Fast track guide to taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Upgrayedd, Jul 18, 2013.

1. DocHoliday

DocHoliday New Member

Well I guess I should have elaborated further. When I said I can't tame another leopard I ment I always fail. The taming initiates, but I always fail, and stop gaining skill. I always eventually tame the first cat, and gain off it until its tame. But after that I start taming others, always fail and I don't gain any taming skill. I have been gaining lore though. Maybe I'm just destined to have to do it the old fashioned way. *sigh* I hate leveling animal tame, this will make like the 20th time.
  2. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

There's no magic to it, just percentages. I find what you are describing hard to believe and suspect this is more of a user error type of problem. Also, keep in mind that each time a critter retamed, it's difficulty increases by 6 points. If, after re-reading this guide, you still encounter problems, contact me on irc and we'll get it sorted out.
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Yea, it sounds like you are encountering re-tames. And re-tames happen a lot on dagger isle, as many go around the island manually taming and releasing.

From what I saw when I was training Animal Taming, if I was attempting to tame a re-tame that I had 0% chance of succeeding on, it would not give me an error message along the lines of "you have no chance to tame this creature". The game instead lets you try to tame it and you always fail with no skill gains.

My solution was genocide of the local snow leopard population.
  4. Spoiled Milk

Spoiled Milk New Member

Awesome guide. Ran into an issue with the white wolves at 65.1 but figured out that I just needed to perform some acts which are prohibited by the Geneva Convention on the local wolf population :twisted:

70 taming now :)

Also the wolves are Type 34 and 37 for white wolves. Not sure when it changed
  5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Thanks. Macro updated.
  6. Chamaeleon

Chamaeleon New Member

I was always under the impression that Taming and Barding went together, but it looks like there isn't much room for them. Though, wouldn't Musicianship and Peacemaking work well as the last 2 skills in place of wrestling and magic resist? It seems that it would be easier to certain things if they were not trying to kill you.
  7. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Really, it's easiest just to para field them if you ask me. The provo-tamer (Magery, Med, Music, Provo, Taming, Lore, and Vet) is one of the most popular PvM templates around here. Any of the bard skills go well in place of provocation, though. Some people have even gone so far as to drop meditation in favor of two bard skills.
  8. Marbles

Marbles Member

wow, crazy in depth guide. Thanks.
  9. ErikdeRed

ErikdeRed Active Member

Has the spawn on Dagger always been so low? I can only get a single spawn out of half the island.
  10. Animal Control

Animal Control Well-Known Member

I've noticed that as well about dagger isle - have to REALLY run around and look to find critters. Snow leopards especially. Hardly see any there.
  11. dirtydan

dirtydan New Member

Hey I can't seem to copy and paste macros. I would like to see the link provided in the guide but when I click it, a page comes up that says it's archived. Any ideas?
  12. Basoosh

13. Russ

Russ Member

my macros folder is empty in my razor folder but ive created about 10 macros on razor... any ideas?
  14. Basoosh

1) Try closing out UO. I never remember exactly how this works without trying it, but I seem to recall the macro files don't get written until you close Razor.

2) Maybe looking under wrong Windows user?
  15. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

That, and if you right-click on a line in a macro, you can choose "Save". This is useful along with the "Reload" option, if using multiple profiles/accounts at once.

(May sound basic but it was about 6 months ago that I first noticed this... after 5 years with Razor)
    Azerothian and Basoosh like this.
  16. Russ

Russ Member

well ive found 2 different razor folders. one doesn't have a macros folder in it and the other in like I said before empty.
  17. Aramis

Aramis New Member

Ran into an issue with the Hell Hounds today. Set it up as shown, and ran the macro. Whenever a hound got tamed, he would walk on top of the orc, and start attacking me. The hound would walk through the orc, and I even put a 2nd character there as well, and the hound walked through both of us. Made it much more difficult to accomplish, and overall, a pain. It seems to be better, but as of right now I'll probably stick to Bulls. I've slown to a crawl at 94.4, but it's still at least occasionally gaining.

Anyone encounter this... or know of a fix?
  18. John Snow

John Snow New Member

Had the same problem tonight... Anyone know a way around this?

Tried removing the Attack portion of the macro to see how it went. No better as things generally didn't stay in range. Went to bulls in Jel, Seems terribly slow with spawn and how large the area is.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  19. Llama

Llama New Member

Could op or anyone else post a macro for hidden herding the jhelom bulls. Mine keeps timing out cant figure out why.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  20. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

Hell Hounds room is busted because the hounds walk on top of the blockers. Any chance of getting this fixed, this was a classic place to gm taming (and not nearly as annoying as bulls)