PSA: Griefing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Liberation, May 8, 2014.

1. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

For the record, its intended to be fixed as I've always understood it. The temporary fixes in place (1dmg on chain lightning and meteor swarm in a house) were always intended as precisely that -- a temporary fix -- because modifying the way that LOS works has drastic effects on the game world in general. This is not a fix you want someone to take to lightheartedly.

As for the topic, Stranger, I <3 you :)
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

We would make the sweetest pixel babies.

For eating.

Stranger, you have been the front runner and engineer behind your own personal smear campaign since you started here. I'd like to humbly notify you that you are doing well. You have made a significant amount of enemies and your predecessors Double Vision, Turalton and Jento would all be proud and a bit envious.

Keep up the good work.
  3. Urza

Urza Active Member

This is true anger.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Rightly so. House killing and other mechanic-abuse type things are stupid and not a good thing for the game. Which is why they are being corrected. Danger should still exist but your home should be safe, unless you failed to take proper security steps into account.
  5. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    corruption likes this.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

That gif is why my daughter wants an alpaca when we move.
  7. sanguine

sanguine Member

If I recall on OSI servers, GM's were farly lenient toward anything that pissed people off. The only thing that really got you suspended was verbal abuse/racist remarks. As for physically doing something to players in game, I did much aggravating actions and was never suspended for that. It's a player based community you're supposed to handle it yourself. If someone wants to troll around just to annoy players/make the game harder, that's Ultima Online for you. That's the game you're playing.

I had this kid on OSI who thought for some reason my brother and I were his best friend, I guess he didn't get all the hints we didn't care for him. But we are standing in his house with him (he is on an alt account) and suddently, his whole house collpses (apparently he had not refreshed it with a character in some time)... man the rares that poor fellow had. We grabbed as much as we could and started making gates out, all the while hes grabbing things yelling "YOUR GONNA GIVE THE STUFF BACK RIGHT"

haha sorry buddy but I'm not giving you 10 mill worth of rares back because you're my fanboy and were too newb to refresh your house literally as your bragging and showing us all your rares.

yeah, I was a dick then but what do you expect from a 13-14 year old and his 12 year old brother? lol
  8. Sha-noobie

Sha-noobie Member

Well said, but I would not consider standing against the wrong wall a security step... its a flawed mechanic and should be (hopefully will be) addressed.
  9. corruption

It will be, but most people fail to realize just how complex this change would be. This isn't simply a "turn off certain things in houses" change -- this requires modification entirely of how the Line of Sight subsystem functions. The wrong change could make things 10x worse, not better, and as such this is one of those things that needs to be done without a rush, and with LOTS of testing before rolling out.
  10. Sha-noobie

Sha-noobie Member

Some genius in IRC said to get a bigger house as a way to fix. Now that, is a temporary fix... how bout reduce damage to zero on chain lightning and meteor swarm in a house? problem solved?
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Knowing full well there are several spells in the game (not to mention explosion potions) that have Area of Effect, the onus is on you. It is a nice thought that they are working to make houses at least logically safe to an extent here, rather than allow throwing purple potions under houses and other such nonsense.
  12. corruption

But it doesn't actually solve the problem; these are far from the only potential causes -- just the most common ones. That also is likely not the right long-term fix, because that negates the potential for people doing more diverse events within player housing. The proper solution is much more involved and will require a significant amount of testing.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

How about reduce tears to 0 and learn the damn game? It's a far cry easier here than elseware, without ruining the fun. If damage is completely removed from outside the house to inside, house-hiding will be the defacto standard for pvp. Enemy loaded spells? Great, step on the porch, you're now safe.

Pass.
    pctomm, [Mobolin] and corruption like this.
  14. Sha-noobie

Sha-noobie Member

I don't profess to be an all knowing blowhard... that job has many applicants it seems. I just know that it's an issue that deserves attention. I guess until then, the foxes rule the roost.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If you knew even half of what you were talking about, you would know it HAS GOTTEN ATTENTION. A hell of a lot more than any other shard I know of really.

For a few examples, that maybe you'll pay attention to after the fiftieth time reading them:

Meteor Swarm/Chainlightning do 1 dmg in house regions.
    You cannot cast summons (blade spirits, EVs) INTO player's homes anymore, from the outside.
    Purple potion damage range through walls was restricted.

Is there anything else you want to say, or just more complaints about what you want done THAT IS ALREADY BEING DONE?
    Mes likes this.
  16. Sha-noobie

Sha-noobie Member

Okay, problem solved. Carry on... o_O
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

My definition of a griefer is somebody who doesn't stay to finish the fight.

Want to raid my game? fine, but don't practice recall/return/offscreen/recall/return tactics. I know, it's part of the mechanics that you can recall away if you're outmatched or you are outnumbered, but that's what bothers me most if I run into folks who like to conduct negative actions on me.

Most PKs/Thieves if outnumbered/outclassed will resort to these tactics at which point they become SUPER obnoxious and in my book become griefers.

I rarely engage in fights because I tire of this type of fighting.
  18. Kexle

Kexle Active Member

You all made this long ass argument with lots of rebuttles when reall all anyone had to say was this : Griefing is all relative to the supposed griefer and the supposed griefing victim.
    Vlar likes this.
  19. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Always thought there was no griefers, just griefed.

House killing : The game was not designed for players to go afk all night in their house. You supposed to play the game.
    Jupiter likes this.
  20. Caleb Holman

Caleb Holman Active Member

Exactly.

Also, just because you are allowed to do something in the game doesn't mean it's necessarily a play style. Many of the freedoms that are allowed in this game obviously are easily exploited and lead to douchebaggery. I would even say that grefing is an acceptable play style in UO.

This is a video game, but it effects everyone in very real very different ways. If someone steals your shit irl you get pissed, and if someone steals your shit in a game you will probably get pissed. "You should be more careful" Very very true, you can avoid most turmoil in uo.

The same shit that makes this game awesome allows for people to be assholes. You'll never change it, and you really cant police it without going the same route as OSI. I think I read an article once that OSI made tram because they thought the pk population was way too large, and at the time it was 10%. I believe it also said 90% of the players at the time started playing in tram.

When you have a small group of good or better pvpers running around doing anything they want because it's allowed, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ok. I personally am not going to do any champ spawns for a while, due to the stuff going on right now. To work a champ spawn for hours only to have a group of pks roll in is not my cup of tea.