So where are the magic rings, earrings, necklaces?

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by CrazyJoe, May 21, 2014.

1. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

We have custom end-game content, we have slight adjustments to skills, and we have things from a mish-mash of eras. Era accuracy is a guideline, but there is definitely not strict adherence to it. I say that's a good thing. Old UO was obviously great, but far from impossible to improve upon. If this were just Voldeshard re-hashed again, I would not be here.

All that aside, I'm in for magic jewelry/clothing. I don't PvP, though, so that crowd should probably weigh in on it.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Jewelry makes good players better and bad players worse. It reduces the randomness of combat a bit, by letting more prepared players benefit a bit more from their preparedness. A solo player can really benefit from that stuff. And, given that it disproportionately helps dexers by giving them more spell access, I think it might help flatten out the pvp templates used effectively here.
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  4. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Gimme some teleport and invis jewelery & will show you just how bad the bad can be !
  5. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Active Member

I had some night eyes earrings that were invaluable to me back in the day. I could see where other objects could become a scale buster in PvP but wouldn't it be evened out if the other side had something?
    Khan likes this.
  6. Gideon Jura

7. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

These items existed in the Renaissance era. However they no longer spawned. This was the result of OSI making the inscription changes to the various beneficial spells which rendered the functions of those items invalid.

So the items existed but they could no longer be found.

Their inclusion here has been debated but no decision has been made.

Players are welcome to discuss this aspect in more detail. Pro's, Con's, Balance, Imbalance.
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Active Member

I can totally see how some of them would get abused with Razor's ability (Hell I only recently learned of the beauty of explosion/purple potion/ebolt combo in razor).

Invisibility and teleport rings were awesome when dungeon romping, simply to escape a hairy situations - despite being a total PITA to double click on.
  9. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Most of us played on a T2A era accurate shard prior to UOR's existence, where these items were the norm for PVP. The epiphany you had with the purp/EB combo -- that was the PVP scene there. Razor completely changes the game with these items, cuz what was once difficult to dclick for using a charge, becomes a swift keystroke. Suddenly, anyone can invis/tele/reflect in a moments notice with no mana hit -- and the one with the most efficient ability to use them is typically the winner. As Gideon said, the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker due to being outclassed.

I'm with Jupiter, from a fantasy standpoint -- they absolutely make sense in this world based off of too many Tolkein-esque paradigms to count -- however, I don't know a good way to balance them. Even scarcity will eventually be defeated, with the natural hoarding tendency that comes with MMO players (and UO players especially) -- though that would obviously be down the line.

Unfortunately, I don't think that theres an easy answer for the balancing aspect for these.
    Jupiter and [Mobolin] like this.
  10. Gideon Jura

Jupiter likes this.
  11. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

We haven't had them this long, I see no reason to add them now. I was actually relieved when I discovered these teleport/invis items weren't here. I feel dirty just thinking about them.
  12. Gideon Jura

13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I really really look forward to a no-mount perpetual land mass/area that we can play in without having to log onto another server or join a CTF match. I don't want the whole world like that but knowing that anyone I see in a given area will be on foot, would make me want to go hang out there on a pretty regular basis with my PvM chars.
  14. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Jewelry has no place here. Unless you want me teleport ringing on top of you while you run and stunning you, or me loading magic reflect and then throwing a protect bracelet on, which with inscription, would give me 15 circles of reflect plus I would be undisruptable. Or someone can be in the middle of a dump and bam your opponent tosses on a reflect item which is retarded. A dexxer would annihilate mages. Even if you can't stack item abilities (I.e. Reflect/protect) there is such a large area of abuse to be exploited it's not even funny. Trust me because I am phenomenal at finding ways to abuse anything at my disposal to help me on the field. Bless items are okay I suppose except that they're pretty useless. And magic reflect items are an absolute pvp killer in this era. This isn't like UOSA where reflect is easily removed with a single circle spell. They're a horrible idea for this era and should not be considered an option imo. If you want to perfect history, omit the thought of adding such items.

All this talk about "adding a no mount zone" or a "jewelry zone" for those who wish to partake in said activities...nigga this server can't hardly muster enough people for a solid, legitimate faction war and y'all wanna go further dividing peoples interests? Maybe if we had 1000 active players, then we could start adding more diverse player instances, but not now..
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Jack of Shadows, Punt and [Mobolin] like this.
  15. Gideon Jura

16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Agree.
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I dunno really, I was thinking like some area of T2A or somewhere that is under used. I wouldn't be opposed to a specific dungeon being mount-free in its entirety. Something that doesn't get a lot of action, like Khaldun or something, just as a thought.

Or add a dungeon from one of the unused areas on the map.

I have a feeling that there would be great deal of PvP going on if there were a specific area that had mount restrictions coupled with recall restrictions. Yes, it's challenging and restrictive...which is entirely the point.
  18. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

I know a good place...........
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

ORC CAVES!!!!!!
  20. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

This x1000
    [Mobolin] likes this.