What is the point of UO?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by The Faker, Sep 13, 2016.

1. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

This makes me absolutely so happy, thank you for this story. I played with my grandmother and Uncle; My uncle was stationed in Japan via Marine Corps and got my grandmother into the game. I would sit and watch her for hours, and as I got a little older it started off with just one character on her account; I'd wake her up early on to log me into her account so I could get a few hours in before she woke up and played.

She got cancer and got really sick, still so long ago holy crap; but she passed away and I think Ultima just gives me such great memories of being a child; with someone that I was so close with; but still too young to remember perfectly.

My uncle played as Bakka on Pacific [K^M] Keepers of Maddox
    My grandmother played as Eslo [K^M]
    I played as Sir Brian, then a million other names when I finally got my own account.

Much love, RIP Grannie :)

Lately I just play for friends, you know who you filthy freaks are. Love you guys
    One, Pill, Valrick and 6 others like this.
  2. The Faker

The Faker Member

Well I guess I could share.

I have a lot of not so great memories of the friends I played with who introduced me to ultima betraying me because they moved on and made new friends so I feel sort of betrayed by them however I remember my dad was not rich after he divorced my mom and I moved into a neighborhood where it was rich and my family was the poor family and i spent many hours at my friends house playing uo they werent that kind to me then again they werent that kind to themselves uo was really additcting though and i cared about my friends tremendously and still do even after all of these years. In my jnior year in high school I moved to live with my dad who has now passed RIP and I remember telling him about how I was doing real well in UO and I remember him being really proud of me. He was a carpenter and lived in a bedroom in his workshop with a shower no kitchen only one bed and we shared it and I remember him being fast asleep and snoring so loud like the sound that a happy man makes as i put my pc that he proudly bought me at the end of the bed away from his head and I would play uo all through the night. It was a close bonding experience I will always remember. I only lived with my dad for 1 semester because my grades were so bad and he also got us a two bedroom apartment to share even though my dad despised apartments. He did it for me. Everything he did was for us children. I will always remember that as my first computer and have good memories. I've just not played with anyone irl for years and years and it's super tough that way.

after reading Jim's post I can see ultima as an enpowering thing vs the way i was looking at it which iss really discouraging.

and I had the greatest thought come to me the other day before I even started playing UO like I had quit for about 10 years and the thing that came to me was that nothing was actually wrong, I was just looking at it wrong.
    newme and [Qi] like this.
  3. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

4. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I always found UO to be the most healthy way to live out my self destructive tendencies...

Demolishing houses, intentionally dropping offensive spells on myself in a fight, trash barreling millions, and throwing valuable items out the car (horse?) window at 100+MPH.... all oddly satisfying.

So I guess... escape from reality was always the selling point for me.

Psychotic breaks are much less entertaining irl, am I right?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Valrick, newme, BlackEye and 7 others like this.
  5. Everlast

Everlast Well-Known Member

Why do I ............... "play" video games?!?!

Why not ask why I breathe?!?!
    newme and The Faker like this.
  6. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

YES PLEASE.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    wylwrk and The Faker like this.
  7. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

To crush your enemies. To see them driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of the women.
    One, The Faker and Evil Dead like this.
  8. the finest

the finest Member

Here's a little story on how I became addicted to UO forever and ever.

Growing up I would always enjoy watching my brother play video games, whether it be pokemon or any game! I would always to play it with him! honestly I enjoyed watching him play more then playing them games myself, I would spend hours just watching him play games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Pokemon, UO our Super Nintendo, N64, Sega etc.

My brother GOT me HOOKED onto UO, he is about 8 years older then me. I was seriously 5 years old watching my older bother (13) play UO and would constantly ask him questions until one day he made me an account. I would spend my days at the bank talking to random people ( not even playing really ) yes I was 5 years old typing with my two index fingers trying to find the keys to press LOL. I would stay at brit bank talking to anybody and even use y imagination to role play quite often offering to be a slave to do chores as that was what my brother told me I was going to do for him. Eventually my brother taught me how to tame animals, so I would spend the entire day while my brother was at school playing taming horses and mounts and gating them back to brit to sell for 400gp each.

I distinctively remember one day playing while my brother was at school a player was quitting the game and he bought one of my horses for 100k!!! I was so excited I couldn't wait till my brother got home. While I was waiting for my brother I saw a player selling a small tower for 100k, I couldn't believe my luck I was about to own a small tower for MYSELF while my brother was stuck sharing a small tower with his 2 friends from school, I was about to be the cool guy and my brother was going to be jealous of me. So I ended up buying the house and was sooooo excited, after purchasing the house I realized I had nothing on me because my brother taught me not to follow people with items in my bag so I used help stuck to get back to brit..... That's when I realized I made a HUGE MISTAKE I had NO RUNE to the small tower. I was so devastated and I had no idea where the house was. My brother got home from school that day and I tried to explain the story to him but he didn't believe me and though I was messing with him, I will forever remember this moment.

To this day I still play UO idk why but something about it is so addicting and unique compared to any other MMO I can't enjoy them, my brother long quit but I always kept playing 5 year old veteran UO player.
    One, Pill, Valrick and 6 others like this.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

This is how I got started playing UO...

Eldstorm, the finest, Valrick and 4 others like this.
  10. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

That was a great story @[Qi]..