Why do we have the current housing system?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Spooner, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering why we have the current housing system vs the one where you have more secures and items in a locked down chest are actually locked down?
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, that would make things that don't lock down decay.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

That's what I remember during UOR. If you forgot to lock something down in your house, it decayed.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

OMG TRAMMIE!!!!!
    lol

I'd have to agree that this system is closer to perfection than having more secures and things decay, in my opinion.

ps: house deeds still decay hella fast in houses
  6. Atraxi

Atraxi Member

I wish body parts decayed. I've got 2 of my bodies just sitting in the "under construction" room of the C^V guild hall that i'm just too lazy to pick up. someone even went and rearranged the parts to where my arms are legs.
  7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

The house mechanics added during the progression of UOR were done in that manner to address the server load at the time. By turning on item decay in houses and adding trammel they had to increase the amount of storage a player had.

Since these limitations do not apply to us, and we are not adding a 2nd facet that would open the possibility for 2x the house item storage we chose the system as it was for the addition of Publish 1.

Players can however expand their houses with more lockdowns and secure containers via the platinum system.

This is a known issue and is on the fix list. However this is the same reason house deeds do not decay instantly when left in a house.
  8. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Hi,

as an early OSI vet new to this shard I have to say I don't like the current housing system.
    Maybe it's the fact I can only afford a tiny house so far but house handling is made so much more complicated with the VERY old mechanics.
    When I was playing on OSI shards, the Renaissance Housing System was a huge improvement to me.
    All this door locking and the key hassle is just a waste of time and a major inconvenience.
    Plus, small size houses just don't have enough space for a proper table wall - that sucks for new players much more than for castle-vets.
    I would mind a lot less if I had room to spare for an entry hall with a well decorated table wall.
    But for now - I have a tiny crap house I barely used because I feel like someone will raid it as soon as I drop a couple of thousand regs in there.

What's the benefit adding home invasion risk to the game ? Is that an encouraged play style ?
    Sure, I know the world's a harsh place but aren't PKs and thieves enough to worry about ?
    If I wanted to use my house properly and make it a home, bring most of my stuff there to get independent from banks, a proper home raid would probably be enough to get me off of this shard to good. There's just too much time invested in colored ingots, boards, badages, regs and gold. The risk of being PKed or stolen from sets you back a couple of hours at most but having your house robbed could cost you weeks. Tons of people are camping at banks because that's the only safe place to store bulk material. But that just looks silly. Brit bank is like a zombie movie ... tons of people but all mindless macro zombies ...

With safer houses those people would probably macro in their homes and stop hanging out at banks.

I did like the way OSI-Renaissance houses felt and handled. They were a safe place - at least for your belongings. You could be killed there - fine, but you can't be looted or invaded.

Just my opinion - maybe I'm not the only one.
  9. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're not the only one; but I'm also sure those of this mindset are in the minority.

I prefer this system; I don't think that 4 walls should automatically = safe. Complacency is a killer in games like this; and thats where most of the whining related to Trammel tended to originate. After the introduction of Trammel, people became more complacent with how to get things from place to place, with security, with travel -- which led to many more scams on people who are not vigilant with their actions.

Seeing as the element of danger is not going to be reduced or diluted here via a Trammel system, this simply forces adaptation and reduces that complacency. You're forced to think about home security, and protecting your valuables. This in turn will make you more cautious in how you handle your dealings on the shard in general.

I'm sure a large majority of this shard will agree with me that 100% safe housing is simply too much Trammel for this shard.
  10. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

There's a five part guide on how to make your house safe.

So with a little bit of knowledge, time and gold, you can make your house trammie safe.

The difference between OSI Renaissance house style and the current style is that new players have a MUCH harder time getting used to it and the current system is much more complicated and inconvenient. I'm sure all vets have some macros they fire every time they enter and leave their home just to play by the rules of the current housing system. That does not benefit the game at all.

Plus getting your house robbed because you weren't aware of some bug or trick or loop hole will ruin the game for some.
    Theft protection and PK protection is something you can read through in a few minutes.
    But getting into house security is quite a big deal - especially since you depend on UO:R forums and guides which is a very limited resource.

In which way does the current housing system benefit game play over the OSI renaissance system ?

Are there many house raiders on this shard that would loose their income ?
    Would the "wooden table" market collapse ?
    Would we all act trammie all of the sudden ?

I don't think so ... we'd just get rid of a big inconvenience.

I've gotten over it that any good pre-AOS shard does have felucca ruleset - that's okay. Getting pked or robbed is a risk you can calculate. You're present and it's your fault.
    But getting your house robbed will happen when your away an the reason is because you left a gap in some wall or there is a place someone could teleport to ...
  11. corruption

I personally don't use a house entry macro. I find them to be unreliable. I come to my door, detect hidden, unlock, open door, lock, step in, close the door, then detect hidden again. Manually, every time.

Its less about what it benefits the server, and more about setting expectations and avoiding complacency. If we make a house a 100% safe zone (essentially, your own private Trammel) -- whats to stop the demands to begin for eliminating other things towards a more Trammel-like environment? Its a slippery slope, and one that the decision has already been made for.

As far as your worry about teleport -- you cannot teleport in a house, period. Its not a targetable location for teleport. This concern is null and void.

