What are the actual odds that dexxers will ever be useful in PvP?

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by TreeHugger, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'm not worried about it, I just see both sides of the fucking coin, dolt, lol.

I said this a long ass time ago too but whatever. Basically the field won't be hot for dexxers until peak weaponry is commonplace like peak supplies for every other template have been since the beginning.

I mean sure, go ahead and gimp all leather armor and see if I give a shit. The fact of the matter is that eventually it would be imbalanced, again.

Another nice way to put it would be "If valorite hammers were as common as top tier mask dyes (or as easy to obtain), this would be a non-issue".
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  3. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

That's actually not too bad of an idea. It's much better than everyone running around with a seemingly endless supply of cheap barbed armor that's damn near the equivalent to invul leather armor.
    One likes this.
  4. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Moot point
  5. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Well that's embarrassing.
  6. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Technically a 1V1V1 and I ran crooks out of cures before he called in for help, kudos for not recalling and using magery to cure - lasted much longer than I'd like to admit while relying on arch cure. Agapite war fork with the monster 37pt hit.
    Was a good fight. Dexxers have their place in PvP. Dexxers are getting a little bit of a tweak come this next patch and I think they'll be much more viable after the patch. Hopefully we'll see more dexxers out there daily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ElleFeyRa likes this.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

18-20kish give or take how much you either spend on a hammer or to burn a charge. I faction blessed mine, so it's not a loss if I die. Without faction bless I would use gold runics and they go for like 7-8k.
    One likes this.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

he deserves the opposite of kudos for this

you ran him out of supplies and he stayed around until he died when he could have left at any time to resupply

and based on this you say dexers have a place in pvp

well, perhaps their niche is in winning against the self defeating

some people are bad enough that you can beat them on any template, i used to bring in my own dexers and bards to beat this guy because he had learned to recall from my pvp characters. It's not really a good benchmark to prove your point.

I agree completely that dexers deserve some kind of development attention. To say that they are already good is empirically and scientifically untrue.
  10. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

We get it, Mes. I have to kill you with a dexxer for them to be worthwhile (and I have). The 2nd guy to come in was full stock, so was crook's alt. I believe he only stuck around with 0 cures because he was waiting for help, but who knows.
    Dexxers are going to see around a 10% increase in weapon damage come the next patch.
  11. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

You know even a broke clock is right twice a day but I don't think it does anyone any good to try so desperately to pove your point with some outlier screenshots. It's not like we can't counter-post a greater volume of screenshots of mages killing dexers or point to the data collected by the website.

The awkward part is we both agree that dexers could use some assistance if they are going to be competitive in pvp.

'We get it, Cynic.' You think dexers are real neat and you've produced a tiny amount of screenshots in your four years here to masturbate to. Maybe you should be posting them in top shots or some other killshot thread because they aren't actually useful to this discussion without a comparison to the results the meta templates produced.

Afterall, what is even your agenda (other than masturbation)? If dexers are so strong why are you advocating to improve them?
  12. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

When dexxer PvP gear is as cheap and easy to replace as a mages.... on that day I GO FULL PVP
    One likes this.
  13. Bayara

Bayara Well-Known Member

this gets dangerous and leads into what I will say below.

this is the first I have heard of it and is NOT a great idea.
    this was the precursor to the great armor crisis that overtook the pay shards.
    it started with different leather types like we have here...
    then progressed to runic leather...
    then turned into imbuing.
    for those of you unfamiliar with imbuing, it is where you get to make armor that does whatever you want it to do.
    it also means you needed a spreadsheet and calculator to simply gear your character.

we should keep gearing our characters as SIMPLE as possible.
    one of the reasons people loved the pre-pub16 era was because you just grabbed a GM weapon and some leathers and went at it.
    as it is we all have our street suit, CTF suit, Instance PvM suit.
    let's not get more complicated than that.

Edit: i am a big proponent of changing the way skills and spells work before changing the way items function.
    Most of the time the later is done just to compensate for the prior.
    Is there anything we can do to the resist skill?
    As it stands, it is a necessity for real pvp (not talking about killing ocllo newbs) but the bonus from it is quite lackluster.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    One and Mes like this.
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Ideally a GM weapon and a handful of regs/potions/bandages should be all that is needed to pvp or pve with in UO.
    One and Bayara like this.
  15. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

That will never happen as long as you have 30 AR suits of barbed leather armor available on demand. The way armor absorbs damage here is ludicrous. I stand by the fact that a very good dexxer can beat any mage, but that is VERY few and far between. After playing around with it, playing a dexxer is a waste of time. And yes, I will fully accept that I vehemently vouched against this. But I don't have an issue admitting when I'm wrong. As it stands, a good dexxer basically has to wait for a mage to run out of supplies to win, and that usually just results in an easy recall. When you have vanq and runic weapons that can hit for 4 dmg, or you wiff 8x in a row only to land <10 dmg on the next two, and then wiff another 6x in a row, it's retarded. I've said it before and I'll say it again, dragon armor needs to go. Force people to use either gm leather while actually putting value back into demand of magic armor, or nothing will change. The only weapon I fear right now is a gm val weapon, and I don't find it particularly balanced that someone has to spend almost 1 mil for a viable weapon they could lose in one sync drop. I ran around with my dexxer for a few fights, and what I noted was a mage simply has to run around in circles avoiding hits while they regen mana, and when you actually do swing, if you don't miss 10x in a row (which seems to happen often), the chance of doing adequate damage is laughable, much less landing consecutive shots that are even remotely threatening. The only weapon that has a chance of being competitive is a spear, and that's hoping you land a couple big dmg para blows.
    Mes and One like this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yup, like I said, top tier weaponry for top tier gear. I've had those same fights before where it's a battle of supply attrition then it's stun-punch/recall.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

18. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

No Armor for Mages !! If it aint cloth, they should NOT be wearing it...
    One likes this.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Wrong era hombre.
    LanDarr and One like this.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member