Wouldst thou flee during the heat of battle...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cynic, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

It seems there may be some confusion with how the heat of battle tag works. In the scenario you've provided above the underlined portion would have no bearing on the situation since heat of battle only applies to the aggressor in a fight not the defender. So in this instance 'Solo Farmer' is free to defend himself & fight back without any restrictions to travel spells (recall & gate).

Player 2 however (the one engaging Solo Farmer) will suffer from the heat of battle flag & is unable to cast any travel spells (can still travel through another player created gate) for 30 seconds. This 30 second timer resets itself every time the aggressor takes a hostile action against the defender(s). The heat of battle expires after 30 seconds from the time of the last aggressive action.
  2. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I was unclear. I used "engage" as it made perfect sense to me, but does not necessarily mean to everyone else the same thing.

When I spoke of engaging the Solo Farmer, I was referring to all those wonderful tactics that players use to grief another player into attacking them. (ie. stealing loot, kills, etc...) Hence, my point of this mechanic punishing the good guy that only sought to defend himself.

Also, the inability to flee should probably be extended to other players gates as this is certainly the age of multi-clienting. Not that I agree with this mechanic at all, but this certainly seems like a large loophole that people can use quite easily. From what I understood, this mechanic was supposed to stop people from gating in a bunch of reds and then gating them out with no repercussions. Perhaps i'm missing something, but isn't this still completely possible?