House security is really not as complex as its made out to be. If you don't want to have to worry about it, sure, you can set up table barricades that will, assuming your proper use of them, prevent any chance of home invasion. Personally, I think they're ugly, and I just be sure to check for intruders before and after opening my door, every single time, without fail. I've yet to have my house looted.
  12. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Take a look at the young player program and tell me about trammie slope ...

And as I mentioned, larger houses with proper setup can be considered safe & trammie.
    The current housing system is just making a core part of UO much too complex.
  13. corruption

The young player program is an introduction system, and you cannot stay in it forever. Considering the number of young (think 8 to 13 years old) players that have joined recently, I consider that system to be a boon -- and your comparison of it to Trammel-like housing to be a needless strawman comparison. One does not necessitate the inclusion of the other, nor are they related in any way, shape or form.
  14. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm mostly indifferent to the super trammel housing option versus the current system discussion, but I will say that plenty of vets have had their houses raided in the past here. Forgetting to lock their doors after entering, forgetting to detect hidden, being careless with CY runes or housekeys, etc., etc...

Anyone can slip up (and they have), not just noobs.
  15. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Anyone can, but mostly new players do.

I know vets tend to enjoy the "risky" housing system such as it exists here, but objectively I would bet it does hurt the playerbase in terms of numbers, to some degree.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the locked down keyring on the doors is a bit too Trammel, but it works.
    I'm not sure what the problem is other than being new/broke. When I got back into this game on another shard, I had to relearn a lot. House security was one of the first things I did.
    A 7x7 has plenty of room for the essentials. 5 tile table wall with a stack of chests at the back. Don't release a table until the door is closed and locked and you've done Detect Hidden.

I'm not sure what the downside is there aside from the decorative limits you mentioned in your first post Wodan. I didn't read your other responses because the first one was so chocked full of Trammel I felt I could formulate a response.

If you can't do nice deco with your simple table wall in your 7x7, there is a simple solution. Make more gold, get a bigger house. This isn't OSI and the lands aren't slammed full of castles. For what it's worth, I keep the vast majority of my rares behind two locked doors and a table wall. House security is simple and making it any safer is the kind of thing that would make me and others upset/quit.

Taking the diligence to be secure is all on the player and is entirely possible. There is actually no risk at all if you are attentive to your home security.

Much like RL, if you remember to lock your door, a home invasion is much less likely.

PLEASE NO TRAMMEL HOUSING!!!
  17. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

The program is still young and Occlo is very busy compared to the rest of the Land.

It's naive to believe this program is actually used by new players to learn the game.
    Sure, there will be some ... but I could imagine Occlo will also become vendor-house heaven.
    Get a [Young] character and let him do the shopping. No risk of getting robbed with expensive shopping, no risk of stealing.
    Sure there are some prime locations at the Yew bank for pretty safe shopping but nothing compares to a Young shopping mule on Occlo.

And don't take the young player program as an argument. My arguments are:

- current housing system is very complex for new players to learn and understand
    - the effects of getting your house robbed are potentially so much worse than normal griefing/pking/stealing
    - no one came up with any benefits of the current housing system while it does come with plenty of inconveniences I mentioned earlier
    - currently, houses can be made just as trammie as I would like them to be. it's just a lot more effort and risk and the safety measurements really take up much space and generally look awful. even if anyone likes table walls behind the entry door - it's still a design forced upon us an restricts house decoration.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There are restrictions in place to prevent abuse of the New Player Program. Old accounts don't even have the option and once you hit a time-cap, you're bumped out. It is by no means an avenue for abuse. The population on Occlo is truly new players and when their play time runs out, they're done and gone.

UO is complex and if you haven't asked the questions, or done the research, you will get burned. That is the nature of a Feluccian world that most of us have come to love and still do after 15 years.

House robbery is a form of grief but is also part of the beauty of a Feluccian realm. Yeah it blows, but it is very easy to avoid if you learn what to do. If you jump into a game and think you have it all figured out, especially one as complex as UO, you are sorely mistaken. 15 years later and I'm still learning things about the game. I've saved people millions by helping them with home security, instead of robbing them blind as I could have. If you don't think to ask for help and you get burned as a result, that is your own naivety biting you.

The benefits of the current housing system is that I don't feel like I'm stepping into Trammel as soon as I hit my steps. I feel like, as with nearly everything else in the game, if I'm not prepared, I am at risk of serious loss. The only real preparation you need here is information and hardly anything in terms of items (tables). I don't use house macros other than the typical house commands on hotkeys.

There are a ton of things in the game world that block movement if you want more options for decoration. You know you can drop a footstool and raise it 3z and put practically anything decorative on top of it? I'm not sure what you want here but quite frankly, I don't have a table wall in my RL house and if someone forcibly entered, they've got free reign to loot. I'd be more inclined to suggest that players be able to axe locked down items in other player's homes, rather than impose some sort of automated Trammel on the interior to suit the unprepared or uninformed.
  19. corruption

No.

Simply because YOU don't like the way it is, does not mean that I listed no benefits; quite the contrary, I have made several posts full of valid explanations. You may not think that they are, but this ruleset was chosen for a reason, and that reason is NOT invalid simply because you disagree with it.
  20. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

I'm just giving some feedback after having recently joined this shard. And I'm happy to have started a discussion about the subject. Seems some veteran players are indeed very attached to the current system.

I did quite some research on different pre-AOS Freeshards an found this one to be the most appealing.
    Maybe I should have taken the housing system into consideration when I chose a shard ... wasn't even aware that this system is still appreciated anywhere.