A "Young's" Guide to Animal Taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Methuselah, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Choco

Choco Member

I'd like to suggest that instead of running all over Occlo that when you are at 54 taming you switch to the small toads in the sewer.
    Beethoven likes this.
  2. Eugen

Eugen Active Member

I GMed yesterday following this guide. I can definately agree with Choco on changing to the small toads at 54 taming and would advise anyone to just stay at the greater mongbats if you're not too dependent on the money off of the drakes.

If you go for the drake route you can also throw in a spell or two in order to assist the newly spawned drake in killing your tamed one and that way raise your fame/karma levels up to about illustrious while netting around 100k at the same time.

[​IMG]
    Beethoven and Choco like this.
  3. gbus

gbus Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Drake is unable to be tamed.
    Beethoven likes this.
  4. Jaedan

Jaedan New Member

One strategy to get from 50.0 to 59.1, which others have said is the hardest part, is to use herding to get your strength to 100. That's good for at least 2 or 3 points of taming at that level. You can macro that while you wait for more animals to spawn.
    Beethoven likes this.
  5. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

I just tested this, and you are correct Gbus. It seems that developers changed it's scripture and is now considered untamable. It's highly unfortunate that they made the changed but you can still GM from the Greater Mongbat and the Giant Toads. Greater Mongbats are equivalent to taming bulls, and the Giant Toads are even higher.

I'm gonna need a few days to change the Guide.

Thank you Gbus.
    Beethoven likes this.
  6. Rainy

Rainy New Member

Looks like the spawns have changed a bit since this guide was written. The giant spider in the caverns does not appear to spawn anymore and the lich and greater mongbat have been replaced with skeletons and zombies :(

Anyone confirm this?
  7. illbottleya

illbottleya Member

I went down there looking for toads last night with my tamer and saw a greater mongbat in the sewer. He was not near the undead spawn, though.

I cleared the dungeon with my dexxer recently for some easy cash. Didn't see any giant spider come to think of it. Somebody DID tame Smaug as I was entering his island though.

When I was playing my tamer, a giant spider attacked me in the forest even though I was young and in peace mode which caught me way off guard.

Clearly some things changed at one point to stop people from doing this. Not sure what the specifics are though.
    Beethoven likes this.
  8. Rainy

Rainy New Member

Yeah I found the greater mongbat in the sewers, looks like its spawn point has changed and it also agros like the spiders do even for young status players.
    Beethoven likes this.
  9. Bran

Bran New Member

I would like to suggest that after 59.1 when you reach to a minimum skill point to tame "a mongbat" (Normal ones). Go to sewers and stand at this point and make a macro to tame random nearby grey. So by doing this you will automate the progress for how long I don't know but I'm assuming you can get to 70ies AFK. Location below. Enter the sewers from behind the jewelry store. (I'm following this guide and it seems pretty effective and I saw some people doing this at the sewers so I just wanted to share with you guys. Hope it helps.)

Attached Files:

Beethoven likes this.
  10. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Bran, that spot will allow you to AFK to GM on the greater mongbat using the same macro. The ratman will kill them when tamed. The macro can't distinguish between regular and g mongbat, but it takes some time.
  11. Bran

Bran New Member

@Puck I don't have much knowledge about the razor but my macro doesn't try to tame normal mongbats it is just taming the greater ones if i am not mistaken
  12. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

taming by type mongbat targets all of them... unless something has changed @Bran
  13. Bran

Bran New Member

I will check my macro later and let you know i can't remember right now but probably you are right about it
  14. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

Instead of letting [young] players have access to gm taming without any risk, give them gm taming , gm lore, 2 extra bonding slots, no skill loss on pet death, oh yeah, since there is 9999999k free cloth to be picked up, just give them gm vet.This will save them alot of time and effort. There should be a extra template called [young and I want it now] option at char creation. Then we can really say its a fel server.
  15. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Please do tell... what is a naked character macroing on bulls in j'helom or delucia risking exactly?
  16. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

Time and effort , like my post stated. Please read entire post before questions please. (as many times as you need to)

edit added sarcasm
  17. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

It's actually usually much faster to GM off bulls, and that's even if there isn't a line at mongbats, which there has been recently. Mongbats are just totally AFK without macro experience or alts needed.

edited for clarity
  18. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

You are missing my entire point. Please, reread my post, yet again.
  19. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

I will apologize for words that sound mean. Puck, I apologize for my sarcasm towards you. There is too much tram and crying on this server. I believe the reason there is so much crying and looking for the no risk way is because there is too much tram. People who like tram will just keep asking for more tram.

Chris has a beautiful, well thought out server to his liking. I thank him for his time and effort. But it is not for me. Tram killed the game and I cant stand to see it happen again. Have fun. (not sarcasm)
    Beethoven and Puck like this.
  20. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Grinding skills has always been more legwork than actually playing to me. I'll take a shortcut to get to the point where I can actually play if it's available, since I value my time.