"Useless Skills" and possible suggestions

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Aeryn Ahr, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Lethius

Lethius Member

Herding

Passive benefits

- animal taming bonus : + % (herding / 5) (20% at GM)
    - animal lore bonus : + % (herding / 5) (20% at GM)
    - damage bonus with shepherd's crook + % (herding / 5) (20% at GM)
    - accuracy bonus with shepherd's crook + % (herding / 5) (20% at GM)

Musicianship + Peacemaking + Herding

- charm ratkind - The rat creature is charmed as if tamed and becomes a pet. Ratmen cannot be stabled, but sewer rats, rats, and giant rats can. Veterinary skill can be used to heal them. Up to 5 creatures may be charmed.
    - 50 / 50 / 50 - charm sewer rat
    - 60 / 60 / 60 - charm rat
    - 70 / 70 / 70 - charm giant rat
    - 80 / 80 / 80 - charm ratman
    - 90 / 90 / 90 - charm ratman archer
    - 100 / 100 / 100 - charm ratman mage
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. Huzke

Huzke Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Jupiter would GM herding so fast..

Actually I would as well. 5 rat man mages? So overpowered :p
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Lethius

Lethius Member

LOL Phear the Pied Piper and his rat gang! :D

[​IMG]
    Huzke likes this.
  4. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Roving bands of macing dexer herding bards with ratman mage pets.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

You'll find no Enticement here sir.
  6. Lethius

Lethius Member

Well, what do you know, I forgot about pub 16! I must be so old school I missed a few classes. I'll adjust!

Peacemaking seems more appropriate than Discordance.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Indeed, and the idea is nifty but I don't think it's gonna float here really. If it did, it should be Charm Humanoid with major restrictions based on the damage potential of the specific mobs.
  8. Lethius

Lethius Member

I was working the pied piper angle, so rats were what occurred to me. If there was another race, it should scale up... snakes to ophidians?

I have no illusions that this would ever be implemented in this way, I just get a kick out of coming up with the idea. :D

Maybe it could be better (and more likely) done with animals, as a kind of musical taming. Scorpions, bears, wolves, any tameable <animal> could be swept up by the bard's song, using the taming difficulty table versus herding.

It uses a greater number of skills than animal taming does to control creatures (music, peace, herding) vs (animal taming, animal lore) so, if there is an advantage... are 5 rat mages stronger than 1 dragon?

Step 1: Herd the creature
    Step 2: Say "all follow me" within the next 10 seconds to attempt to charm it (musical instrument will play) doing a check vs Peacemaking
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  9. Aeryn Ahr

Aeryn Ahr New Member

I am going to agree with you. I think a subtle change would be best, I was pitching ideas but I am glad you made this point. I think maybe it would be cool if dye tubs from the BoD rewards gave you the rare colors, like the cloth from the rewards, then as mentioned before, the ore colors could be crafted for leather and wood. I think mayb if we can all agree and more than one person request something like this the GMs would be more inclined to take the trouble scripting the changes. Scripting is busy and hard work. Asking for a change like this is asking a lot.
    I think it would be reasonable, Marked food and ore color dyed dies for wood items and leather armor.
  10. marine1217

marine1217 Member

Im impressed. You and Telamon should have a conversation one of these days.
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Jupiter and Lethius like this.
  12. marine1217

marine1217 Member

Well allowing possible rares or items being introduced for using these skills like AMIBs would be a good way of starting them off? As well hunger already does impact dex.. maybe introducing a small bonus to making gm food with a small bonus to your stats even pet stats does not seem that bad. We already do have fish that do this.
  13. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

At least in terms of loyalty, currently food only increases pet loyalty by a little. I think allowing "exceptional" food to increase it much more would be a nice addition.
  14. Lethius

Lethius Member

I actually took it out of my item id suggestion, it was bugging me, and you are right of course.

I don't have the responsibility of the server, so I can just throw ideas out there without worry of breaking the game :)

If there's something interesting in there that sparks inspiration for a good game change, great, if not... whatever!

If there is something I would like to see, it is really a revamp of arms lore to beef up the "pure warrior" in a reasonably realistic way, providing synergy with other warrior-related skills.