Playing UO Renaissance on a Mac OSX using a download and play package

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by nkr, Aug 6, 2014.

1. nkr

nkr Member

Yea thats really weird.

Have you tried reinstalling it?
  2. Magpie

Magpie New Member

Yeah, several times. :(
  3. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Woah! BEST EVER! You're the best!

I've been asking and waiting for this for all eternity. Recently got Mavericks and my old UO-file from IPY shard didn't work. Lo and behold, as I was searching I found the UOR finally had one of it's own!

I do experience three problems, none crucial however, do you have anything to say about these?

- Mouse pointer: Moves slower as soon as it hovers above the UO
    window
    - Running: The edges get grey as if the graphic and color isn't
    catching up.
    - Music: I could never hear the wonderful UO music with my old
    client, neither with this one.
  4. Kayro

Kayro New Member

I tell ya - I just used the full Mac download, working on an older Mac running 10.6.8 ... works perfectly! Thanks!
  5. Magpie

Magpie New Member

Hmm... maybe I should try an older Mac I have at home instead of my work Mac (which is brand spankin' new.) Maybe that'll work better.
  6. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

I haven't tested the CTRL-key, but at least the ALT-key doesn't work for macros. Instead the CMD-key is recognised as ALT, problem is though, when pressing say CMD+W (command for closing a window) the OS recognise it as a command and terminates UO. Fatal!

I know it's possible to make this function as on a PC however, since my last mac UO had it working, but I don't know how to actually get it done. I found a forum post on uogamers.com addressing exactly this when describing how to install UO on a mac. But it includes many steps, installing wine, X11, etc. I don't know how X11 works really, I downloaded it (or XQuarks which it seems to be named nowadays) and found the very menu below but I have no clue how to "connect" these settings to UO. Any ideas? The old mac UO I had had already done this somehow, the package was automatically installed with wine and X11 to make all things work I think.

7. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Sometimes I forget and try to bind something to alt-f4. xD
  8. socalledsin

socalledsin New Member

Does anyone else get an occasional 3-4 second freeze while playing? I am experiencing it on 2 different macs, but not my Windows pc. Its not unplayable by any means, but always happens at the worst time lol.
  9. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Somehow that vile 'smart cpu-reduction' thing on Razor probably got checked.
  10. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I typically play UO on a desktop PC, but my laptop is a mac. I just downloaded this and it works great! The one concern I have is data usage... I typically would only use my laptop when I am not home, and want to grab a BOD or something quick like that, and often done from limited data connections (where there is a total monthly usage amount, etc.) Granted this game was created to run on 56k dial-ups I assume this would be no problem....

In tracking the data usage of the app, I get about 2GB sent and and 2GB received in about 3.5min of being on the title screen!! Then by going in to play, recalling to a town, getting a BOD, running to next shop getting other BOD, and logging out (less than 10min total) I am approaching 7GB data transferred in each direction (Tracked JUST from this application) What is it sending/receiving?? That is way too much Data? I will blow my limits before I even enter my password at that rate :( It also raises some concern at what data is it sending/receiving?

Thank you for any insight on this.
    Vlar likes this.
  11. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

This thread should be pinned!
  12. Lordim

Lordim New Member

Downloaded and played with out any (Major) problems, my mac was whining cause this isn't from the app store and from an identified developer. only 2 very minor things you can notice but i don't really care enough to complain.running:MAC book Air (late 2013)Intel i5 1.3GHz turbo to 2.38GB of DDR3 Ramand integrated intel graphics 5000 series.Running on Yosemite. or OSX11
    Vlar likes this.
  13. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Im using it on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS X lion. I bought it in Nov 2011. I don't really know what that means but I always see other mac users report their models and OS version. Anyway Im running this and it runs flawlessly. UO ran fine in Parallels but starting and stopping it was a pain because of how much it slowed my mac down rendering the Mac OS useless and windows nearly crippled. I was planning to buy windows today but las night I saw this and decided to give it a try. Glad I did! Thanks a bunch!
  14. Rip curL

Rip curL New Member

Hey nkr how you doing?

1- How can i use this wrapper with a different ultima online version like mondain legacy?

im playing here and in another shard that support only mondain legacy version because of the new mount like unicorn.

2- Another doubt, in the very beginning razor was showing me the bar with information about my life, mana and other stuff. Now i cant see the bar anymore, this is what i see: "X Ultima Online"

Can you help me fix it?

3- Sometimes when im playing the screen seems to blink, this is a little annoying because it looks like an command+tab

Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  15. David Scraggs

Everything was going fine then I duplicated it on my mac to run two accounts at once. Worked fine a time or two. Now when I try to log on it freezes when I click the forward arrow after typing my password. I tried uninstalling and deleting the system files, restarting, then reinstalling. Didn't work. If I let it just sit there it comes up and says cannot connect to UO. ANy Ideas?
  16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Ew... still messed up?
  17. David Scraggs

I got home and everything worked flawlessly again… Lost all of my macros. lol. It is something with my school internet access not allowing me to access the login server or something. I don't know enough to adjust the setting either.
  18. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Most likely they have a firewall blocking outgoing connections through a range of ports that might include UO:R's one and if it's the case you have nothing to do about it unless using another internet connection.
  19. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

@David Scraggs - I believe this is a violation of your academic freedoms and liberties and you should take appropriate action like: picketing outside the main office with handwritten signs reading UOR 4 LIFE and Free Interwebs 4 Everyones.
    Vlar likes this.
  20. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Agreed and please provide us with proper coverage of the act including photos, videos and police reports.