When Mind Blast will be fixed?

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by dennozz, Aug 2, 2017.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. One

One Well-Known Member

3. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I didn’t play much in era. I’m not sure, but I don’t think it did. @Pax Romain would know.
    One likes this.
  4. La croix

La croix New Member

it just sounds like your crying about something because you can't hack it thats all. its not OP just fix your stats
  5. Mandevu

What? I’m not the one bitching about it. I’m the one who said it’s not hard with balanced stats, but the top damage could be scaled a little. I also suggested it’s easily negated in the field by drinking a dex pot if you’re a mage.

You fucking moron.
  6. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member

Less average damage than an axe.
    Axe.
  7. Mandevu

Okay, let’s say you are running 90 str, 80 dex, 55 int. You drink a str/dex pot. Now you’re at 110 str, 100 dex, 55 int. Let’s also say you open up with a concussion blow on a mage. Now I’m at 75 mana. Here’s what happens.

I cast cunning, so now I’m at 86 int, drink a str pot and let my bandaid start ticking while I weave around letting my mana get close to the sub 80s while my bandage heals, drink a heal pot if you manage to get a swing off, and maybe a mini heal. When I’m ready to attack I pop reactive armor. While RA is active I cannot be disrupted if you hit me. So I feeble mind you and now your highest stat is str at 110, and lowest stat is int at 44. 110-44=66. 66/2=33. So let’s say I attack with 80 mana. I can mindblast, explo pot, mindblast you for the cost of 30 mana, 33 damage per mindblast, and 15-20 dmg pot, totalling a minimum of 81 damage in a few seconds. Then I stun you for 4 seconds, and mindblast pot mindblast you again for another ~81 damage totaling ~160 damage, and I still have over 20 mana left for another spell. I can pull all of that off in under 9 seconds, the time it takes for your bandage to tick. Meanwhile, during all of that you might get 3-4 swings off on me, and if you do land a hit, which you only have a 50% chance of actually landing, it would take at least two hits to remove my RA, which means I have a very good chance of pulling the entire combo off completely undisrupted.

The thing is, if the combo fails, all I do is weave around avoiding hits while staying on screen allowing my bandage to heal me if I do take any hits, allowing my mana to passively regen until I’m ready to try again. And this isn’t some hypothetical scenario, I’ve done this exact thing more times than I can count against lumberjacks, nox dexxers, etc., and the damage is simply overwhelming. The only way they survive is by either timing their bandages properly, or using gheal wands, of which I just wait until their charges burn out. And there are simple ways to Time a combo so that a dexxer cannot start a bandage until AFTER I start my combo.

The point is, 90/80/55 is pretty damn balanced, although you could sacrifice even more dex, but I think that’s the point of this thread. In order to really negate how strong mindblast is a dexxer really has to sacrifice a lot of their stats which make them what they are, simply to combat a single 5th circle spell. At 90/80/55 I can still jack out 33 damage 5th circle spells that are faster, and cost less mana than standard “big spells.” Considering I play a pure mage 99% of the time, I can fight the absolute strongest of dexxer templates, even with balanced stats, and have a significant advantage.

It’s not “bitching” it’s simply illogical, and the ones that can’t “hack it” are the ones I’ve trampled over using mindblast.
    Eugen, Althorn, One and 1 other person like this.
  8. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I believe you. So by your own admission, why hasn't something been done to help dexxers? You just admitted that mages have a significant advantage, so my question is, why?
    You don't think making things more balanced will have a positive effect on the player base? You said chris wanted to be very careful about making pvp changes to not affect the player base in a negative way, well an unbalance pvp system does exactly that. No?
  9. Cheapsuit

@Mandevu, Let me ask you an honest question, this is just between you and me... Do you think dexxers need looking at?
    Not suggesting any drastic changes, but just taking a look.

Edit: in order to get something close to perfect, it requires you to make tweaks here and there, until you find that balance. if one tweak doesn't seem positive, you simply untweak and start again. Pub 16 was as balanced as I've ever seen the game. Also as much diversity as I've ever seen.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  10. Mandevu

Not between me and you, but between me and anyone, yes I think there needs to be a rebalance.
    One likes this.
  11. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Yes you can, Reactive Armor doesn't protect against interruption, it simply mitigates all melee damage received down to 1 until the spell is broken. The only way to avoid interruption is by using protection. (Unless something was changed since last I played)
  12. Mandevu

False. While RA is up, if you are hit, and the RA is active, you cannot be disrupted. This is fact. I use it to this day while fighting mages, or dexxers, and as long as RA is active, it is impossible to disrupt me. That may not be how it is intended to work, but that is absolutely how it works.
    Hadrian likes this.
  13. Mandevu

The reason it works this way is because if any melee damage does not do any damage, it will not disrupt, and as a result, RA disallows any damage which means you can't be disrupted while active.
  14. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Zero damage bug still exists? Lol :confused:
  15. Mandevu

Yes. Even with zero armor, you can land a punch, and it will do zero damage, and they still get the spell off.
  16. Cheapsuit

Another dexxer disadvantage, who knew!
  17. Cheapsuit

So tell me again how pvp choices are made very carefully to protect the playerbase, and to not hurt the growth and development of the server.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

Cheapsuit likes this.
  19. xElvoretx

xElvoretx New Member

Wands in general:
    Current varieties:
    Post Age of Shadows Magic Wands come in 6 varieties.
    Wand of Harming.
    Wand of Healing.
    Wand of Magic Arrow.
    Wand of Greater Healing.
    Wand of Fireball.
    Wand of Lightning.
    All of these wands will come with a varying number of charges from 0 to 80+.
    Pre-AoS varieties:
    Prior to Age of Shadows, Gnarled Staves also came with spell casting, and both wands and Gnarled Staves had the additional spells listed:
    Gnarled Staff or Wand of Paralyze.
    Gnarled Staff or Wand of Clumsy.
    Gnarled Staff or Wand of Feeblemind.
    Gnarled Staff or Wand of Weakness.
    Gnarled Staff or Wand of Mana Draining.
    Gnarled Staff or Wand of Item Identification.
    All of these types may still exist in the game and may be considered collectors items by some since they do not spawn anymore.
    The identification wands have no use since all items in the game no longer require identification before you know the properties.
    Prior to the resist changes and the paralyze wands being dropped with AoS, a paralyze wand was a very powerful and underused tool for group PvP.

from uo stratics. http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/magicwands.shtml

i personally dont think i played during AoS and i definitely remember gnarled staves having magic spells
  20. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

In reference to the above posts, reactive armor reflects damage back to the attacker, so it not only absorbs the incoming damage, but also keeps spells from being interrupted.
  21. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023