Murder System idea

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Spoiled Milk, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You only lose skillpoints if you accept a rez while having 5 or more short term murder counts.
  2. Google-

Google- Member

3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I never really have understood the reason for short-term and long term counts. Is this to account for a PK who "might" want to have a change of heart, repent of their murderous ways and become blue again? Or is it to allow for "vigilante" justice (for cases where you kill another blue who is clearly a griefer or murderer in blue's clothing)?

Anyhow, shouldn't there be a limit to how many times you can "work" off short term counts before they just go long term? And base the 'stat' loss on your long terms?

Or, to better suit the red population and appease the blues, could we leave in place the current permanent stat loss based on short terms, and implement something akin to the thief system for anybody with long terms? e.g. if you have > 1 long term you have a 2 minute stat loss upon resurrection (so that at least if you murder best them you have two minutes before they come back). This way, if you are running around with 900+ long terms and you get bested there will be something of a penalty for slaughtering so many innocents, but it won't completely cripple your game play for 4 years while work off the long terms (900 long terms * 40 hours = 1500 days = 4 years)
  5. Basoosh

The long-term count system is in place to prevent rampant blue PKing (which, in my experience, does become rampant @ 8 hours per count).

I dunno, I think the current setup is just fine. It's perhaps too easily circumvented by having access to three accounts for murderers, but I don't think any blues are really complaining about it.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Well played Gideon. LoL.
  7. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor
    Renaissance Volunteers

So the top 10 murderers here are actually only 3 different people ?!?!?!

:)

Because I tend to stay to the Peaceful, consensual side of thing, you might think that I am vehemently opposed to Reds. Absolutely NOT the case.

We need them.

We want them.

I would not play UOR without them.

Like ANY system, IRL or UO, if its abused then it becomes a problem. Let that pendulum of balance swing to far in either direction and its a bad thing. There are Player enacted controls... self restraint, Anti-PKs, banning them from your Vendor Shops. And there are Game enacted controls.. Murder System, Stat Loss, No more bank access as a Red...

Each of these controls have their place and function. NEITHER should be F*CKED with without very deliberate thought and consideration.
  8. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

my opinion is that statloss is not harsh enough. short term decay times should be tripled to account for having three free accounts.

i'm sure i don't speak for LoL.
  9. Wil

Wil Member

Hi Cheapsuit,

No. When the prey give up and leave, the predators starve. What we want (and after you think about it, you'll probably want this too) is a healthy balance of players attracted to all the various styles of play. Even the crafters and bank sitters. Each adds flavor to the whole game. It's the balance which makes this a world and not just a battle zone with mediocre graphics.

There's another major shard right now that's dying from the Red Plague. Can't step in a dungeon without getting ganked. Can't farm any spawns without getting ganked. Can barely walk from Britain to Yew without getting ganked. They don't understand why the population is dropping. The folks who try to explain it are told to stop crying. So they do. Somewhere else. And the Reds who remain are starting to go hungry.

This shard is awesome. Reds are a part of that. But I'd hate to see it catch the Red Plague.

Regards,
    Wil
  10. Basoosh

^^^

I think this is a good example of how strict era accuracy has its merits, but also it's faults...