Playing UO Renaissance on a Mac OSX using a download and play package

Discussion in 'Server & Client Support' started by nkr, Aug 6, 2014.

1. nkr

nkr Member

Hey guys, the only way to run it twice is copying it, yes.
  2. Azerothian

Azerothian Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I get an x11 error when I try to run the app (see image).
    x11.app is installed.
    I have now made sure XQuartz is installed but get the same error.

I do wonder if this could be because I installed the latest OSX the other day, El Capitan, 10.11.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  3. Ren

Ren Member
    UO:R Donor

It is. Apple added System Integrity Protection to the latest version of the operating system, thereby limiting the power of the root account and what it can access (X11 is one of those things if I am not mistaken). To disable the protection on El Capitan:
    1. Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode by restarting your computer and holding down Command+R until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
    2. Click Utilities > Terminal.
    3. In the Terminal window, type in csrutil disable and press Enter.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    I have not had a chance to test this yet as I just did the update on my home machine over the weekend.

I should have some time right after work to test this on my El Capitan work machine. Will post results then.
    Kishember, Vlar and Azerothian like this.
  4. Ren

Ren Member
    UO:R Donor

For those interested, I can confirm that disabling SIP on El Capitan will allow the Mac application for UO Renaissance to run.
    Azerothian likes this.
  5. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I've tried to do this and it doesn't work. Four options come up:
    1. I don't use time machine. This is something I really must get to grips with, investing in a pen drive of probably 64 gig.
    2. reinstalling OSX would delete everything, passwords, all files, and other settings (unless you use time machine).
    3. get help online from Apple, while offline, doesn't work as I can't access wifi or internet (that is probably my poor computer knowledge).
    4. disk utility has already told me that the disk can't be repaired. I don't have the original disk for mountain lion. But today I checked out disk utility on my Mac (now with El Capitan) it seems OK. I have 70 gig of unused capacity.

Thanks for trying, I very much appreciate it. But I am just going to have to give up. I will wait until the end of October before deleting the UOR download, and now that others have El Capitan I would have thought that the Mac download for UOR would need to be reworked to take El Capitan into account. If so, this might solve my problem for me, just waiting for the new Mac version to be in place!

All in all it looks promising.
  6. Azerothian

This worked brilliantly! Thank you Ren!

I must admit that, like Kishember, I initially thought, "Oh no! It does not work!" because the four buttons on the Recovery Mode screen did not tally with the need to "Click Utilities > Terminal," but then I noticed the menu bar at the top of the screen that had a Utilities menu that when clicked had a Terminal menu-item and it was all downhill from there.

Now I just need to work out how to make UOAM work on the mac because I used it back in 2000 on the main UO and I really miss knowing where I am…
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Kishember likes this.
  7. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

It worked for me too. I am back in-game. The only difference is that I have to start my characters off again. So I am back in Occlo with a new blacksmith.
  8. Azerothian

…and then, all of a sudden, the uo:r app was running fullscreen and so I could not see the razor titlebar and I have no idea what buttons to press to get UO/wine out of fullscreen and so I am uninstalling and reinstalling. I hope that I do not lose my toons. I am expecting to have lost all of my razor macros and setup, though.

In case this happens again (and I have no idea what caused it), how do I get it out of fullscreen when this happens?

Also, where is the razor config/macros stored on a mac so that I can back it up?
  9. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

After you select "show package contents," it's under drive_c\users\wineskin\application data\razor.

I've had the client go wacky full screen on me from time to time. Command + Enter might bring you back.
  10. Azerothian

I did some investigation after the reinstall did not fix it, strangely, and it turns out that I had pasted something into UO that included the string "max" which puts UO/wine into fullscreen and back out of it again.

Thanks for the backup info because some other weird happening had me setting Razor up again and then it all just disappeared (settings and macros) so I had to set it all up AGAIN. I have now backed it up so that should help.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  11. marnoldi

marnoldi New Member

Hey nkr,

First off, thank you for making UO for Mac!

After installing, I am getting an error code when I try to open the game for the first time.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Here is the error I am receiving:

The application X11 could not be opened.

An error occurred while starting the X11 server: "Failed to activate core devices."

Click Quit to quit X11. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple.
  12. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I've got my UO sorted now. I would just like to thank you for making UO for Mac. I am very grateful to be able to play UO on my Mac, it seems like a miracle! Thanks folks!
    :):):):):)
  13. willie

willie Active Member

anyone know how to copy and paste macros on a mac and how to get auto map working?
  14. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I think you have to have parallels installed. I believe UAM runs on that, though I have never tried, never understood how to get it working...
  15. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member

Its easy to do. Find your UO Renaissance.app and right click on it. Select "Show Package Contents". Then open the Drive_c folder and go to the users\Wineskin\Application Data\Razor folder. This is where all your Razor files are. Drop your macros in the Macros folder there and you are good to go.

If you want to run other programs besides just Razor, create a batch file that launches other stuff. I have "My Documents" mapped to my Mac user profile's Documents so I keep my UOAM program and files there.

I saved this text file right in the Drive_C folder as startuo.cmd

Code:
    @echo off
    start "razor" /D "c:\program files\Razor" "c:\program files\Razor\Razor.exe"
    start "UOAM" /D "C:\Users\[USER ID]\Documents\uo\UOAM" "C:\Users\[USER ID]\BoxSync\Documents\uo\UOAM\uoam_locked.exe"
    Make sure you change the [USER ID] to your user name without the brackets so the path is correct.

Now instead of launching the razor.exe you need to tell Wineskin to load your startuo.cmd instead. Go back to the top level of the UO Renaissance.app and launch Wineskin.app. Click on the Advanced button. Then change the Windows EXE to /uostart.bat. Make sure to also check "use Start.exe"

You can put any other program in that list that you want. I have used UOCartographer in the past instead of UOAM. Its easy to just change the script to suit your needs.
    compsays likes this.
  16. Azerothian

17. nkr

nkr Member

Hey guys,

Anyone having trouble with this?

I can try and help out.

Cheers!
  18. nkr

nkr Member

Hey guys, Ive updated the package!!

Just re-download the package on the shard's website!
    Chadarius, Alice Asteroid and Heretic like this.
  19. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Thanks! What razor files do I need to keep from the last package so I don't lose all my macros and agents and stuff?
  20. nkr

nkr Member

Okay, what you need to do is:

- Find your UO Renaissance app on the Applications Folder.
    - Right Click, Show Package Contents
    - Navigate to drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/Razor
    - Copy everything inside that folder
    - Find your new UO Renaissance 2016 app on the Applications Folder
    - Right Click, Show Package Contents
    - Navigate to drive_c/users/Wineskin/Application Data/Razor
    - Paste everything you copied from the other app

Let me know if this works :)
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016