Advice for a person who has never played Ultima Online before?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dynaside, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Dynaside

Dynaside New Member

Hey people,

I have played many MMORPG'S, but one that I never played was UO. I decided that I wanted to give this private server a try to see if UO brought back any memories of the good old days of MMOSPG'S. Now, is there any advice for someone who has literally heard nothing about this game other than it was one of the best of its time? I really don't even know if it's a sandboxy type game or more like a themepark. I'm guessing UO is a sandbox game, but any help on anything in starting the game would be awesome!! Thanks
    Jupiter, Savage, Gideon Jura and 4 others like this.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Sandbox game. It's really whatever you make of it. There's something for everyone and every playstyle.

I would suggest you read up on the guides in these forums, they will hold your hand through just about any style of play you're looking for. IRC also helps quite a bit.

Good luck and welcome to the server.
    Gideon Jura and newme like this.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Jupiter, Gideon Jura and newme like this.
  4. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Hey and welcome to UOR! It is certainly rare these days that someone new comes aboard that has never experienced UO and it is awesome to hear!

As has been said the guide section is a great place to look. The most important thing is getting out there and exploring the world! I am envious of your position as it is has been too long since I had that "everything is new and unrecognizable" feel.

I certainly think choosing "young" status for starting out would be great idea for you. This way you can gain your bearings a little easier and start learning fundamental game mechanics.

I am not entirely sure what you are expecting from your experiences in other games but there is much that makes this game quite unforgiving. You will die. You will die almost certainly a lot. You can be murdered by other players if you are outside of town guards. You can have all of your items taken from your corpse after you die. You can also get resurrected and return to your body to recover your things within a certain allotted time. After the allotted time however, your corpse will disappear as well as any items you had on your corpse. Some may not like this aspect. In fact many many many people do not and it was one of the things that led to this wonderful games demise back when. It is the unforgiving nature of this game that has made it the fantastic game that it is.

I hope to see you around and good luck!
    Jupiter, Gideon Jura and newme like this.
  5. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

And join the IRC channels. People are very nice here and always try to help new players.
    newme likes this.
  6. Theodin

Theodin Well-Known Member

Here's my advice... I have every new game that has came out in the last year or two, I have most games prior to those I've bought in the last year or two.
    but I'm still playing uo

If you're the type to run to a graveyard to farm and when you get pkd it makes you want to play more this games for you... if you want achievements and loot wow seems to be a popular choice
    Gideon Jura and newme like this.
  7. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Welcome to UO... you've definitely stumbled upon what many of us believe to be the best game of all time!

As mentioned earlier the possibilities are nearly endless... I've been playing for well over a decade and the laundry list of things I still "want to do" is well... ridiculous.

My advice is to just get out there and adventure... the game can have a bit of a steep learning curve compared the stuff in today's market; but really just getting out there and discovering things can be half the fun. The guide section of this forum is a great place to read up when you're feeling stuck or just curious.

Hope you enjoy it.
  8. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Wow. Agree with everything said above. Welcome to UO.

Here are a few things you can do in this game world. Role Play. True, real role play. We have players here who RP orcs. they dress like orcs and even have their own language. Lot of role play is via text. example: " brushes lock of hair behind pointed ear" Basically, you can role play anything you want to be. Just create a persona for your character and go for it.

Crafting. Tons. And the crafting menus are simple to follow. Lots of gold involved and cool items.

Hunting. Tons of monsters, from the pesky mongbats to the horrid Bosses. You can even hunt other players. From killing ones with evil reputations to the innocent.

Animals: The helpful, loyal pack animals, to rideable ones,to those which help you defeat those difficult monsters.
    How does tamed dragons suit you. :)

Homes. You own your own and can decorate it with in game items. To creating "player towns"

LOL. Think you get the drift, why this world is so addictive and just plain fun.

