Macroing Melee Skills For Dummies!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Drewywopper, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Drewywopper

Drewywopper New Member

Melee Skill Gaining for US Poor Newbs!

3 Best Ways to GM Melee(Swords/Mace/Fencing/Archery):
    1) The Ol' Fashioned Way: Go out and hunt while gaining!:
    0-25 skill - Use a Training Dummy (If you didn't start with 50 at character creation)
    25-35 skill - Attack peaceful creatures(sheep, hinds, chickens, goats.. Easier creatures)
    35-50 skill - Attack Skeletons found in the Graveyards
    50-70 skill - Attack Ettins and trolls found in Despise and the wilderness
    70-80 skill - Attack Earth Elementals found in Shame
    80-100 skill - Attack Skeletal Knights, Ore Elementals, Anything thats a strong monster that doesn't cast magery

2) Hire an NPC and take him to your home or lure him to a safe spot you think you will not get killed if you do not have a home(There are plenty, I GM'd doing this) and attack him while keeping him and yourself healed!

3) Have both of your characters(Account limit=2), and have them both attacking eachother while cross-healing. (Cross healing is having Main character heal Backup character, and have Backup character healing Main character).

-----------------
    Step-By-Step:

Optional Step:
    Complete your stats! For best results, make sure your Strength and Dexterity at finished state. Whatever you plan on having them at when your character is done, train them to that point... OR even higher just to gain melee, because you can adjust stats WAY EASIER than gaining skills.

Training Strength + Dex
    --> Goto the carpentry shop or a Stable Master and purchase a Shepherds Crook to train Herding!
    --> Goto Moonglow via Moongate, On foot, or someone to Gate Travel you to Moonglow, and goto the Moonglow Zoo!
    --> I suggest you use the polar bear, it is what I used to train herding to complete my stats.
    --> Open razor, goto your macros, Click New and name it Herding.
    --> Click "Record", Go in-game, Double-Click your Shepherds Crook, click the Polar Bear, and click 1tile beside the Polar bear(Where you want the polar bear to move), go back to razor and click Stop recording.
    --> Edit the macro. Right click your last line, which will be "Absolute Target", Goto "Special Constructs", Click "Insert Pause/Wait..." and type in 1000 (1000=1 second).

Your macro should be:
    Double Click (Shepherd's Crook)
    Wait for Target
    Absolute Target
    Wait for Target
    Absolute Target
    Pause 1.00sec

TRANSLATION: Double click the Shepherd's Crook, Click the animal you want to move, and click 1 tile away for the bull to walk to that spot.

To add macro by file:
    --> Open your Razor/Macro folder, Open herding.txt

Razor Macros are either in your program files/razor
    OR
    Click start, click top right option(Your computer name), Click the address bar and add \AppData(AppData is a hidden folder (example: C:\Users\Andrew\AppData)), Click Roaming, Click Razor, Click Macros).

Click herding.txt and paste this:

!Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3713|True
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|61083|4513|1384|23|215
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|1
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|1|0|0|4512|1385|23|2123
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01

-->Open razor, go into your macro here, and Right Click Absolute Target, and click Re-Target, and adjust my macro's to your surrounding conditions for your macro (Example, In this macro, you'll right click Absolute Target, click re-target, and click the animal you are planning on herding to move..
    Just check the loop box

--> Lastly, Check the loop box.

-------------------------------------------------

Step 1 --> BE PREPARED! Preperation is key!

Bandaids:
    Go shear sheep at Yew Farms and Jhelom Farms. If you shear all the sheep at both of those farms 4 times, you'll have a bunch of wool. Bring the wool to a tailor shop, and use it on the spinning wheel to turn it into yarn. Use the yarn on the loom, and you will receive bolts of cloth. Use scissors on the bolt of cloth to receive cut cloth, finally use the scissors on the cut cloth and you will get bandaids!

If you shear and then kill all the sheep(To respawn quick) at yew farms and jhelom farms 4times (5 farms in total) you will have about 5000bandaids. TIME TO START TRAINING!

Weapons:
    Have the weakest type of weapon as per whatever skill your training! and Have a few of your weapons due to damaged goods after a while during battle.

All weapons MUST be purchased from a vendor for Base Damage to be accurate!(BOLD HERE)

Swordsmanship: Use Skinning Knives(9-11 Base Damage) or Butchers Knives(9-11 Base Damage)
    Last Resort: Cleaver (11-13 Base Damage)

Mace Fighting: Use Wands(9-11 Base Damage - Purchase at the Mage shop), If you cannot find any wands, Use Clubs (11-13 Base Damage) -
    Last Resort: Quarterstaff (11-14 Base Damage)

Fencing: Use Daggers(10-11 Base Damage), 2nd Option=A Kryss(10-12 Base Damage)
    Last Resort: Short Spear(10-13 Base Damage)

Archery: Use Bows (15-19 Base Damage), 2nd Option= Crossbow(18-22 Base Damage)
    There is no Last Resort - I suggest you do not use the 2nd Option either. Use a regular Bow!

