FACTIONS ROCK!

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Wulver, May 30, 2013.

1. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

FACTIONS IS BOOMING WITH ACTIVITY!! Almost 80% of the people that have posted in here have left. Last post was just before the world ended in 2012... how appropriate.

Factions needs rewards or incentives, everything is funneled to crafters/farmers, all that can easily be added to factions as well, maybe provide awesome bonuses here. Population is getting heavier, but everyone is doing bods or just go out to pk since nobody is taking up arms to take a city for jack diddly. Maybe faction mobs can drop double plat for faction pvmers, faction crafters have higher crafting % in faction controlled towns(RISK). Everyone thinks factions is pvp only but it is NOT, it was totally skipped over with all the rewards. PVP is an added bonus and risk element that should be REWARDED.

Another addition to encourage teamwork (and get rid of the current lame system):
    After a sigil is captured and placed back into town it is purified, then it becomes eligible to steal again, but that is TOO easy. How about if It is held by a guardian/champ type spawn in the city. It will be broadcast and it will bring factioners to attack or defend, the longer he stays alive, the more silver the faction accumulates (defender bonus) and when killed, have a decent loot drop. When he dies the sigil is transferred to the highest damage dealer and is taken to a stronghold, only then is it stealable from the faction stronghold. Having a sigil immediately stealable from a town is too easy and requires no teamwork whatsoever, 1 person is doing it these days. It should require a team to gain control of a town. Factions would need to be limited to an IP though, so my accounts can only join Minax for example.

I heard factions is being worked, I am just venting and hope it lures people in, not force them in like taxation.
    Angalor likes this.
  2. pdodd

pdodd New Member

I am very interested in factions, but know absolutely nothing about them. I wonder if there are other new players to the shard that share my views?

Wulver, do you think you could write a guide on "Getting Started w/ Factions" or something? I've actually spent time searching the interwebs trying to learn more, but it is difficult for me to find era accurate information.

Edit: Tater just pointed this out to me: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=292
    I feel silly. Lol
  3. ico1

ico1 New Member

I always liked factions, but I was never good at playing in them lol. Been wondering if I should get one of my chars in on it or not.
    I like this idea though, give more of a reason to be in a faction because right now there isn't much of a good reason other than maybe a cool looking horse.
  4. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I'm glad you guys are here, oh you both left also? Darn... factions sure is awesome.
  5. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

i vote PRO any rewards for faction activity aside from ganking.
    This could include some PvM like descriped Faction Bosses in town.
    Killing a faction boss which defends a town sigil should need at least 15 Minutes for lets say 2-3 players attacking it.
    Dont give him a lot of dmg output but a lot of HP. Cross Healing Dexxers should be able to kill it.
    Reward for this? Should be discussed. Platinum is ever a good choice.
  6. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

I would love for there to be an incentive that might entice someone like myself to play factions and contribute in some way that isn't just running around and ganking people but there really isn't anything intriguing enough. All someone like myself views factions as is a bunch of 6v1 fights because that's all we see and hear about.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has ever had a foolproof idea on how to reward factions without it being farmable/abusable. PvP should probably be it's own reward after all. The best idea I ever heard was Chris mentioned possibly letting faction scribes bless factioner's runebooks temporarily (ie 2-3 weeks) for the cost of silver (and requiring town ownership). That line of thinking is probably safer than platinum rewards. But chances are Chris's time has been more devoted to changes more people can enjoy instead of a small slice of the UOR population. PvP and factions is not in dire need of help by any means. The server saw the greatest amount of faction pvp it ever has last month.

The onus is on the players to get out there and fight each other. Not wait around for handouts to get them to join up. And this leads into the 6v1's statement...don't be a lameass. It's organized pvp, and it's competitive. Make 5 friends and find a 6v6 instead of sitting in your house talking about how you're busily avoiding a 6v1. If you want a 1v1 there are plenty of tournaments to join. You may be surprised to find those 6 players from the 6v1 are there competing in them.
  8. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Selfishly, I'm glad Chris is working on things other than factions because I'll enjoy most of those other things more than I would factions anyway. I'm not overly excited by direct PvP but if there were other viable ways to contribute to a faction I'd consider it. I thought about making a faction trapper/remover but then I realized that people are warned about the traps anyway, so I kinda figured what's the point?

I'm not really being a lameass and sitting in my house avoiding 6v1's, I'm doing other things that I enjoy more than PvP. Though I'm sure your sentiment holds true with people that actually do fancy themselves PvPers but avoid factions.

But I am working on a character to put into factions currently just so I can get some experience with getting my ass kicked all over Sosaria for a while and maybe become a salvageable PvPer eventually just because it's something I haven't done in UO since 2000 with any level of seriousness.
    Mes likes this.
  9. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

It is a small slice of the population for a reason. Why join factions for pvp when we have CTF and tournaments? On OSI, I played solely on faction characters, capturing a town actually DID something. If factions isn't in dire need of help then why the hell has a town sigil sat untouched for 2 weeks? Soon, SL will have them so they can bless up some weapons again, then run around fighting nobody. I joined this shard because of factions, I have also played with a lot of different people who wanted to play factions but they vanish in very short time after they finish a factioner. Factions is a SYSTEM within UO, it should be regarded as such, but a core part of that system was demolished and nothing left in it's place. Faction member count keeps going up, but the active players remain the same...
  10. Hazy

Hazy Active Member

Stop being a lame ass
  11. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

I reserve the right to be a lameass at any time.
    Ningauble likes this.
  12. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

As evidenced by your rainbow pooping ninja unicorn rider in your avatar......
  13. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

That's a viking, old man.
  14. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

The rider is yes.....but he is riding a rainbow pooping ninja unicorn......
  15. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

And what about that isn't awesome?
  16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Down with factions. UP WITH ORDER CHAOS!
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

At least you don't have to capture a town, spend silver, use a faction crafter to make a blessed item like you can get from Order/Chaos FOR FREEEEE!!!
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would play the fuck out of Order/Chaos if we blocked blue-healing faggotry from getting involved. The reason O/C fucking blows is that fights can be swayed by any piece of shit standing around on a blue.

I won't have anything to do with that imbalanced crap.
  19. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

May as well try to get that going, factions is going nowhere fast.

No stat-loss, no character limit... just pvp.
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If they don't block blue-healing, it will go just as nowhere, just as fast.

Statloss is appropriate and even more so for 3 free accounts, when you are actually guarding sigils. Character limits are absolutely appropriate for the same reasons. Not too mention in a group fight, removing the ability for someone to res/gear up and immediately return to the fight allows the fight to end, only to start again later (after you've recovered from your 10 minute break).

Wulver, factions will never be suited for your solo-hero style. I'm sorry, you will just have to form a team for factions to make any sense.