Windows partition for UOR on a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by Vandalin, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Hi guys
    I've been using the Mac client since I started here. It's mostly very good but there have been several minor issues adding up that make me want to switch over to windows. They are mostly razor issues and how the mac OS seems to run wineskin. I have never installed 3 clients because running 2 gives me problems already.

Has anyone put windows on their mac in order to play UOR? How does this method compare to parallels or one of the virtual PC type deals? My assumption is that I will get the best results doing this.

Lastly, what is the ideal version of windows for playing UOR? I haven't owned a PC in years so am not familiar with anything after Windows XP.

Thanks!
    OptimisticSam likes this.
  2. Vandalin

come on you nerds I know ya got windows!
  3. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

I never bothered with a different partition when I had a MacBook Air, I just used Windows 7 Pro through Parallels. It was much easier to flip back and forth between UO and work while at home at the time.

It has been some years, but I believe Virtual Box worked well also.
  4. Vandalin

Great, I might try that. Last time I used parallels was yeaaaars ago and it was very clunky, but it sounds like things have improved since then. Thanks!!
  5. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

Yeah man, it was pretty nice when I used it a few years ago. Coherence Mode made it appear as though the Windows applications were Mac applications, and it was all very smooth.
    Vandalin likes this.
  6. YarboJanks

YarboJanks New Member

Check out VMware Fusion
    http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion.html
  7. Semaj

Semaj Member

What's your mac's spec? If it's an old one, like mine, I'd recommend using BootCamp. I'm using an old mid-2010 MBP and having no issues multi-clienting with BootCamp. When using OS X it didn't really work.
  8. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member

i dont use vm, bootcamp or any other VM type of windows emulator.

with wineskin you run UO like if it was written for macosx. its just an app

and i run 3 clients and rarely a 4th (test server) all at once without any issues.

[​IMG]

i got the in there
    UO automap (working version)
    most up to date Razor
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    compsays likes this.
  9. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

I used to partition my MacBook pro with windows for all the games I played. Worked very well and I actually had much better frames per second and overall performance in every single game on the Windows side
    Animal Control likes this.
  10. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'm using Windows 10 via Bootcamp (100gb NTFS partition) on my Macbook Pro to run UO.
    The only issue with Bootcamp is that you can't read MacOS files from Windows and can't write Windows files from MacOS without additional software which is paid or unstable (or both).

Another small annoyance is buggy reboot functionality, but you'll be fine if you hold Option during startup to choose OS instead of using Bootcamp's "Restart in OSX" (in Windows) or "Startup disk" (in MacOS).