Armor:
    If you are gaining Parrying, make sure you have a shield equiped and a couple extra's if you don't want to make the run to town to get another when you first shield gets severly damaged.

If you want to wear armor during your macroing stages, wear REGULAR LEATHER ARMOR!!!

Step 2 --> Healing:

If you didn't start with healing at character creatio, you're going to want to buy the skill from a vendor!

Goto town, and goto the in-town Resurrection healer
    Type to the healer " *name of the npc* train healing." --> It will cost about 320gp from 0.0 Healing skill. While the text is still above his head, drag the amount the NPC said it would cost and drop it on him.
    ****IF THE TEXT ABOVE THE NPC'S HEAD DISAPPEARS.. DO NOT DROP THE MONEY ON HIM!!!! PUT IT BACK IN YOUR BAG AND SAY ""*NAME OF NPC* TRAIN HEALING"" AGAIN!!****

Get your aids ready in your pack, and GET READY FOR BATTLE!

Step 3 --> Setting up your Macro!

You want to be able to set up your macro, CLICK PLAY, and leave your computer and go masturbate, SO THIS IS THE ONLY MACRO YOU GOTTA RUN! It's just a HEALING MACRO!
    I will give the macros for all the available ways to gain melee skills.

1) Good Ol' Fashioned Way - To go out and attack things by hand while wandering and saving money / resources-- The only macro you need to run is to heal yourself.

Razor Macro:-->Open your Razor, Click the Macro's Tab, Click "Record"

--->Open up your Ultima Online Client - Double click your bandaids, and click yourself.
    --->Open Razor again, Stop the recording.
    --->Right click the last line, which should be target self, go down to "Special Constructs", and click "Insert Pause/Wait" and type "30000", which is 30seconds.
    I put 30 because of my healing skill. The better your healing, the quicker it will take to heal.
    It took roughly 30seconds for my bandaid heal attempt finished.
    Right click the first line, that's "Double Click (0x402026F4)", and click "Convert to DClick by Type"

Macro: (Your razor macro will look like this)
    Double Click (clean bandage%s%)
    Wait for Target
    Exec: Target Self
    Pause 30.00sec
    (ON A LOOP)

TRANSLATION: Double click bandaids, Click yourself or your status bar, and in 30seconds, your loop will do it again.

2) Beating up a "Hired NPC" for gains!
    --> This is rougly the same, just your healing macro is a bit different! You have to heal the NPC and yourself. Bring the NPC to a safe area, wherever you plan on macroing.

--> This requires an extra step. say "all guard me", Then attack the NPC and watch it for a bit. Heal manually by double clicking the bandaids yourself and etc.. See the health of each of you while your using your worst type of melee combat weapon(dagger, skinning/butcher knife, wand.. ETC). If your dieing quicker than the npc, which you prob will be at first... Good thing you bought that healing from the NPC!

Razor Macro:
    Double Click (Clean bandage%s%()
    Wait For Target
    Target Self
    Pause 30.00 sec
    Wait for Target
    Absolute Target
    Pause 30.00sec
    (ON A LOOP)

TRANSLATION: Double Click the bandaids, click yourself. 30second wait, double click bandaids, and click the NPC. ***(If you use a 2nd char to heal both.. Double click bandaids, click Character 1, Edit macro - add a pause, Double click bandaids, Click Character 2 - Add another pause, Check lop box, and VOILA!)****

Now watch your macro go. Keep a count in your head when the macro clicks the aids and clicks yourself, count roughy how long it takes for you to heal yourself, and adjust your pauses accordingly. Maybe add a 2nd heal, so you heal yourself twice because you are dieing quicker, or vice versa.. You'll have to watch and make adjustments.

Or have both your characters logged in, have a character with 50healing, that you just made, come and heal both you and the NPC.. He will heal 10x quicker than you will, and he'll have a better chance of succeeding everything do to 50.0 Hiding instead of the 30 you get when you purchase the skill from a vendor.

3) Have Both Your Characters Attacking Eachother!

This is exactly like fighting with the NPC. Just both characters are running a healing macro.

Razor Macro:

Character 1's Macro:
    Wait for Target
    Absolute Target
    Pause 30.00sec
    (ON A LOOP)

TRANSLATION: Double click the Bandaids, Click Character 2 - Add the pause in razor macros after you're done recording.

Character 2's Macro:
    Wait for Target
    Absolute Target
    Pause 30.00sec
    (ON A LOOP)

TRANSLATION: Double click the Bandaids, Click Character 1 - Add the pause in razor macros after you're done recording.

--> Cross-Healing: This means when in battle with someone, instead of healing yourself, you're healing them while hes healing you.

Last Step:
    Keep an eye once and a while on your macro. --- You're looking for damaged weapons, damaged equipment, and your bandaid count. Once bandaids are getting low, stop the macro and follow steps listed above to gain more bandaids for free! Also add new melee weapons when old ones are damaged!

Sorry for all the text!! I was asked to make this one "For Dummies", which is just highly detailed so even if it was your first day, you could follow the steps!

