Pet gating

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Liberation, May 22, 2014.

1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

2. napo

napo Well-Known Member

That's a rather black and white way of looking at things, though I'm not really that surprised. There are plenty of nasty things that you can do without bugs ever being involved, but with the company you keep I'm sure that you're aware of that.

Personally I think that picking on players who are relatively new to the server through whatever means is much worse than killing someone like hatecrime with a bug, especially since he's the sort of person who likes to pick on players who are relatively new to the server and has in the past declared his intent to drive the server into the ground.
  3. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

TL;DR but is anyone interested in a kinky round of Gate Petting ?
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Means such as repeatedly punking players who get mad that you just PKed them and generally grinding new(er) PvPers down until they just don't want to try anymore?

I thought that was just called 'playing UO'. :/
  5. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Blaise is that what you think we do?
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've taken part in it, so, yes. It's no shocker that it's hard to find a team to compete with us when we selectively target people who get mad as the people who should get shit on the most. Not saying it's not part of the game or in everyone's right to do so. This is Felucca, after all. However, I grew increasingly uncomfortable to see the big shit talker victims rage and froth until they just couldn't handle the constant death anymore and moved on to other pastures.

So technically speaking, it's not what I think you (previously 'we') do, it's what I know is being done. Yeah, some people deserve some real beating but the tendency to get carried away to the point of people quitting over it, leaves a bad taste in my mouth as much as Jack leaving because he can't have discourse without blowing a gasket.

You know as well as I do that lenience is granted to the peaceful victims and losers of fights. The ones who talk the most shit get ground to dust. It is known.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Ah okay - in regards to the guys that really rage it's true that we can tease them pretty hard at times. Kinda goes back to your trash talk thread I haven't really responded to yet. But I'd like to think we're really big on helping new players (and new pvpers) and trying to be good sports (even if Rikktor is a counter example.) As far as punking the guys that rage you're right. Sometimes we kill a guy like shadowjack's thief and all brace for the rage on renaissance and I'm not sure what to call it but mean spirited is probably accurate. When it comes to the roleplay community, new players, or new pvpers however, I'd like to think we have more class than anyone in our interactions with them.

*oh and did I want Russell, Shadowjack, Turalton or any of those famous ragers to quit - no. I may have been there at big meltdowns (and found them funny) but not there to push them over the edge. I usually try to calm them down.
    Jupiter likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what to call it either. I mean, it is justified in my head and I'll be the first to say I have reskilled someone dozens of times in one instance just because I didn't like how they treated me then or another time. I don't even think it would be wise for anyone to cease such actions. It's probably a detriment to the shard but if you are not consistent, then people will just assume it is ok to be a mouth-foaming rager. I guess you're teaching people but I see a lot less conversation with these ragers in attempt to teach, than I see folks making a game of it. I don't know the answer or the best path I just wish there was a way to teach people how to not go batshit crazy just because they got wtfbbqpwned.
    corruption likes this.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I'm just glad you and I had a public conversation without hating each other at the end of it! It's gotten heated between us lately and it always bums me out.
    corruption likes this.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Meh, totally love all you guys. Not gonna hate you for disagreeing, even if it sounds like it. :)
    corruption likes this.
  11. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I think theres a difference between mean spirited with malice, and mean spirited in the spirit of the game. I 100% believe that *EVERYONE* in this thread is on that same page -- TT, -3- W^T, otherwise -- even if the arguments would lead to believe otherwise. I don't genuinely think anyone who's posted in this thread has a serious problem with anyone else here, and I think that being mean spirited within the spirit of the game is not only acceptable -- but to some extent essential to bring forth the activity that we all come to a Feluccan shard to experience.

Love them or hate them, this is the very same reason I love Matron and Chum.
    Blaise likes this.
  12. The Musician

The Musician Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I am a PvMer and I enjoy the PvM aspect on this server. The mechanics that are set in stone now are great in my eyes, but could differ in a pvp/pk view point of view.

I vote to keep it the way it is. NO pet gating.
  13. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

[​IMG]

This thread just got boring. I hope you're happy.
  14. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

i have never seen such blatant and ham-handed hypocrisy. you have such a blind spot for your own actions that you can not even see it. you truly are delusional, blaise.

it seems conspicuous to me that you said absolutely nothing about any of these alleged morally inept actions while you were with us in Mumble. you watched everything we did as it happened, participated in it and laughed along with us. now that you've raged out and left the group due to my banning you from our IRC channel, however, you simply can not stop talking about how reprehensible it all was.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I do stop talking about it, but I'm definitely not forgetting it or pretending it's not the truth. Yes, I was there and occasionally had a hand in dealings that I was uncomfortable with. I did, in fact, speak out about things I disagreed with, and still do. I've also, quite clearly, stated that I've done plenty of wrong as well. If you want to call that blind, then you're retarded. If you want to cite specific examples, go right ahead. I won't deny anything that's true.

Specifically, the way you treat people you call friends, makes me not want to be around you. Yea, I laughed at bart's voice message and the mockery made of it. I'm not proud of it and regret being a part of it, but I certainly won't be doing it again and I'd like to think anyone I've called in person, as a friend, would never do such a thing. I won't be using IRC channels registered by you, nor your mumble server because you are a ban happy chump who can't handle adult discourse or conversation. I left the group because I wasn't going to pull some 'me or him' ultimatum bullshit. I don't care for you, so I took the ban you doled out so quickly, and ran with it. Thanks for helping me get back on the path of the Virtues. Garriott would approve.
  16. Athena

Athena Active Member

[​IMG]

I wanted to join the picture squad.
    Liberation, Jupiter, Xegugg and 3 others like this.
  17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

As someone who uses their tamer the majority of the time I think this is a fantastic idea, it would really add a good use to pet summoning balls.
  18. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Anything that Liberation says in this thread, the Franz agrees with! Now when this final vote has been cast, get the changes going!
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Or, in the event of a newer tamer with only a single bonding slot, it provides the ability to trap their tames somewhere and literally shut down their character for 24 hours until the tames go wild.

Sounds great. I'm sure all the non-veteran tamers will be rejoicing at the 24 break from UO, provided by bitter children seeking to ruin the game play of others.
    Basoosh likes this.
  20. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Oh, boo mother fuckin hoo. A tamer, the most powerful money farmer, can't farm for 24 hours. Give me a break. Farmers already have it so incredibly easy and relatively hassle free as it is. I'm not gonna feel sorry for someone because their TWO dragons or wyrms are out of commission for a short time. It's bad enough there's an additional 3 control slots so you can wield another ass smashing pet to your arsenal...
    Liberation and Jakob like this.