Why UO:R?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Titanious, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

As I menetioned earlier in another thread - I ended up here by misstake more or less and I do not regret it at all, even if I used to use the 3D client that came with Blackthorns Revenge as it was then I started to play UO but I do not miss it really as I used the 2D client for PvP and 3D for PvE. Well I cant login to OSI, not with my old account and not with a new account that I tried to make. I could phone EA support and get it sorted out but why bother??

I heard that the new OSI game is terrrible and I am not sure that I liked what I have seen from it at Youtube really and I also chatted with my old guildmates reasontly and they said that the Europe shard as we knew it with our great RP-community there is now dead and our guild was disbanned only 2 months ago so for me, Europe is dead and OSI is dead. One old mate from England tried a US shard but then you have the time-difference aspect, a majority of players will be doing fun stuff while you have to go to bed so he gave it up. Well this server is in US as well but it has at least 50/50 US/Europeens and some asians so there will always be others to interact with.

The community seems very nice and I am so happy over that some players help newbies like myself, lending their house to you, like they are doing in the Young housing project in Ocllo. I also like what I see Telamon and the staff are doing within the development section of the game. They are doing stuff that I only dreamt about earlier with expansion of the Bod system and also the possibility of repairing broken wooden equipment, which isnt live yet but will soon if I got it all right. I have been here a month now and enjoyed it very much and it is very fun to play this game again. Before I got to UO, I played some Ultima VII 2 month back and that made me hungry for more.
    compsays, Basoosh, Kalvasflam and 2 others like this.
  2. Rheanon

Rheanon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@Pekka Welcome to the Shard and glad you are here. :)
    Pekka likes this.
  3. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Welcome to this shard, Pekka! I am fairly new myself.

Just to clear this up a little bit: I played on OSI (Europa) until 2005/2006 and therefore I do not know what they have implemented since then. But I would like to say, that I really loved playing on OSI even then. Even after Trammel, even after Insurance, even after Artifacts etc. They put a lot of stuff in, which was fun to play with. And some of this stuff I miss here. Of course there were several things - apart from the things mentioned above - that clearly sucked. For example: As I first noticed that item identification was a completely dead and broken skill because every item found was already identified I was very disappointed. As I discovered that probably 95 per cent of the thief population has left that shard because there simply wasn't anything to steal I was even more disappointed.

Yet, people (especially people on freeshards) love to dismiss everything that OSI/EA did after the introduction of Trammel. But not everything was bad. And who knows if the official servers would still be running if OSI/EA hadn't put the changes in (even Trammel).

Its sad to hear, though, that Europa seems to be a dead shard now.

BTW: I am from Europe too. And a fews ago I was also thinking about playing Ultima VII again (played throught that game about 4-5 times, but I have yet to finish Part 2 "Serpent's Isle").
  4. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

Thanks Rheamon

Kalvasflam: Well now that I play UO, I focus at that and will not know when I will complete Ultima VII myself.

I also miss some stuff and I will list them:
    • Tinkered Golems
    • Beatles
    • Boots and shoes while fishing for skinn (Was turned of as so many macrofishes, which is right until skill 100)
    Things I really like is the possibility for fish up a complete pirateship from the deep, which was a big surprice when it did happen to me.

Brit bank is not completely deserted. I see players there every time I pass it, several as well.
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker New Member

Since this is going again I thought I'd throw my 2p in on why here.

I was a Europa player too long ago to really remember the date. I remember sat on a doorstop outside Yew moongate training hiding with my factioner mate. We were out of sight when a naked red came running past us on foot, fleeing from the moongate.
    Shortly afterwards a grey in bright red robes came riding past, spear in hand and following the same path as the red.
    We hung around for a little longer to see the red guy return, on horseback and wearing the red robes of the grey guy.
    You just never see things like that in other games.

Another time we were chilling again at the moongate watching an argument. One of the guys decided enough was enough and commanded their followers to kill. In excess of ten hired archers suddenly appeared and shot his enemy who dropped instantly. We had a good laugh at that!

Finally a moment I'll never ever forget. A guy had arranged his personal horde of sheep into a lovely square formation. He was their general and was giving them a rousing speech about the battle to come. The general was laughed at by a passing mage who declared no matter the size an army of sheep could never prevail in a fight. The general order his army to attack the doubtful mage and they quickly surrounded him.
    Initially the mage laughed whilst dropping the sheep easily with fireballs. Then he ran out of mana.
    He tried to push past but the sheep circled him 3-4 rows deep. They interrupted his spells and, slowly but surely, they dropped him.
    The general rallied his flock and wandered off to more battles.

You can do so much in UO and this Renaissance shard has almost everything I loved about my first years in UO and none of the rubbish (im looking at you, powerscrolls) that made me stop playing.

I'm dead excited to be back and this shard is just what I was looking for.
  6. Rheanon

Rheanon Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I miss gardening. That's the one thing that is missing here for me. Everything else is great.
    Kalvasflam likes this.
  7. Pekka

Pekka Well-Known Member

I did a lot of gardening on Europe and made loads of GP from selling plants at my vendors but I do not really know if I miss it really. I had plants growing everywhere in the house but it was exciting to crossbreed in the beginning.
    Rheanon likes this.
  8. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

Yeah, this would be the thing that I miss most too. Besides gardening I miss things like:

- working tinker traps
    - custom houses
    - beetles / fire steeds / swamp dragons
    - pretty much all the stuff they put in to enhance crafting (glasblowing, runic sewing kits etc.)
    - archery viable
    - chivalry (sth like that, so that theres no need for magery on dexxers to getting around)

But then I notice that this is a Felucca only shard. And I notice that thieves may loot entire houses. And I notice that most players ride normal horses (yes, normal, boring coloured horses) and not those things player ride on other shards (neon cu sidhes etc.) and I think: It's great to be here :)