Dex Tamer Ideas

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Godric Greycliff, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Archery really needs anat+tactics or you dish out WEAK dmg for such a slow rate of fire.

Archery
    Anat
    Tact
    Vet
    Lore
    Tame
    Magery

Dropping to heal = sucks, oh yeah... have to gate those pets around? Need MANA! Then you have to sacrifice dex or a bit of str... there goes your rate of fire.

I just don't like phys dmg + pets, that is why you have pets, but to be different and unique, go for it!
  2. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Bro, run the template that Mes mentioned. Use a badass long spear (like nothing lower than 20/vanq), and train your nightmare up to 7x. Use the spear to get your opponents health closer to around half, and as soon as you land a para blow mash a macro that dismounts and all kills your last target. If that mare has full mana there's a good chance he's gonna drop a high end spell and land at least one mele hit and possibly shoot fire while your still swinging making for an immense amount of damage. Plus, para blow lasts for 4 seconds so you're looking at plenty of time for that mare to launch an ASSAULT. As mes said, you don't want to drop magery as that is the most useful skill in this game IMO, and you have to have a method for healing so you'll want the healing skill. If you don't choose healing you're only other option is to pick up mediation because without it, you will have shit for defense. I personally wouldn't want to fuck with a template that ran like that, or a stun tamer for that matter.
  3. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I agree, use fencing if you go this route because they are quick (so you can drop dex) and no matter what you will hit for 2 dmg anyways. You can do the nightmare thing with a silver spear and own up on some liches as well. You can recall (less mana required) and you wont get stuck between a ton of pets and death.
  4. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Quoted from truth.

I've said it before, but those two templates are the most OP on the shard and nobody uses them :) The new patch in regards to remounting helps some, but only slightly.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

GM magery isn't necessary for pets to have Flamestrike in their arsenal; I think they start flamestriking around 80 to 85 Magery. I haven't noticed them cast it more at higher levels of magery, but it's hard to know for sure without a very long and detailed test.
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Because nobody wants to be called a lot of names... :D
  7. Mandevu

Call me whatever you want, but if I cared to take the time to make another tamer i'd run a stun tamer template and would care less what anyone said. In the end, your loot will be in my pack. And yes, Dalavar, that is correct. However, the higher the magery the higher the damage and the higher the success rate the pet has of successfully casting higher circle spells. Honestly if you land a stun or para blow at even 3/4 hp on your opponent and the mare lands a stomp, firebreath, and 6th circle spell while you're still swinging or casting; your target is going down via overkill.
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Higher damage *and* a lower chance of the target resisting, I believe. Both of which are great.

That said, I don't believe pets fail spells. They simply add a given circle into their repertoire at a particular Magery skill. I think only humanoid monsters can fizzle (evil mages, etc.). At least that's how it's been on every shard I've ever played, and I've not yet heard my pets make a fizzle sound.

One thing I don't yet know is what happens when they can cast Flamestrike but have below 40 mana when it's time to cast a spell. I don't know if they skip casting entirely, or simply choose from the possible spells they can cast with their mana. I would guess the latter.
  9. Mandevu

It's not that they fizzle, but I believe they may make an attempt at spells within their possible success range and, depending on their magery, succeed or fail at casting the spell. So, a pet with 85 magery may attempt a FS, but can fail (or fizzle for humanoids); you just don't see or hear the "fizzle" for pets, or any MOB. But yes, I believe you are correct in assuming they only cast spells that are available within their mana pool. They can't attempt casting a spell that they do not possess the mana for.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

While the added magic is awesome, I would warn any new tamers to beware. If/when your tames start pulling of these 8th cricle stunts, they also cast area spells (like calling a shower of meteors or chain lightning). Once they do this... i hope you have your calming tactics down (separate one from the other and then calm them by saying stop.) In some cases they can get so worked up that you have to separate them completely to different sides of the world until they can cool off.

Dragon 1: "But Dragon master, Smrgol is the one who started it! He zapped my tail with Lightning!

Dragon 2: "You harpy-loving, troll-faced liar! I was aiming for your head not your tail!.. i just got confused!"

Dragon Tamer: slumps shoulders and touches pressure points on forehead "You two are acting like century-pups. Stop whining and KILL THAT LICH LORD WHO'S GOING TO EAT US!!"
  11. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

The mage_AI currently does not have any AoE spells in its arsenal, this includes spells such as earthquake, mass curse, chain lightning & meteor swarm.
  12. Jupiter

i have witnessed a tamers dragons begin fighting on this shard. I had assumed it was because of this issue, but perhaps then it was due to an erroneous command given by the Tamer. I'll notify the Tamer that he should not use hand-gestures to command his pets, or at very least, he should not use the same hand-gesture of a middle finger extended for everything; that probably confuses the dragons.

Thanks Ezekiel!
  13. Mandevu

wtf?
  14. Jupiter

Ezekiel corrected me regarding the AoE spells by tames. So this was irrelevant. To explain the second part, that was my imagined conversation that a tamer has when his pet dragons start fighting due to AoE spells. I know. I'm random
  15. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

To Jupiter's credit my dragons are known for their fouls mouths and ill-temperment.
  16. Mandevu

Yeah I know. The imagined conversation just through me for a loop..
  17. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

This actually happened....and yeah..Smrgol is a dick.
  18. Mandevu

19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Thus is came to pass that an understanding was found, or grasped at, by those who play the game for the sport and those who play for the role. Hybrids there be, to be certain, but quite clearly there are some pure examples in this realm here.
  20. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

Has anyone done this yet? Although I said I would never make a tamer, I am currently making this very template for shits and giggles