Enjoy,

Drewywopper
    MikeK, Gwenno and Azerothian like this.
  2. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Thanks for the guide. I'm sure a lot of new members will find it very useful!
    pezdspnzr likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Since archery is not a melee weapon the title should be changed to Weapon or Combat Skills for dummies

/nerd
  5. Malfetus

Malfetus New Member

Had a question about the 2 character method; How does this work as a young player? Can I just freely attack the other character in Occlo or do I need to go somewhere else? If that's the case, what if I don't have a house and it flags me, etc. Thanks!
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

You may attack your guildmates in the city limits without the interruption of the town guards.

When I first got here, I personally hired an NPC paladin from the pub by the docks south of town.
    I had an additional character run me bandages and a new training weapon every once in awhile as I trained in a remote location outside of town.

This left me (as a flagged criminal) with little to loot should a player come by and "bring me to justice".

G'luck.

Edit: Wow look at the OP date on this thing!

I need a old priest and a young priest!
  7. Malfetus

Malfetus New Member

Heh yeah, I looked all over for this information and this is the only thread I found - plus it's on the website in the compendium. :)
  8. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  9. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Gideon, does it matter if you "tab out" your punching bag char instead of let him defend with 0 skill? I usually tab out, but not sure if that would make a difference or not?
  10. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  11. Azerothian

Azerothian Well-Known Member

No, 3.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Are you positive about that? I have never been able to GM tactics on a char sparring a non-tactics char. I always have to finish off tactics sparring with a char with 80+ tactics.
  13. Azerothian

Azerothian Well-Known Member

I am using method #3 and am still gaining tactics (almost GM - I have GMed anatomy in the process) and healing but archery has stalled at 88.8 shown. I am hoping that i will start gaining archery once the others GM.

Yes, I do have skills marked down that are > 0 real.

ETA: Still stuck. It has been almost 36 hours since I had an archery gain. Any gain tbh other than to GM anatomy.

ETA#2: thanks to @Pill (elhorno on #renaissance on IRC) for telling me that the archer's target needs to have a weapon skill. My target had 0 (real) on all combat skills. Pure crafter. *facepalm* Perhaps @Drewywopper could add this to the guide to save another poor soul from wasting a lot of arrows?

Anyway what he told me (edited for other people's chatter):

"You can't gm a weapon skill on something with no weapon skill.
    If u use like an npc, their skill raises with urs, so thats cool.
    A new char will work (as the target) too, with 50 skill.
    I bet if if ur stuck at 88.8 the char ur hitting has like 11.2 wrestling shown (with stat modifiers).
    The crux of your problem is: you cannot gain in a skill with 0% or 100% chance of success or failure and you are at 100% chance of success in landing blows against ur current target. That principle works on ALL skills."

So, thanks @Pill!

ETA#3:
    YAY now he is shooting a new toon with 50 healing and 50 fencing his archery is going up!
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  14. Majinko

Majinko Active Member

I'm gonna post my cross healing macro for this. I haven't inserted comments but just incase any other newbs wanna use this.
    This macro assumes:
    • You are using two accounts to crossheal
    • Have counters setup for your weapon & shield. This is an important step, don't forget to add and activate this counter or it'll break with a bunch of SysMsgs.
    • Have decent healing and anatomy skill. If you're starting from the 30s, make sure you change the POST HEAL finger slip recheck to 2 seconds and duplicate it. You can only use a skill once every 10 seconds. I have it split to use skill, bandage, wait 6 seconds and if no slip, wait 4 more seconds.
    • Are somewhere safe from dying (you'll be grey attacking and healing your attacker)
    • Have setup arm/disarm macros for a butcher's knife and a wooden shield (you can use whatever you want)
    • Have access to a restock pile of weapons and have setup restock agents for: weapon, shield
    It will
    • Train Swordsmanship, Anatomy, Healing, Parrying, and Tactics
    • Heal a target every 30ish seconds unless you slip, then it'll attempt healing again in 4 seconds
    • Use Anatomy and Arms Lore (I did it for the stat gains, would be better starting out if you switched it to all Anatomy to bolster your healing)
    • Check every 4 seconds to make sure you attempt healing again if your fingers slip (you can't shorten that part as it takes about 4 seconds to bandage someone. If you do, you'll constantly apply bandages but never heal and will die)
    • Use bandages directly from a locked down or secure container in your home, so no need to be overweight
    • Arm a weapon and shield every 30 seconds (they break, it doesn't check for chest pieces which also break so you can add that in too) and restock 1 of each if you don't have one.
    • other things I've forgotten I'm sure

You will need to:
    • Setup restock agents for a butcher knife and a shield, separately. I ran into trouble restocking them both
    • Have separate arm/dress cues for a butcher knife and a shield. You can change to whatever weapon you want
    • Retarget everything. The heal targets are static for my characters
    • Lock off wrestling if you don't want to gain that. In the few seconds while it rearms you, you'll be fighting barefisted.
    Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.UseSkillAction|4
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|3
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1151320379|2796|750|7|3937
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1151370607|3617
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|2|1672015|2795|752|7|401
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:08
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|barely help
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickAction|1151370607|3617
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|30