What's the action like here?

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by xXx, Aug 31, 2015.

1. xXx

xXx Active Member

Somebody give me the rundown of the pvp scene on this server please ;-) I understand the pvp systems on the shard, and all of the basics. I am looking for some old pro to give me an idea how much action there is, and what it is centered on. I mean world pvp, not CTF and things of that nature. PvP events rock, and I love them, but I am curious about the day to day general action level. Questions like: When do oranges and whatnot get online? Lots of faction fighting? Lots of Red/Blue? Lots of anything? Mediocre? Tons of action? Dead? Timezones with active pvp?

Ty people.
  2. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

3. xXx

xXx Active Member

Is that video the norm, or something special?
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

To be honest with you, I see a fight this big about once a week.

8/21
    [​IMG]

There are definitely pvpers here that are active and already organized into groups. Enough that every night of the week there are 3 sides with 6-10 people on. But they don't go duke it out every night unfortunately.
  5. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

Minax is coming baby, its about to get crazy up in hurrrr
    Mindless and Punt like this.
  6. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Pvp is all right. You're more likely to get good action out of duels and order chaos or pking. I wish I could say factions but there is way too much trolling in factions. In fact 99.99% of everything faction related is complete troll. But I did see a few order chaos last night!

Just being honest don't get too excited to faction only to get completely trolled
    Animal Control and xXx like this.
  7. xXx

xXx Active Member

I see there are no name restrictions? So people can pvp with the exact same name? Is target closest in here?

A big fight like that once a week is pretty solid action though, thanks for the responses folks.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

yes to both
    xXx likes this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Staff won't allow you to use name change deeds to make like-names anymore, because they realized it's something suited for lames only. That said, if you have a name that is the same as any of the groups of lames who do this, you get a free name change on request. I once started down that path and the lameness finally was too much to stand.

You can still build characters with the same name from scratch, just no renaming to common names.
    xXx likes this.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

If people weren't named the same thing they'd be named liillililiiil or oiiooiioiooiio or pfpfpfpfppfpfp

People just need to learn to fight without tunneling on one target called by name over voice. Everyone has had to deal with same name targets and the players with balls didn't spend their time crying about it and threatening to quit.

Learn to stay together and drop on nearest at the right time. Learn to recognize a stunned or overextended player and capitalize on it without a call. This mentality where you lose a fight and threaten to quit constantly is ridiculous and eventually staff will get tired of it and stop catering to these types of players.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If they weren't named the same thing....you really think everyone would come up with names that silly? It was previously rare to see random text garbled names here or most any shard I was playing.

Calling targets in voice is a huge part of the 2,1 derp. Whether it's names, clothes, mounts, nearest etc, it's all part of the game. The like-names is just lame. Always has been, even when those who do it most now are the same ones who said the same thing about the Mona Lisas back in the day.
  12. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Says the guy who tried to make a team all named "The Gold Sync"
  13. napo

napo Well-Known Member

It's an excuse.

One of the reasons I'm so dismissive of any attempts to get us to change them is that I know that you guys would just fall back to the next thing to whine about if we did it.
    Guards, zerging (when we don't), how we're grimy
    the list of excuses never ends.

There's no point in giving it the time of day, because nothing will change no matter how many concessions we made. Even when TB came to life (not the last time, the time before that) we made every concession we could and people just whined that we were farming them for kills even though we were doing our best to enable them for success.

We don't get tripped up by characters named on me or the gold sync, so nut up and adapt to it.
  14. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

I think this thread does an OUTSTANDING job of painting a picture of the faction pvp scene here.

The Musician and PaddyOBrien like this.
  15. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

xXx I'd say 9pm - 1am EST is when I see the most pvp action. There are shard run 1v1 and 2v2 mostly everything goes type but it changes I believe. We had Friday fight nights run by Vlar which I'd like to see again. Mostly impromptu field fights and skirmishes. IRC to get duels or post in forums. There are four duel arenas with a rank system spread over the world (accessible via a special grey moongate with a gump to choose between four duel arenas that also tells you if one of them is occupied), with a main CTF lobby area (shard run 1v1/2v2) four separate adjacent arenas only accessible during the posted schedule for events via a green moongate you have to click on to enter. Some get worked up over crap if their sensitive but really it's tame on UOR.

Getting off track here (sorry X) but I think CoM is done with same name deal but, I don't speak for anyone but myself. I don't know when or if all of us will change our names. Like Blaise mentioned the lameness has become really obvious to some of us and we don't want newer pvpers to see two groups running around with same ride, name, clothes. Originally it was to add some difficulty (yes following suit) to SL picking our caller (or other targets) out even though his title usually gave him away. There is an easy way around all of this anyways which I won't go into here. As you can see group forum pvp happens 3v1 (Kane, Napo, Mes of SL) but that doesn't really bother me shows how tight their group is... I'm sure Mes doesn't mind having a few sidekicks.
    Theodin likes this.
  16. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

So much action here son, it spills over into IRC and the forums!
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Kane, we did eventually start to follow suit with like-names but it was obviously lame and we didn't really care enough to keep at it. You know what I complain about napo and it is always abuse of mechanics, bug exploitation or poor sportsmanship. Like-names and 'zerging' or outweighing the competition with numbers, to be more verbose, are two annoyances that absolutely don't fall into any category remotely close to 'doing our best to enable them for success'.
    I recall early on after leaving SL and going TB when I finally got a small force together and we were trying to get our chops warmed up, in communication with your group, only to get swarmed and drylooted and called bad....for trying.

Thanks for being such an enabler. No one is really getting 'tripped up' by the like-names, it just looks lame and removes accountability for actions. If that makes you happy, I'm glad you're enjoying it. FYI: My opinion of like names applies to everyone who uses them. SL, CoM, the ililililiilis and me, until I washed my hands of it, all fucking lames for like names. Enjoy. ;)
    Theodin likes this.
  18. Theodin

It's a big issue because all factions have made it their life mission to troll each other so honestly nearly all people I've talked to don't like it but do it to annoy enemy sides. Legit if you ask me I'm just waiting for factions to to die so a hard reset can go down or hopefully chaos order get going. Tamers guards traps same name bullshit is understandable why 5 people ask what factions are like and are never seen again. But no one wants to do anything about it and 'hope the other side stops doing it first'
    W/e I hope they all troll each other off the server I just hope one day it eventually stops
    Animal Control likes this.
  19. Theodin

And just so you're not brutally surprised by the level of trolling if you ever faction, people talk about factions a lot more than they play them. Don't be surprised if in a month all you see is a 2v4 same name 20 second fight... don't let all this blabbing fool you when's something is done for its best to admit it and try to change it
    Animal Control likes this.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Well, quite frankly Theo, I think a great deal needs to be adjusted in factions to suit more appropriate game play. Specific things that Telamon will have to patch in when he decides to give a shit about PvP/Factions.

Restrictions on Faction Guard placement speed, locations and ideally a homing ability that makes them flock to the sigil monoliths to guard them. (ie: no guards in/around bases as it is imbalanced being that only CoM and TB can do so)

Reduced corruption timers: 6+ hours is a major reason why folks don't bother with sigils, aside from lack of incentive to do so.

Point Atrophy and Skill/Activity requirements: Kill points absolutely need to atrophy and players without appropriate skill points should not be able to join or stay in a faction. I'd go so far as to say any character not willing to touch their faction stone, within three months, should be dropped.

That's just a few things I think need to get attention but there are some more. There will always be contention and discourse around why or if any of that should change but it is what it is
    Artex likes this.