such time as they are caught. It would be the modern equivalent of committing a murder and the authorities know who you are and are tracking you down.

The PK has a choice but now it's a choice between getting the duel over with and possibly winning or having a Justice Knight hot on your trail with the possibility of them bringing along a whole bunch of their friends.

If the PK accepts the duel and loses they only lose their head, if they get tracked down in the field then they risk losing their stuff and their head.

I agree the PK should be given a certain amount of time if they accept the duel to outfit themselves accordingly.

There should also be a re-vamped reward system for collecting bounties such as giving Justice Virtue and possibly something else "unique" to make hunting PK's worth it (let's face it, the reason no one hunts PK's is that there's no real reward for doing so)
    Jupiter likes this.
  10. Dalavar

Super clever idea about the GPS, but I think it tips the scales a bit too far.
    Jupiter likes this.
  11. Brymstone

Well it could be something like giving the character with Justice the ability to track that particular PK until such time as the PK is caught and killed, so there would be some work on the part of the Justice character.

Imagine a PK's face after he kills another player and gets the message "you are now being tracked"
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Jupiter likes this.
  12. Dalavar

I'm not sure "until killed" is a good idea. Some actual time limit, IMO, is where the balance would be. 24 hours, or 7 days, or something in between, is probably fair. It's not like being perma-gray as a thief, wherein you can die any time, resurrect, and have a clean slate. Dying means stat loss for these folks, so I'm not sure killing one person with Justice virtue should make them extremely vulnerable until they die. I think it's more than fair to give them this handicap for a limited time though, say 72 hours or something.
    Jupiter likes this.
  13. snaggle

snaggle Member

That makes sense. Also i think if you do decide to refuse then it should be all who have high enough justice who can track you not just the one who challenged you going by your example pf the modern equivalent. And it stays on you until someone who has justice(or high enough justice) kills you not just a monster.

But I still believe that when you enter the duel you should lose what you brought if you should happen to lose. The reason being is because you do get a chance to stock up if you want and there needs to be some sort of risk for the pk and reward for the person who decided to challenge them cause otherwise why even bother to challenge if all you get is some gold and rep. Just like when a pk kills a farmer they have a chance to possible get some good items that the person didn't bank yet, so why not the other way around.
    Jupiter likes this.
  14. Brymstone

72 hours seems fair because even if they opt out and go quiet for 72 hours it puts that PK out of action for a little while. With multiple accounts it doesn't really slow them down too much but it might give PK's a little reserve when they head out if rolling that bard is worth it.
    Jupiter likes this.
  15. Brymstone

Snaggle that's why I propose that a "unique" incentive be given for killing PK's as gold simply is no reason to go out hunting them. If a duel is accepted it gives the person with Justice a better chance at actually being able to "cash in" than having to catch a PK out in the field.

The PK if they lose gives up a head and loses some face, because you know screenies will be going up, which is a good thing as far as the community is concerned because there's PvP going on and PvMers can see that PK's sometimes get their due on this shard.

If the PK declines the duel they risk being tracked down, killed and losing their stuff and their head.
    Jupiter likes this.
  16. snaggle

snaggle Member

That could work.
    Jupiter likes this.
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Also, what if it wasn't 'exact coordinates' but more like: "The fiend has been spotted in the northern regions of the land" and once you are within a set amount of tiles it says "You sense the fiend is within the area"
    snaggle and Brymstone like this.
  18. Brymstone

I like that, makes it a cat and mouse game, then when the Justice character is close enough tracking prompts appear with directions, N, NE, NW, etc. etc.
    snaggle and Jupiter like this.
  19. snaggle

snaggle Member

Those are good ideas
  20. Cedrek

Cedrek New Member

To build off this topic, I feel implementing a new color for "honorable white knights" in UO would be a nice incentive as well. (Someone briefly mentioned this but I would like to expand on it).

To add, let us say that if you manage to kill 5 reds with bounties, you achieve a "title" of (insert of title here) and a new color "white". I feel like some people like being red simply because the psychological impact of "Oh god a red is on my screen!", why can't the blues have this as well.

This could also be apart of the whole "dueling" thing as well (if you won X amount of duels you achieve same status).

I also think that, going back to what was said, you would have to "not attack blues" in order to maintain status. For example if you kill a blue you lose 1 of your "red pk counts", maybe a timer, and once the timer is up, you kill another red you can "re achieve your white status".

As far as the actual idea, i like it. Keep the ideas coming guys.
    snaggle and Jupiter like this.