Lumberjack Mage

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Mimic, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Mimic

Mimic Member

Has anyone messed around with a LJ/Mage pvp template?

I am wondering if it is viable to trade some gm skills to add some lumberjacking to a Tank/Mage build.

Something like:

95 mage
    90 eval
    90 med
    90 resist
    100 anatomy
    100 Tacics
    100 Swords
    35 LJ

This is just guestimating as I do not have all of the bonuses memorized, but does anyone with experience with the various bonuses think this could be viable?

By viable I mean having more damage output using an axe vs a halberd while maintaining the dumping capability of a mage.
  2. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

I have had a hybrid lumberjack tank mage, and they are both fun and deadly, my build was strange something like...

swordsmanship - 100
    anatomy - 60
    tactics - 100
    lumberjacking - 100
    magery - 100
    meditation - 80
    resist - 90
    eval - 70

at first I thought he may be to weak, but he still did massive damage. I 2 shot a debuffed player once with just a power double axe hit and a prepped ebolt :)
    Beethoven likes this.
  3. Mimic

Mimic Member

Awesome! Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to give it a try.

On OSI right before AOS I had a 8x char with
    90 fencing
    90 tactics
    90 anatomy
    100 resist
    90 mage
    70 med
    90 healing
    80 eval

Maybe not exact but close
    It was a riot to play in open world pvp because people would never expect the fencer mage to be healing on the run. While it was difficult in 1vs1 this build was amazing in group pvp. Also it relied heavily on potions but I think that is pretty much the state of pvp here across the board.
  4. Russell

ya this build might not be good for big group fighting but solo pking, 1v1/2v2 tournaments, even 2 man pking this build is fun and it is basically just as effective if you are good at using pots and throwing purples. I never even bothered using a runic weapon on this guy because there was never really a need for it but I cant even imagine using a val double axe would be like.
  5. Mimic

Mimic Member

I think I read somewhere that Magery without eval still does decent damage. IS that true?
  6. Russell

does mediocre damage with the addition of high mind blast damage on the right targets
  7. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  8. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I roll without Lumberjacking as a pure Swords/Tankmage.

Hallys have the potential to hit extremely hard - but are also very slow.
    Ive been trying with Axes too, Battleaxe is working pretty well, even without the +9 GM LJ Bonus + you can get conc blows too with GM anat, which can come handy in some fights.

For most of the fights im using 1H Katana though, its simply the best 1H weapon in my opinion and a lot more useful agains casters - more interrupts, ability to drink pots... so the LJ bonus isnt needed too.

I see no real need to add LJ because of these reasons, but if you want to play something out of the ordinary, then im pretty sure you will have fun with it, just because of all the varietys a tankmage can offer :)
  9. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I've been meaning to mess around with an LJ tank for a long time... but I just don't have the character slots... one day I'll change one of my other tanks; but I'm just getting them back into regular action.

Anyways... I think the template is DEFINITELY viable... but I believe alot of the options posted to be sacrificing points in the wrong place.

GM Eval would be a must for me.

I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure Bogugh wrote an incredibly in depth data test on how 'combat ability' (I think that's what it's called? ... I don't know much on the subject) works. I'd look to there for starters.

Also... as far as I know; the LJ bonus goes in 10s. So having 35 is a waste of 5 skill points.
  10. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

If you can find a decent collection of magic axes (or sword weaps) you can go lower on tactics. Tactics is capped at 100 here so any magic weapon modifier (for over 100 Tactics) is pointless. +15 or +20 weapon will make the difference up. I like having some poisoning but you can run it on a utility character obviously LJ tank won't have the points for it. Get on test build your template and run a log see what works best to tweak skill point allotment. Maybe get a partner on test to pvp against.
    Mindless likes this.
  11. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

According to test center, LJ damage rounds on the 5s of displayed skill (35, 45, 55 ...) and not the 0s, except for GM.

I've tried LJ/Eval. There are a few different ways to roll it. My favorite part was most people seemed justifiably confused when fighting me. I think this is worth trying, especially if you already have an LJ. I found I preferred eval fencer, but I don't regret giving LJ/Eval a go. (More char slots as a plat reward plz?)

Again, this is based on test center, but this is not my understanding of the mechanic. Combat ability is capped at 100. It doesn't matter how you get there. In other words, if you have +25 tactics, you can drop some of your tactics OR most of your anatomy and still be capped. That was my favorite way to run it actually- maximum bursty damage potential. The tradeoff here is you will not get many conc blows and you are somewhat more vulnerable to melee/punches while casting (44% dodge chance, iirc vs 50%@gm).

90 swords (47% hit vs 50%@gm vs nonarchers)
    40 anatomy
    100 tactics
    100 magery
    100 eval
    70 med
    100 resist
    100 lj
    --------------------
    80 str * .2 = 16 combat ability
    40 anatomy *.2 = 8 combat ability
    125 tactics - 49 = 76 combat ability
    76 + 16 + 8 = 100%

You can also cap with a +20 tactics weapon with the same build if you chug a strength pot and increase anatomy to 45.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Beethoven and Erza Scarlet like this.
  12. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

This is a huge part of what intrigues me about the build... not being so damn predictable/cookie cutter.
    Vlar and Bogugh like this.