Welcome aboard. I'm Westra on irc and in game. my main is Marjo

Oh yes. Perhaps the most important feature here. Our staff is fantastic, approachable, completely volunteer their time. Expect nothing in return ( no real life money) except a thanks, once in awhile.
  9. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Rule #1: Don't get too attached to your stuff. Items in UO are nothing like items in so many MMORPGs.
    Jupiter, Basoosh, newme and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Active Member

If Rice pks you, you can always buy your stuff back off his vendor. Great prices!
  11. Laretheo

Laretheo Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Rule # 2 Don't compare this game to any other game out there. This game has more gameplay ability then any other game out there. if you want to create a character and get tired of the template you made you don't have to keep it. you can drop the skills and make a new template outta same character. Many people make different templates to be more versatile when choosing things to do.

in some ways this game is hardmode to other mmo's out there in my opinion. that being said we have multiple guides and experienced players that will be able to help in what ever you want to do in this game.

goodluck and hope you find this game just as enjoyable as the rest of us.
    newme and Gideon Jura like this.
  12. Ducky

Ducky Well-Known Member

This.

Forget all of those other games, there may be aspects that seem similar, but be assured they are not.

-This game is about being skilled, not raising skills.

-UO is ultimate freedom, for better or for worse.

-You wont find a housing system like UO has on any other game.

-The key thing to keep in mind, and has been mentioned already, is you can die! Not "start again?" die or "become alive at some location with your stuff?" die...
    You drop dead where you stand, and you remain dead where you stood. Anything on you when you died, besides a few newbie things, falls with your dead corpse. Anyone can walk up to it and take those items. You become a ghost and its up to you to figure out how your going to get resurrected, running around looking for a healer, begging people alive to resurrect you.. This aspect of the game can be Extremely frustrating to a new player.

-With all the risk in UO can come great personal reward, much more then reaching some level cap or getting that one set of gear everyone else is getting.

-Honestly someone could spend hours explaining all the ins and outs needed to really understand this game, my advice is to jump in and roll with the hits.
    newme likes this.
  13. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme likes this.
  14. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

1. Browse through the UO Renaissance Compendium (of knowledge)
    2. Don't follow anyone's step by step instructions on "here's exactly what you should do"
    3. Oh the irony

All kidding aside, methinks the objective is finding an enjoyable way to spend some time and if there ever was a game with near endless opportunities... it's this one.

Hell, moments ago I chopped up someone's corpse by cutting off some arm meat until I ended up with a little stack of raw jerky, I fed that to a demonic fire breathing horse named "Pookie" in town while talking to a guy who was wearing a deer's head for a hat along with two friendly 15' tall dragons behind him.

So yeah, I'm having a good day.

Anyway, welcome... WELCOME to UO:R.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Lord Krake and newme like this.
  15. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi again.

One thing I forgot to mention is the world of UO has no beginning (as such) middle or end. When you log out, the world keeps going. You never win this game. Think of it as more of creating a different life. ( not to replace real by any means)
    Yes, there are quests, etc. in game. But completing the quest, does not end the game. Just the quest.
    As others, I could go on for pages about this world. I began playing it way back when and haven't tired of it yet.

Has fun in this world.
  16. Unknown_Hero

Unknown_Hero Active Member

I suggest you make a character with these 7 skills:
    Begging
    Camping
    Taste ID
    Item ID
    Anatomy
    Resist
    Taming

You will be able to log out if you PK's while also being able to get some extra money from begging. The Item ID will help with ID'ing Magic items on the go. If you have any more questions follow this guide: https://goo.gl/2SlOq8

Don't follow this.
  17. Theodin

Rule #3 there's little kids on every mmorpg we can't do anything about it..
  18. Theodin

Rule #3 there's little kids on every mmorpg we can't do anything about it..
    Mindless likes this.
  19. Xevec

Xevec Active Member

I recommend joining a new players guild if you play.
    Bradford Shannon likes this.
  20. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

Something is wrong with the camping order. A lit fire using kindling and with an unrolled camp roll outside the security of the guards, the message that your camp is secure is wrong. It isn't secure and you can't log out.

I suggest until it is fixed players should use the "hide" order.