Focus (And other skills)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by ravenclaw, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Your opinion is great and everything, but are you purposely ignoring the fact that DesignerDragon said it worked that way as early as 1999?
  2. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I acknowledge that if you search old UO forums for food you can find tons of posts by EA/OSI people saying that they believe food has some effect like causes you to fizzle less or makes you regen something better. I don't know if those people wanted to leave some mystery to the mechanics of the game or if they genuinely did not know.

I was a mod and writer for uopowergamers.com for a couple of years and all I did after trammel came out and felucca became a ghost town was powergame characters and learn game mechanics. I can tell you by testing that food has no special effects on this server. I can't go back in time and prove it to you on OSI shards but it is my opinion that it was the same way there as it is here.
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

No sh!t, me too! What was your name on UOPG? I forget mine, maybe Duncan MacLeod or something.

Your "leaving things a mystery" theory would hold a lot more water if DD didn't also quell the mystery about skillgain and success rates in the very same response.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

my name was Gloval at UOPG
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Precisely!
  6. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Look if you guys want to go on believing that food has some mystical uses that's fine but please stop telling new players that it does things that it does not. This is how this retardation keeps getting transmitted. Every time a new player gets in IRC or the forum and asks what food does there's 3 of you guys claiming it provides any range of neat bonuses that there has never been any in game evidence for.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I don't know, and I'm not as stat focused as Dalavar, but I know the guys at UOSA are, and they do have it working like that.
  8. Dalavar

Bummer, I don't remember that name.

No one is arguing with you about how it works right now, right here.

We are arguing with you about how it DID work, and thus how it SHOULD work. I am pretty sure I qualified my statement earlier today, but even if I didn't, it's been put to rest by your testing. The conversation should now be about whether it should be fixed, which IMO it should because of the quote from the designer.

And let's chillax a bit with the "retardation", OK?

Glass houses, etc.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Do you recognize the difference between me being a few points off on the damage a force spear is likely to do and people (you?) telling new players that eating food increases stamina/mana/health regen or skill gain/fizzle rates/whatever?
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

You do realize I included the following disclaimer in my post:
    Also, this is something I pointed out to Telamon a while ago, and he said he was going to look into it, so I'm sure we'll have a position on this soon.
  11. Dalavar

You were 25% off in your area of expertise. That's the difference between a dagger and a kryss; that's enormous.

Yes, it's entirely possible I forgot a disclaimer like Pirul this morning. So yeah, someone might have consumed 11 fish steaks today thinking it increased their stamina regen. If only I could do something to save them 80,000 gp.

It's not the end of the world. Like your spear mishap, we all ended up learning something. And in this case, hopefully we can get closer to actual Renaissance-era UO through this discussion.

Is it really worth calling this "retardation" because some people mistakenly believe this Renaissance-era shard has a Renaissance-era feature implemented? Seriously, we're talking a handful of fish steaks here.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

We're talking about something that has far greater impact than usage of fishsteaks. Changing the rate at which anything functions based on eating will require yet another full look at how it can possibly balance or imbalance in pvp/pvm/craft, etc.

I do like the idea of satiation relevance, but that's another thread entirely. Feel free to look it up, it's quite lengthy.
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

That's just the thing man. It's not a Renaissance-era feature. It never was. That's what's so ridiculous to me. After more than ten years people still keep spreading all these theories about the voodoo that food is capable of. It just gives 5 stamina, that's always been the case. I can't speak for what happens on UOSA because I never played there, but I suspect it was the same there.
  14. Dalavar

Won't impact crafting as it doesn't impact mana regen. Won't impact PvM noticeably, since spells and weapon hits from monsters generally don't sap stamina. Will have a minor impact on PvP as those who eat have a slight advantage in duels. Perhaps most noticeable among folks that use the Stamina-sapping special moves (Disarm, etc.). And even then, really only matters if you run out of red pots, and become stuffed so you can't eat anymore.

I don't know what a "full look" entails, but given this shard existed for over a year before anyone noticed that Mace weapons don't actually roll dice, I have low expectations for what other insights such a "full look" would unearth.

Make it accurate, then examine actual in-game play, IMO.
  15. Dalavar

Raph Koster, the lead designer for UO, is quoted during the actual era as saying it impacted stamina regen.

Mes, a UO player 12 years later, says it didn't.
  16. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Lol well if Richard Garriott jumped into this thread and said it works that way on UOR but a thousand people testing it on the server found it to do nothing I suppose on this forum it would still be safe to assume food does all sorts of witchcraft.

Do you think its possible when someone says that food impacts stamina regen they simply meant that food regenerates 5 stamina? Because if so, I agree.
  17. Dalavar

No, I don't. But that's just because...

Aside from saying "rates" consistently, he also said it applies to HPs. So under your interpretation, you would be forced to think he meant it replenishes 5 HP as well.
  18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

So you mean to tell us that thousands of players actually tested HP regen rates depending on satiation in OSI during UO:R?
  19. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Re:Dalavar-I don't think you quoted the guy before. It's clear from the quote he intends to mean rates. But he says he's unsure of mana regen, do you not find that suspicious at all?

Re:pirul - I didn't count how many people tested it on OSI. I know that it was tested and commonly accepted among powergamers or people that otherwise knew the mechanics well that eating did nothing. It's just roleplayer superstition and poorly spread rumors on the uo.com forums that led so many people to think food had magical powers. If I believed everything I read on the uo.com forums, I'd also believe that sometimes my nightmare heals me and that pure white wyrms are better than non.

I invite you guys to test it here on UO:R since we're able to do that.

Here's a great example of how this discussion has lived so long: http://www.uoforums.com/topic/2639-the-food-what-it-good-for/

I challenge you guys to find something that remotely resembles a scientific test of what food does from OSI shards.

As far as I know passive stamina/health regen could not be changed until AoS.

You know, I don't think there's anything I could actually say or do to convince you otherwise and I think it's silly that I'm trying so hard. I wish I had never posted anything. Believe whatever you wish.
  20. Dalavar

There is plenty you could say or do. Citing "a thousand powergamers" testing this (but zero of them writing about it on UOPG or Stratics or mailing lists archived in Google Groups) is not one of them.

Given that there's no patch note about this from 1997 to 2000, the best thing to do is to test it on the UO Demo, which contains actual UO code from early/mid 1998.