Yet another Mindblast thread...

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Chill, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This guy went from actual argument to ad hominem awful quick. It seems to me that you just need to allow yourself time to adapt, we have operated this way for over 3 years and there's plenty of top notch pvpers here, I'm sure you can master it if you really focus.
  2. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

The force is strong with this one..
  3. napo

napo Well-Known Member

You should balance the stats of any dueling character appropriately.
    I think it's fairly common sense that if you enjoy 5x, the character should be properly built for it, yes? You need balanced stats as well as wrestling on any character you plan to use 5x.
    Personally, I think you can keep 100 int and just take some out of dex and be fine for 5x. The mindblast damage isn't too bad is you're 84/41/100 or 86/39/100 in my opinion. It hurts, but I don't think it's much more mana efficient than EB would be. If you find yourself getting wasted by it, though, you can just tweak your stats until it's where you like.
    Of course, if you really have a problem with mindblast you can just just discuss the rules with your opponent prior to the fight and agree on no mindblast.

As for the all or nothing statement, I suppose you make a point. I will revise my statement to say that in a world with no mindblast, all rational actors run 100/25/100 on their mages. There may be some irrational ones out there, but those aren't terribly important for the purposes of this discussion since we are talking about what is and isn't effective in the grand scheme of things. I would say that on the whole, people tend to make rational choices more often than not when designing their characters and choosing their loadouts. More power to you if you're a tank mage that uses a katana in pvp, but I think the practice is somewhat questionable. I think it's possibly a good way to deliver DP (though I would suggest a broadsword over a katana) but I think in any setting where DP is allowed, cure pots are also likely allowed and I don't think poisoned weapons are very effective against people with cure pots. I think the most effective applications of tank mages involve getting big and slow weapons and hoping for a big hit to give you a good lead into a combo. This is slightly different for fencing mages, but the principle is the same, as you are waiting for a decent hit/para blow to lead into a combo.
  4. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

If you're using spells above 3rd circle to 5x that's your first problem right there..

Unless you're fighting some joker with unbalanced stats & mindblast just shit slams them for 40 every time, anyone who knows anything about dueling, especially 5x, will very rarely if ever be using anything above 3rd circle for the entirety of the fight...
  5. Chill

Chill New Member

-Players who don't use mindblast or are unaffected are content with it, they don't know better
    -Players who are familiar with it accept that it's a little overpowered

But hey it's just the way it is? If new players don't like it, they can leave? I mean sure, we can "accept" anything the way it already is. What I'm interested in is making things better. There are patches that implement changes all the time. So why is it so hard wrap our minds around the fact that mindblast does in fact do too much damage.

Moving forward without anymore side arguments, let's brainstorm ideas for how we can make this dynamic more enjoyable for the players who deal with it in and out.

My humble suggestion is just take the max/cap damage to 35 as opposed to 40. Scaling would be in order. Current damage x .875( new damage)
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You've been told why...

You just fucking with us now?
  7. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

So if a new player shows up and doesn't like something we should just change it? You say we should wrap our minds around the fact that MB does too much damage, but you can't seem to wrap your head around the fact that you are literally the only person in here arguing to change it. It's the same song and dance on every server. There's always that person who has a hard time adjusting to a certain mechanic, so they want it changed or removed. You talk about it doing too much damage, when the hard truth is that there is a definite defense against it, but it forces you to make a small sacrifice. It's extremely possible to be very effective with Margery without the need for 100 int. It's a little more difficult, a little, but not much. But, you can't handle that, obviously, so you want to comment here, as a new person, and have it changed, despite everyone disagreeing with you.

I'm not saying EVERYONE thinks MB is balanced, but most people here involved in pvp have adapted just find, and apparently we enjoy the added element of being forced to tailor a stat set that works, and discourages a cookie cutter, straight down the middle stat build for everyone.

Man up, son.
    wylwrk likes this.
  8. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Even tamers have to adjust there stats so PKs don't run in and kill them in 2 spells.